Too "Snooty" for an economy sodbuster?

knifeswapper knifeswapper When I looked into their Sod Buster there were specific F&F issues that no matter the cost I couldn't deal with. What I have seen in your video about them are nothing that would concern me and I am still considering buying one when i can. I am not trying to knock the knife or Maserin. I love the knife from what I see so far and I love the Maserin knives I have and have handled or used. The issues I saw from thier main production Sod Busters had included major gaps between the liner(s) and the cover(s) that would create hot spots and depending on the material result in the knife being prone to coming apart. I do understand the budget and that this won't have the F&F of a more expensive knife.

knifeswapper knifeswapper When I looked into their Sod Buster there were specific F&F issues that no matter the cost I couldn't deal with. What I have seen in your video about them are nothing that would concern me and I am still considering buying one when i can. I am not trying to knock the knife or Maserin. I love the knife from what I see so far and I love the Maserin knives I have and have handled or used. The issues I saw from thier main production Sod Busters had included major gaps between the liner(s) and the cover(s) that would create hot spots and depending on the material result in the knife being prone to coming apart. I do understand the budget and that this won't have the F&F of a more expensive knife.

Covers seem fine and I don't see a lot of gaps. But some have poorly stamped liners that have a tore look to them. I would expect the best of worst of their general product would probably show itself in these as they were made exactly the same. I'm a pessimist and don't want someone anticipating something they will likely not receive.

No such thing in their catalogue... http://www.maserin.com/en/product/42/temperino_175_175.html , neither in the shops.

The price point on this knife might not allow it; but in general find a friend or commercial re-shipper here and remove those obstacles.

Jolipapa Jolipapa did you search for "Maserin Sod Buster" I am in the US but I can find a vendor for the ones not specifically made for knifeswapper knifeswapper despite the fact that it is not a listed model on Maserin's website.

knifeswapper knifeswapper I am probably planning to get a Micarta one assuming you don't sell out before holidays are over. I tend to curb my personal spending about this time and resume it end of December early January.

The knife was commissioned for manufacture by Collector Knives. It is not part of the manufacturers catalog, to my knowledge.
The pattern used to be called "Marinera" and was long time part of the catalogue, with various wood or horn handles and 420 steel.

The pattern used to be called "Marinera" and was long time part of the catalogue, with various wood or horn handles and 420 steel.
What did you mean by "it is unabtainium in Europe" if it has been available in Europe for a long time. Certainly someone still has them in stock, if you make the effort to look.

What did you mean by "it is unabtainium in Europe" if it has been available in Europe for a long time. Certainly someone still has them in stock, if you make the effort to look.

What he is saying is that mine has handles and steel not generally available - they were exclusive to me. Thus, he has no access to them inside Europe.

What he is saying is that mine has handles and steel not generally available - they were exclusive to me. Thus, he has no access to them inside Europe.
That is what I thought he meant, which is why I originally replied that it is available from Collector Knives . He then replied that it was available for a long time in Europe by another name.

Long story short, it is available to anyone on the planet with a bit of effort. It's a fine knife, but there are plenty of working knives just as nice to be had in Europe, I'm sure.

knifeswapper knifeswapper -glad I kinda skipped to the end of this thread. I’ve bemoaned the rarity of the Queen #70 for quite some time-lo, and someone listened:D:thumbsup: Thanks for having these made. It may take a little time(relatively) but I see one in my future. As long as SWMBO doesn’t.:rolleyes:
Thanks, Neal

At Blade2017 I was talking to a factory about a sure 'nuff economy sodbuster pattern. Something like a barely sub-4" beater, but with a steel that would be useful - say D2. I couldn't really get them interested, because they said the market had become too "particular" for a $30 sodbuster. Their concern was that if they tooled up to make an economy knife, the market would assume their build quality had become lackluster across their line.

So that got me thinking. Have we gotten so critical on social media that the factories don't even want to make a "beater" anymore? I somewhat see their point, but hope this market segment is not lost to only the chinese just because the knives may not be worthy of a pocket dump photo....

Could the market still tolerate a true work knife at a value price point?
Mike, I got mine today, cleaned it up, and I want to thank you for having these made, because I love it. I wrote a review saying so. Mine came REAL rough, to the point where half inch long brass metal splinters were popping out as I opened and closed the blade. But I treated it as a kit, and what a start. A BEAUTIFULLY ground blade. Better geometry than my first GEC. It came with a very respectable factory edge. Sharper than Benchmade, not quite as sharp as spyderco or opinel.) No blade rap. Mine was actually better centered than two of my three GEC knives, which I know isn't true of all of these.

All it needed was a sharpening and sanding/filing to make it into a knife I'd have felt just fine paying $60-$70 for. The D2 got wizard spell sharp. The ergonomics are the best of any folding knife I own. I just adore this knife. Again, thank you for having these made. I sought out a thread about these knives just to say so publicly.
At Blade2017 I was talking to a factory about a sure 'nuff economy sodbuster pattern. Something like a barely sub-4" beater, but with a steel that would be useful - say D2. I couldn't really get them interested, because they said the market had become too "particular" for a $30 sodbuster. Their concern was that if they tooled up to make an economy knife, the market would assume their build quality had become lackluster across their line.

So that got me thinking. Have we gotten so critical on social media that the factories don't even want to make a "beater" anymore? I somewhat see their point, but hope this market segment is not lost to only the chinese just because the knives may not be worthy of a pocket dump photo....

Could the market still tolerate a true work knife at a value price point?

I have intentions to write a solid review on the Plow. I have a lot of good things to say about it for the price tag.

Quickly, I will say that between a CASE, GEC, and this Maserin sodbuster this Plow has the best:
handle ergonomics (no flats to scales, nice, chamferred and round in the hand)
blade steel (this D2 takes a very wicked edge)

That is a different question altogether. And I agree somewhat. My favorite carry right now is a Maserin Sport with D2 for $40 - but it is not a slipjoint. Made in Italy instead of U.S., but made by craftsmen that love knives.
I also want to thank you for having this made in an ethical country. I don't buy Chinese knives, period. Italy may not be the US, but they are a fair compeditor.

I have intentions to write a solid review on the Plow. I have a lot of good things to say about it for the price tag.

Quickly, I will say that between a CASE, GEC, and this Maserin sodbuster this Plow has the best:
handle ergonomics (no flats to scales, nice, chamferred and round in the hand)
blade steel (this D2 takes a very wicked edge)
Absolutely. I want people to know how uncannily good this knife feels in hand. These workers know how to sculpt a handle and grind a blade.

I say not at all!!

I have two pocket fulls of Opinels. I only have one sodbuster pattern ( a large AG Russell in black Micarta). An American made Sodbuster wirh good fit and finish, in D2 (provided there was a good slicing grind to accompany it) would be successful. Especially at that price point.

AY8Vp6V.jpg

M91FTmS.jpg

1RdJLcz.jpg

Back