Too "Snooty" for an economy sodbuster?

Although I like it, I am not quite as enamored with this knife as some others might be. I think its a fair value (as an add on to an order, shipping pushes it past the tipping point for me) but comparing the grinds to a GEC seems a bit over enthusiastic to me. Although it did come sharp, the edge grinds are uneven and I was surprised to find it as sharp as it was from the way it looked. I don't consider that a problem, as I put my own edge on it, just wanted to make note of it. It does take a good edge and is nice and thin BTE. A small amount of side to side play is found on mine. It also has decent looking wood that is nicely rounded and fairly comfortable. The biggest issue I have with the Plow is the odd '1/2 stop'. It's more like a 1/3-2/3 stop as the blade bobbles back and forth when in the 1/2 stop position. Overall I am happy with it, as a working knife, but one is enough for me.
I'd like to note that I appreciate CK trying new things, and their commitment to 'value' is second to none!:thumbsup:

Although I like it, I am not quite as enamored with this knife as some others might be. I think its a fair value (as an add on to an order, shipping pushes it past the tipping point for me) but comparing the grinds to a GEC seems a bit over enthusiastic to me. Although it did come sharp, the edge grinds are uneven and I was surprised to find it as sharp as it was from the way it looked. I don't consider that a problem, as I put my own edge on it, just wanted to make note of it. It does take a good edge and is nice and thin BTE. A small amount of side to side play is found on mine. It also has decent looking wood that is nicely rounded and fairly comfortable. The biggest issue I have with the Plow is the odd '1/2 stop'. It's more like a 1/3-2/3 stop as the blade bobbles back and forth when in the 1/2 stop position. Overall I am happy with it, as a working knife, but one is enough for me.
I'd like to note that I appreciate CK trying new things, and their commitment to 'value' is second to none!:thumbsup:
I expect there's a LOT of variation to be found between individual examples of these. On my particular knife, the blade came thinner behind the edge than two of my three GEC knives came, depite being thicker at the spine, and more evenly ground than my 72 came to me. I think my knife compensated for a particularly well executed blade by having literal needles of metal sticking out of the backspring.

I have plenty of gripes about the knife, if money were no issue. But my gripes are about polar opposite of yours. I think the factory edge on these are as consistent and well done as any knife I have handled under $100. It was never advertised to have a 1/2 stop and what I call a "Stop and Go" was simply to keep it from being a nail breaker when starting the opening; but I do wish they had picked full radius of full square. We agree on the play, I don't like play. But my main aggravation is the liner stamping / finishing and the backspring sitting sub on a good majority. I hate charging shipping and the original thought was it would essentially be an "add-on" when picking up something else - which would eliminate that overhead. It is still about what I expected for the price, but not what I had hoped.

My micarta example came today, and I am pleased. The backspring rides a little low when closed, flush when open. There are some small file or grind marks on the liners, but no gaps. The action was gravelly right out of the box, but smoothed right out with a drop of oil on the pivot. It could still be smoother; I will see what a WD40 flush will do. I can’t fault the blade at all. The grinds are even and it came about as sharp as any knife I have except for a couple of Scandinavians. The one disappointment was the slight wobble in the blade.

In size, it falls right between a Case sodbuster and its junior. Not sure what I was expecting, but it suits me fine.

It went right into my pocket. I had been considering it as a Christmas gift for my son, but if he does get one, it won’t be this one. The photo spurred me to an impulse buy, and it is just as appealing in hand.

I have plenty of gripes about the knife, if money were no issue. But my gripes are about polar opposite of yours. I think the factory edge on these are as consistent and well done as any knife I have handled under $100. It was never advertised to have a 1/2 stop and what I call a "Stop and Go" was simply to keep it from being a nail breaker when starting the opening; but I do wish they had picked full radius of full square. We agree on the play, I don't like play. But my main aggravation is the liner stamping / finishing and the backspring sitting sub on a good majority. I hate charging shipping and the original thought was it would essentially be an "add-on" when picking up something else - which would eliminate that overhead. It is still about what I expected for the price, but not what I had hoped.
Funny you say opposites, because the backspring being a hair low when closed doesn't bother me one little bit.
I want to be clear that I realize I am being overly picky when I complain about these other things, they really are small gripes. The only real issue for me is the way the blade opens, whatever you want to call it, I have never had another knife open that way. Oh, and I love nailbreakers, so that may be part of it:thumbsup:
Your last sentence sums up my thoughts, perfectly.
Again, I really appreciate the things CK is doing and hope you continue to give us such great values as the Plow and definitely the Roundhead:thumbsup::thumbsup:

How 'snooty" would one have to be not to like this orange covered Sod Buster Jr.? It's put together really well with no gaps etc. - just a slightly off center blade in the well. Came in yesterday's mail and was very sharp out of the box.

V1MRt83.jpg
I just got one as well. Fit in finish is great. Sure the blade rubs the liner on mine also. Mine actually goes to work and gets used. It's got Scratch's on the handle and dirt on it. Believe it or not the blade is starting to center it's self little by little. Im sure the pivot is just loosening up you know " breaking in"

I had a few Imperial sod buster jrs. The yellow ones. One of them got razor sharp. I cut a car tire off the rim with it, cut up fish and other open oysters with it, the other one couldn't cut melted butter. I had a couple kissing cranes the got sharp enough, I had them when I worked in the steel shop, my co-workers snatched them up pretty quick

Just so you guys know. If you don't already. This kissing cranes are better made at least in my experience vs the Imperials but the handles are blocky also the cranes have more to chose from

If you have any with a slightly high spring, save it for me, knifeswapper knifeswapper . I’ve read that over use(years) a high spring will eventually go flush, as the blade works against it. No idea of the truth, but empirical testing I like to do.:D;)
Thanks, Neal

Mine just arrived.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/foz6jkyy9/][/URL]

As others have posted it was a little gritty, I sprayed it with Remoil and it is better. The blade is very sharp and nice and thin behind the edge. The ergonomics, to me, are fantastic. Something was rubbing when closing the blade but it seems to have waned after a few openings/closings. The size is perfect.

I am going to carry it for awhile, see how it behaves, but first impressions are a home run.

Mine has been getting some pocket time, and some use. It takes up about as much room as a slimmed Opinel 8. That is a bit bigger than I ordinarily carry, but it feels good in hand and slices quite well.

The punters seem to like it.

7DB1647E-36AA-442B-94ED-B7FDD348C240.jpeg

A bit of a resurection but noticed today the Bocate has sold out and made me wonder do you knifeswapper knifeswapper have plans to run these again I would think maybe after your total stock gets low enough? Now I just need to debate Santos vs Micarta for myself now that Bocate is gone. I kept putting this knife off as I planned to add it on with another knife to hit the free shipping mark but now I might just have to pull the trigger.

Just look at this bocote beauty!

8gCjoDR.jpg

And sharp as sharp gets!

vY9v7iD.jpg

(That's one strand of hair, quartered.)

what is with the choil/name stamp/gap

it really destroys the aesthetics for me - shame really since i quite likes the micarta version too

A bit of a resurection but noticed today the Bocate has sold out and made me wonder do you knifeswapper knifeswapper have plans to run these again I would think maybe after your total stock gets low enough? Now I just need to debate Santos vs Micarta for myself now that Bocate is gone. I kept putting this knife off as I planned to add it on with another knife to hit the free shipping mark but now I might just have to pull the trigger.

Undecided. Talked to the factory about increasing the finish just a bit, but then have to speculate how they will be received several dollars higher. Simply don't make enough margin to make it worth worrying about much.

Back