Too "Snooty" for an economy sodbuster?

Just to be sure, I just pulled one of my prized knives out of my pocket. An Emerald Green Pioneer made for the South African market. Gaps in the liners/springs, blade isn't centered, minor blade rub, cast covers have minor imperfections. About what you get for a $30 knife.

Victorinox makes a great and consistent knife, they ain't perfect.

I seldom get a Vic that doesn't exhibit blades rubbing, not a big issue, but they are not perfect. None of my single blade Vics: the bread knife, solo, or gardener have centered blades.

Last edited:
Much, if not most of the lower priced pocket knife field is dominated by "modern" style knives from countries with low labor costs. Regarding sodbusters, I just flat don't like them. I have a Case yellow delrin CV and I tried it at work, I tried it hunting, and I tried it doing yard chores, and never found any love so to speak. It sits in my junk drawer with all of the gun and knife stuff and only occasionally is it taken out and used, usually to scrape gunk off of something. A similar sized knife of a completely different shape might be liked, but the wide, blunt and rounded shape of the sodbuster is a put off to me.

Much, if not most of the lower priced pocket knife field is dominated by "modern" style knives from countries with low labor costs. Regarding sodbusters, I just flat don't like them. I have a Case yellow delrin CV and I tried it at work, I tried it hunting, and I tried it doing yard chores, and never found any love so to speak. It sits in my junk drawer with all of the gun and knife stuff and only occasionally is it taken out and used, usually to scrape gunk off of something. A similar sized knife of a completely different shape might be liked, but the wide, blunt and rounded shape of the sodbuster is a put off to me.

I actually really love that blade shape. It needs to be sharp to be useful though. A pointy knife can make up some for dullness, but a drop point/skinner (or spey for that matter) like on the Sodbuster has got to be sharp.

Blade centering? Blade rub? Walk and talk? Blah, blah, blah.

Not sure if someone put a flea in your BVD's or if you are trying to say that a you don't worry too much about the fit and finish of a beater knife.

If the former, please take it elsewhere.
If the latter, some folks might agree with you, especially if you made yourself clear.

Not sure if someone put a flea in your BVD's or if you are trying to say that a you don't worry too much about the fit and finish of a beater knife.

If the latter, some folks might agree with you, especially if you made yourself clear.
Can't speak for that guy but I would imagine in general those aspects become less important for all when we are viewing products that we know might take a level of abuse. I still expect some degree myself mostly to show there is quality enough in there to take the abuse a knife breaking in use can be a dangerous thing.

I meant the latter.

Last edited:
Blade centering? Blade rub? Walk and talk? Blah, blah, blah.

I agree. None of that effects function, unless the walk/talk is so loose it is a safety hazard. Not sure why someone would expect a knife with the attributes of a custom made or high priced factory knife at the price of an economy sodbuster. I think some people get more pleasure griping about the small faults of their knives than in the use of the tool...

Just now I took a look at some Case Sodbusters. There are full size Sodbusters and SodBuster Jr.'s with composite handles for sale in the $21-25 range. With jigged bone handles the same knives seem to be around $40. I assume this proposed new Sodbuster would have composite handles. What would distinguish it from the Case knives? Would the steel be different?

Are we allowed to ask which company you were talking to? I'm hoping it was Queen and you want to put D2 into a $30 Sodbuster.

Just now I took a look at some Case Sodbusters. There are full size Sodbusters and SodBuster Jr.'s with composite handles for sale in the $21-25 range. With jigged bone handles the same knives seem to be around $40. I assume this proposed new Sodbuster would have composite handles. What would distinguish it from the Case knives? Would the steel be different?

Are we allowed to ask which company you were talking to? I'm hoping it was Queen and you want to put D2 into a $30 Sodbuster.

Woods like Bocote, etc; with a possibility of Micarta. As mentioned at the top, the discussion was D2 initially - but not by Queen. I agree a 420/440/1095 sodbuster would be a bit repetitive. The discussion was not with Queen, GEC, or Case; but I don't really want to clarify that further. My thought was that if someone could work D2; we could later talk about N690 or S35VN or such. Sometimes I just want a really good steel in a frame that I don't cringe every time I bump it.

Sometimes I just want a really good steel in a frame that I don't cringe every time I bump it.
I think this right here is perhaps the starting point for pitching the general idea it might not be as economically priced as first hope but would likely be rather close I imagine. Personally I don't care as much for the sodbuster but would love to see some other types similarly constructed in a more budget friendly price range.

Not to snooty, but I already have a beater Sodbuster.

Still cuts like a razor...
JLXE0UE.jpg

but a few more sharpenings and it's gonna cut like a saw when I reach those pits! :D

Then I'll switch over to this...
Yx1fLvf.jpg

or this
mLwxoXF.jpg

I missed this thread when absent from the Forum this summer.

