Too Much Stuff!

I have started to go through my old stored documents and getting rid of them via a shredder for the more sensitive ones. Do I need bank and credit card statements for 20 years ago? It's amazing what stuff you turn up doing some searching that needs to go.

On the dumpster/rolloff experience, I have dealt with homes where I needed more than a couple 40 yd rolloffs to clean out the debris. One house had little trails inside where you could walk between all the junk and stuff was about 2 feet thick piled up. There was even a motor (no not Mo-Taur) in the living room. Gotta love it.

Just spent 3 hours shredding yesterday. Tip of the iceberg.

Will scan a few things and keep on shredding.

Really amazing what is preserved untouched for decades…waiting for…

Back when I was in still in the Navy, I rented out my house to what turned out to be a pair of packrats and horders. They were still in the house when I got off active duty and went back to school. Since I needed the money, I left them renting it and moved back in with my parents to save money.

Well, the husband died, and the wife moved out, leaving my house, garage, barn and pasture full of cra....

One of the bedrooms had newspapers stack all the way up to the 10 foot ceiling and had a small trail from the door to the bed. Every room was packed full of junk. The garage was packed as well. The husband had set up a welding shop in the barn. Before she left, the wife sold all the equipment, but left all the junk. I also had 4 old bobtail trucks, 3 old pickups, a 50 pax school bus that had been converted into a hunting cabin, square and round hay balers, a couple of tractor frames, a 50 ft house trailer frame and a bunch of other pieces of equipment behind the barn in the pasture. He had hauled all the vehicles and implements in as "supplies" in his "junk art welding" business.

I ended up filling up 4 40 yard dumpsters and a 30 yard dumpster just from the house. The detached garage filled up another 30 yard dumpster. The barn gave up 5 pickup and 16 ft flat bed trailer loads to the dump. 15 years later, I'm still cleaning old implements out of the pasture behind the barn - there is still one tractor frame, the trailer house frame, a round bailer, a cotton trailer and a dozen old implements. It's all non-working and has trees growing around and through them. I have to spend time cutting down and then cutting up trees just to get to remaining pieces and then use a cutting torch to convert all the stuff into manageable sized pieces. Extended burn bans during droughty periods has slowed me down frequently. No outdoor burning includes no cutting torch work.

I hope you at least got some cash for scrap metal to off-set the clean-up cost, amigo... that's a rough leave, fer sher :thumbsdown::mad::thumbsdown:

I was cleaning out a garage. A neighbor said he wanted to help (for pay of course) and there was a lot of scrap metal around... heavy stuff. Anyway, I gave him all the scrap from the house in exchange for cleaning out the garage. He reaped over $1000 for that deal. This was when scrap prices were higher, especially for steel. There was a lot of steel, I-beams and so forth.

The junk in my garage is so compacted that when I remove some, the remaining drek depressurizes and expands to occupy the space I just cleared out.

My wife calls me a hoarder. I grew up with parents who were depression kids . I tend to keep stuff that has a use . I have taken to going through my camping/outdoor stuff and donating stuff I know I won't use to the scouts. I also sold off 6 sewing machine lately

Back