Todd's Becker Patrol Pack

Murphnuge

Well, he finally got a Becker Patrol pack. It was my fault, it was offered to me first, but I thought Todd needed it more than I did. Anyway, he gets the thing and it's still hanging in the shop empty. I think he's planning on it being a grab and go "edc"/woods pack, little of everything really. Since Todd's pretty much clueless on "edc" stuff, I'm opening it up for advice and suggestions. Help this poor fella with his loadout.

You duct tape the beer in hand so you don't drop, what with all the vaseline you been handling, grip ain't as good.

On a serious note, I keep a few things in my pack regardless of the outing.

1. Tarp (Equinox 10' x 10' Urethane Coated Nylon [silnylon is smaller, but it is really, really hard to pack cause it is so slick, and it is really expensive comparatively] rolls up to about nalgene size)
2. Poncho (This is silnylon, just because it is so much smaller, and could be used as a tarp in a pinch)
3. Snow Peak Ti Mini Solo cookset & Snow Peak Ti Litemax stove
4. Packtowl Ultralight XXL (these things are frickin stupid awesome, and absorb something like 7 times as much water as a regular towel, fold up to barely anything, and can be dried in a matter of minutes after wringing them out)
5. Snugpak Travelpak (one of the smaller sleeping bags, rated to something like 40° for comfort, slightly bigger than a nalgene when rolled up, with a space blanket it would keep you alive in lower temps, especially if you have a fire, also it unzips to a full blanket)
6. Hammock (because it's a really easy way to get off the ground and have a cozy, comfortable place to sleep)
7. Headlamp (I cheap out and use one of the Energizer four setting ones from Walmart, I've only had to change the batteries once in three years, and it has been used alot, so it must run on bullshit as much as batteries)
8. Guyot Backpacker stainless steel bottle (with a GSI Glacier cup or that new one from the Pathfinder School, whichever)
9. 10 liter Sea to Summit heavy duty dry bag (can hold water, can keep your stuff out of water, when not being used takes up very little space, and can keep all your stuff dry in a pinch [if you use it to haul water, turn it inside out first])
10. MSR Miniworks EX (water filter that very conveniently screws onto the Guyot bottle, or any nalgene bottle [I am planning on trying out one of the Sawyer water filters as they are smaller, have a longer usage cycle, and are allegedly faster flowing and easier to use, but for now, this is what I use])
11. First Aid Kit (vaseline, bandages, benedryl, ibuprofen, Imodium AD, tweezers, etc...)
12. Gloves (Hatch leather palmed shooting gloves of some sort, thin, form fitting, and save your hands when doing any work outside)
13. MSR 1 liter stowaway pot (great container for holding stuff, cooking, whatever)
14. Knife(s) (Usually several. And a multitool.)
15. Ear plugs (never know when you are going to need ear protection, either from shooting or snoring)

Last edited:
On a serious note, I keep a few things in my pack regardless of the outing.

1. Tarp (Equinox 10' x 10' Urethane Coated Nylon [silnylon is smaller, but it is really, really hard to pack cause it is so slick, and it is really expensive comparatively] rolls up to about nalgene size)
2. Poncho (This is silnylon, just because it is so much smaller, and could be used as a tarp in a pinch)
3. Snow Peak Ti Mini Solo cookset & Snow Peak Ti Litemax stove
4. Packtowl Ultralight XXL (these things are frickin stupid awesome, and absorb something like 7 times as much water as a regular towel, fold up to barely anything, and can be dried in a matter of minutes after wringing them out)
5. Snugpak Travelpak (one of the smaller sleeping bags, rated to something like 40° for comfort, slightly bigger than a nalgene when rolled up, with a space blanket it would keep you alive in lower temps, especially if you have a fire, also it unzips to a full blanket)
6. Hammock (because it's a really easy way to get off the ground and have a cozy, comfortable place to sleep)
7. Headlamp (I cheap out and use one of the Energizer four setting ones from Walmart, I've only had to change the batteries once in three years, and it has been used alot, so it must run on bullshit as much as batteries)
8. Guyot Backpacker stainless steel bottle (with a GSI Glacier cup or that new one from the Pathfinder School, whichever)
9. 10 liter Sea to Summit heavy duty dry bag (can hold water, can keep your stuff out of water, when not being used takes up very little space, and can keep all your stuff dry in a pinch [if you use it to haul water, turn it inside out first])
10. MSR Miniworks EX (water filter that very conveniently screws onto the Guyot bottle, or any nalgene bottle [I am planning on trying out one of the Sawyer water filters as they are smaller, have a longer usage cycle, and are allegedly faster flowing and easier to use, but for now, this is what I use])
11. First Aid Kit (vaseline, bandages, benedryl, ibuprofen, Imodium AD, tweezers, etc...)
12. Gloves (Hatch leather palmed shooting gloves of some sort, thin, form fitting, and save your hands when doing any work outside)
13. MSR 1 lite stowaway pot (great container for holding stuff, cooking, whatever)
14. Knife(s) (Usually several. And a multitool.)
15. Ear plugs (never know when you are going to need ear protection, either from shooting or snoring)

I see nothing here that duct tape, beer and Vaseline won't cover. But you win for sheer detail.

Yes its true. The patrol pack has been hanging in the shop since I got it. I think it tears Murph up that its just hanging there and not being used. Which honestly is the reason its there. :D but, for the money I got in this thing I can't justify the tourtue of Murph to much longer. He already gave me a nice metal water bottle to try to give me a hint. So, I need to put some thought into what I'm gonna put in it. So far I got beer, duct tape, vasaline, and a nice shinny waterbottle. Anybody know where I can get a good knife to put in it? :D

I suggest replacing the beer with some whiskey, perhaps Makers Mark. You get more bang for your buck when you are having to carry liquid weight, and you can disinfect wounds like they did in the old days, and you can use it for anesthesia if you are digging a bullet out of someone like they did in the old days, and you might even be able to use it to help start a fire! Whiskey is a much better choice than beer fellas...

OK. OK. I'll admit it...I like whiskey just as much as beer. :thumbup:

I suggest replacing the beer with some whiskey, perhaps Makers Mark. You get more bang for your buck when you are having to carry liquid weight, and you can disinfect wounds like they did in the old days, and you can use it for anesthesia if you are digging a bullet out of someone like they did in the old days, and you might even be able to use it to help start a fire! Whiskey is a much better choice than beer fellas...

OK. OK. I'll admit it...I like whiskey just as much as beer. :thumbup:

Huh. Murph and I figured you for a dougnut type of guy! :D

Mmmmmm...I love donuts too Todd. Especially the blueberry glazed from Dunkin Donuts :pig: but me likes whiskey better :)

Last edited:
Back