Tony Bose Knives

I have three case Bose knives and they're all great. I like the coffin jack the most... It is incredibly tasteful and the action is outstanding. I have the Wilfred lockback which is a fine knife as well .. the lockback whittler I have had some play.. I sent it back for repair and unfortunately the pivot pin dropped below the bolster two weeks after I received it back.... They'll repair it I'm sure I've just had it sitting. I'd recommend those knives and also John Lloyd's knives which are readily available in the same price bracket... He makes a lot of Bose patterns with 52100 and the quality for the price is great in my experience! I'd recommend Ohta always in the 4-500 range but his stuff is actually difficult to find...

As for slips I use one to keep the knife vertical in my pocket... Not so much for protection of the knife.. because they do look better with wear. I can take a second to pop it out of the slip just like I can take a second to use both hands to open it instead of pushing a button haha I carry my knife in my front right pocket in a slip slightly shorter than the knife which keeps it relatively easy to pull out and it stays vertical.

I haven't been too interested in slipjoints or traditionals, until this thread. Sure, I have some case knives from when I was young, and of course swiss army. I even have a GEC I bought on a whim a couple of years ago. But most of my interest has been in frame lock flippers and more modern styles. But even those interests have actually been shifting heavily towards traditional materials like wood and micarta (Liong Mah Lanny, Hinderer Vintage Series, Wood Shaman, ...).

I am thinking one of these Case / Bose collab pieces could be the ticket.

For people that carry slipjoints, do you carry them in a small pouch or just how them in the pocket without worrying about it? I am just worried about banging it up with my car keys.

I have a few Case/Bose collaborations. I really like it when I get a knife in the mail & after a very thorough inspection, I can't find a single thing I don't like about it. They're that kind of knife.

As far a using a slip......nope, nope, nope, nope. I buy knives to use & if I had to be worried about a knife getting messed up in my pocket, then I probably have no business buying it to begin with. And some old pics.........
DSC00106-X4.jpg

DSC00116-X4.jpg

I own a few of Tony's customs and Case collabs. The collabs are not always perfect, sent two of mine back for defects including the one below. Case fixed the loose blade on this one but my Damascus lockback whittler is still too difficult to unlock. Owning both, the collabs are excellent factory knives, but not in the same league as Bose' customs.

bosestaglannysclip1.jpg

Since you like pics and I like to show off.

bosebakersdozen-1.jpg

His son Reece makes a fine knife too. Not quite as fine as Tony's in my experience but worthy of any pocket.

boseswaybacks-1.jpg

As far as the collabs go, the Case WT is excellent.

caseboseWT-1.jpg

But the custom is much better.

rboseWT.jpg

Tony wasn't always the master he is today. His early knives have historical value, but have seen examples where the fit and finish isn't up to par IMO. If possible, go to a knife show that has dealers who can bring Bose examples of a pattern you like. Tony quit taking orders years ago and threw his list in the trash. Didn't hurt the value of his knives ... probably had the opposite effect.

I own a few of Tony's customs and Case collabs. The collabs are not always perfect, sent two of mine back for defects including the one below. Case fixed the loose blade on this one but my Damascus lockback whittler is still too difficult to unlock. Owning both, the collabs are excellent factory knives, but not in the same league as Bose' customs.

bosestaglannysclip1.jpg

Since you like pics and I like to show off.

bosebakersdozen-1.jpg

His son Reece makes a fine knife too. Not quite as fine as Tony's in my experience but worthy of any pocket.

boseswaybacks-1.jpg

As far as the collabs go, the Case WT is excellent.

caseboseWT-1.jpg

But the custom is much better.

rboseWT.jpg

Tony wasn't always the master he is today. His early knives have historical value, but have seen examples where the fit and finish isn't up to par IMO. If possible, go to a knife show that has dealers who can bring Bose examples of a pattern you like. Tony quit taking orders years ago and threw his list in the trash. Didn't hurt the value of his knives ... probably had the opposite effect.
All I can say is "Wow!"

Prester John Prester John A alongoria pmek5 pmek5 waynorth waynorth thanks for the kind words. My collection exists due to luck and some great friends. Hope I IGotStabbed can decide on a favorite pattern then find the same pattern in a collab or custom. The Case TB patterns like swayback jacks are an inexpensive way to try a pattern before dropping a load. Any GEC 15 pattern is a good starter traditional. Not as inexpensive or available but easy to flip if you don't warm up to it.

Prester John Prester John A alongoria pmek5 pmek5 waynorth waynorth thanks for the kind words. My collection exists due to luck and some great friends. Hope I IGotStabbed can decide on a favorite pattern then find the same pattern in a collab or custom. The Case TB patterns like swayback jacks are an inexpensive way to try a pattern before dropping a load. Any GEC 15 pattern is a good starter traditional. Not as inexpensive or available but easy to flip if you don't warm up to it.

Your collection is mind blowing! Great advice about the GEC 15 pattern. I actually did exactly that and started with a GEC 15 ebony boy's knife before branching out and was able get basically what I paid for the 15 when I decided I liked other patterns a bit more. I agree about the regular production Case/TB patterns too. The Case/TB swayback is easily among the nicest "standard" Case knife I own.

buaaz1P.jpg

7xYFnq5.jpg

Here's my Case Bose collection currently.........
20200603_202843.jpg

Err, I mean here is my Case Bose collection currently. All are carried and used. All are a perfect way to get a feel for the old dogs work. I like a slip not so much for protection of the knife but so that I don't appear to be a perverted ol hotdog smuggler. I can't stand a knife laying sideways in my pocket.
20200603_202555.jpg

Back