Tom Maringer inspired project

a few months ago my good friend dudley sent me photos of a tom maringer vorpal haiku. i was very enchanted with the handle and all its parts. i wanted to try and make something with a similar type of handle. this is my most complex build so far. i started it in early march, and worked on it between other projects here and there.
the blade is 1084, 8 3/4" long. the main bevels are flat ground, the clip was ground with a 4" wheel. the handle parts are all stainless, excluding a few copper bits in the habaki and the set screw in the toggle. the set screw/allen wrench/SS threaded rod were bought at the hardware store, and not made by me. i did not have a thick enough piece of SS to make toms style of toggle, so i invented my own. it is pinned and silver braised. the handle is poplar, pinned with brass for alignment and glued. the sheath is leather with a crocodile facing. thanks for taking a look !

John, that's super impressive! I like the Vorpal Haiku knives a lot, and you did it justice.
Everything is so clean and shiny it's kind of freaking me out!

You did an amazing job from only pictures and, as The Gunny would bark, "You adapted and overcame!". :D

Absolutely beautiful and I'm sure that Tom would approve of your efforts.... :cool:

Impressive work

Wow! Fantastic knife, everything is perfect, you did a super job on that knife.

That's a fantastic piece John and a huge undertaking!!

Is there a reason why you went with 1084? With something that shiny and immaculate, I would think quality stainless might be a good choice. Just curious.
Again, a very cool piece!

Wow, you friggin' killed it.

That is such a beauty I love the construction of these knives. Sort of a hybrid of the Japanese style tang with a rat tail tang. Now most people don't like rat tail tangs but when it is done like this it is done right. I love this construction method! You did a great job. I have always been a fan of the Japanese style knives. I see it in this construction style with the habiki and seppa style spacers by where the ricasso is. Even the way the threaded rat tail part connects to the actual tang of the knife is sort of reminiscent of the mekugi bamboo pegs used on nihon-to. Then to top it all off you went and threw it in a sheath like that!? Dayyyyyuuuum. I haven't got the opportunity to try a sheath like that yet with the stud method of hanging it on your belt. That is something I really want to try ever since I learned about it through some videos from Bill Bagwell.

I mean....terrible work, you better get rid of it. I doubt you will want to keep that around and remind yourself of your shameful failure. Better send that to me and I'll make sure to dispose of it where it won't bring you shame any longer.

Absolutely wonderful work. I am constantly amazed at the brilliant talents that are showcased on BF.:)

Wow, that is special. Impressive work John. Now you need to do a cutting test on bamboo like Tom!

I love, Love, LOVE it! So very clean and cool.

Just a few days ago I was browsing the 'Points of Interest' photo books and came upon a Tom Maringer knife. Similar to this. I paused at how unique all that metal looks when done right.

You nailed it! :thumbsup: Great clear photos as well.

That's one of the most impressive things I've seen on here in awhile

Wonderful

John, the knife is superb! What I find of great interest is the precision involved in the realization of each piece that makes up the knife. Great!

thanks for the great comments ! very humbling. ben, i used 1084 because thats what i am used to, and i do not have stainless HT equipment, nor the patience to send it out and wait for it to come back :D a few times i have wanted to step up and get all the stuff to HT SS, it will probably happen in the near future. i figured it would be viewed as an odd combination, but i was not deterred. i appreciate your comment, i agree it would have been cooler in SS.

John, I am absolutely blown away. Truly and genuinely speechless.

Back