Tojiro curved boning knife

I have recently bought both the tojiro flash and tojiro dp boning knives and I'm not impressed. I'm a professional butcher and also own my own deer processing business. I primarily use Wenger swibo and mora. Through alot of reading and suggestions, I should try using japanese knives. Well I dislike all the shapes I've tried but was impressed with the edge retention of my friends shun and global knives. So I found the tojiro flash and dp and loved the western style shape. Upon receiving I tried them on a few deer and noticed that the knives had memory!! When bending it retains the bend until physically straightened back. Is this common??!? Also while deboning a deer ham I picked up a large knick in the blade. I wasnt even being to rough at all. I've used aus8 steel alot and never chipped on bone that easy.

You're not supposed to bend them.
Japanese knives are normally hardened more than Western knives, so while they retain the edge better they are also less flexible i.e. more chippy. At their failure point they break rather than bend.
Because of that, their usage is not entirely the same. I haven't done full butchery, but with Japanese knives in general blade on bone is not recommended.

Ah I see. Perhaps I should just stick to the easy to resharpen skandvik mora knives. Or just buy the shun or global knives I have used, but I hated the shape or them. It's hard to find a stiff western style curved boning knife shape with good steel. The vg10 steel was much easier to sharpen than I expected. I may just try having a custom set of butcher knives made.

Well Shun is also VG-10. Their Classic series has a reputation of having a questionable heat treat, though their more expensive lines are supposed to be fine. But Shun is also hard and thin.
Take a look at hankotsus, if you are still interested in Japanese knives for butchery. Slipped my mind last night. Made for cutting along bone.
Custom isn't a bad way to go, if you have the cash. Don't know who to go to, but plenty on the board.

Forgot to say - VG-10 has a reputation for having a burr that is hard to remove. Varies by heat treat, not all blades have this problem but some people end up chasing the burr side to side.

Last edited:
Back