I especially like this post by "MerryMadMonk". He made a great point about cutting like a saw once the edge reaches the pits. Very good post Al and some very nice Sod Busters.

As to being snooty when choosing a knife, I've never taken that attitude when buying a knife. If it's usable and performs well, the price doesn't matter nor does the steel.

I only have one in this pattern~ a GEC Bullnose in nifebrite. It came with a healthy patina as well as a small amount of tiny pitting. Which is fine with me. Character. Character which knives that are only carried, if ever, in a slip, never sharpened, and only whipped out for photos lack. That’s no criticism, but these are working knives.

It seems like Case has tried to answer the “too snooty for an inexpensive Sodbuster” question by coming out with the bone/stag handled versions. Or more accurately, they are targeting those of us who are too snooty for plain jane busters.
Pretty, but it seems a bit like putting leather seats in my ‘06 Scion with 350,000 miles on it. That car is like a Sodbuster of cars to me, dead reliable and dependable, dinged all to heck, it does it’s job of getting from A to B exceedingly well, gets 35mpg, and costs me almost nothing.

I am a sucker for yellow delrin, so I have wondered about those new Chinese “Schrade” Sodbusters. Under $30? LOL
Some vendors sell them 3 for $20 on the big auction site.

One of you brave souls please take one for the team and buy one. Then use it hard and give us a review!

~Jeff

I see what you did there, Mike, and I tip my cap to you. I paid a little attention when this thread first came around, but soon put it out of my mind. But when that thread came around the other day about the Maserin Sodbuster, I up and ordered one. It was the picture of the Micarta that got me.

There was a little snark about this knife on the other thread, but I say, thanks for putting the idea in my head. I wasn’t looking for a D2 Sodbuster, or for another Sodbuster at all, but I am a man of little imagination, and if somebody didn’t put an idea in my head now and again, I might not have any ideas at all.

I missed this thread when absent from the Forum this summer.

I especially like this post by "MerryMadMonk". He made a great point about cutting like a saw once the edge reaches the pits. Very good post Al and some very nice Sod Busters.

As to being snooty when choosing a knife, I've never taken that attitude when buying a knife. If it's usable and performs well, the price doesn't matter nor does the steel.
My pleasure. Thanks, Ed!

Woods like Bocote, etc; with a possibility of Micarta. As mentioned at the top, the discussion was D2 initially - but not by Queen. I agree a 420/440/1095 sodbuster would be a bit repetitive. The discussion was not with Queen, GEC, or Case; but I don't really want to clarify that further. My thought was that if someone could work D2; we could later talk about N690 or S35VN or such. Sometimes I just want a really good steel in a frame that I don't cringe every time I bump it.

S35VN would totally rule.

I am curious if knifeswapper knifeswapper was talking about the Maserin Sod Buster that recently dropped on his page or if he went to them after. I am interested in it but had seen older runs had a fair number of F&F issues that were difficult to overlook and have concerns about this run having that problem. I do notice the older runs were in cheaper steel and sold at a slightly lower cost so it might be getting a better treatment on this run and Maserin may have improved their production quality since as well.

How 'snooty" would one have to be not to like this orange covered Sod Buster Jr.? It's put together really well with no gaps etc. - just a slightly off center blade in the well. Came in yesterday's mail and was very sharp out of the box.

V1MRt83.jpg

I am curious if knifeswapper knifeswapper was talking about the Maserin Sod Buster that recently dropped on his page or if he went to them after. I am interested in it but had seen older runs had a fair number of F&F issues that were difficult to overlook and have concerns about this run having that problem. I do notice the older runs were in cheaper steel and sold at a slightly lower cost so it might be getting a better treatment on this run and Maserin may have improved their production quality since as well.

The Plow is a direct result of the conversation started in the initial post. Maserin has phenomenal quality on their knives that were made with quality in mind - this one was not. It was made as good as they could afford to make it for a profit, get it across the ocean, me make a little money, and sell it for $30. If F&F issues bother you on a $30 knife - stay away from this one. It's a $22 blade, $7 slabs, and a $1 for the F/F.

Start at $30 and walk yourself backwards to get an idea of how much time they could spend on the knife. 1) I am going to make a little money and cover my expenses. 2) They shipped them from Italy. 3) They need to make a little money. 4) They have labor and materials to buy. I can already tell you that if start to end production took them 30 minutes, they sold the knife to me for less that I would count my time worth.

My goal was not to ooh and ahh everyone. My goal was to make a sodbuster with a great steel, nice slabs, and usable as a beater - at a beater price. If there were D2 or similar sodbusters out there for less than $50 - I would not have even initiated the project. But there are not. I could contract a $70 sodbuster from the same company and it would compete with anybody making a premium sodbuster, but that was never the goal. Hope that makes sense.

Back