Tool marks

Contacted cs today and their reply was we do not fully finish the spine, return and we will happily refund the purchase, thank you for trying our knife. Hard to beat that. I'm impressed with the knife and the cs just not the finish at this price point so back it goes.
I'm open to suggestion on replacing with something similiar.

There are numerous customs around $300 that would likely fit your needs and have a proper finish.

Looks like they're still some available on CPK's website. So, attaining one shouldn't be problematic.

Doesn't look like any are available on the website. But he can 'watch' the CPK Buy Sell & Trade thread that is the top sticky of their subforum, and 'watch' the For Sale: Fixed Blades from Individuals. DEK1's come up for sale once in a while.

Doesn't look like any are available on the website. But he can 'watch' the CPK Buy Sell & Trade thread that is the top sticky of their subforum, and 'watch' the For Sale: Fixed Blades from Individuals. DEK1's come up for sale once in a while.
Where are you looking?

lHq8aQX.png

As of the time of this post, they are still available in Natural Canvas or Black Linen with AEB-L.

Only the AEBL version is available. I'm not planning to use it as an axe, hammer, or shovel so I assume AEBL will be fine?
Another encouragement for Dek1. It is personally my favourite ever. Aebl is plenty strong for anything short of what you mentioned.
If you want to wail and beat it half to death, i suggest waiting to find one in D3V. Otherwise Aebl is good to go, should be a little easier to sharpen and a bit more corrosion resistant

Only the AEBL version is available. I'm not planning to use it as an axe, hammer, or shovel so I assume AEBL will be fine?

AEB-L is considered a stainless 52100, should be more than durable enough even if you did use it as such.

While, I have no intentions of using the DEK1 as a "field knife," I have done some batoning with mine (also AEB-L) through some knotted wood just for the heck of it, no issues.

If interested, there was a discussion on "hardish" use of the DEK1 here.

And DEK1 is in the mail.

Awesome! Interested to hear your thoughts when you get it! I'm guessing you got the black linen micarta one?

Awesome! Interested to hear your thoughts when you get it! I'm guessing you got the black linen micarta one?
That is correct. Apparently it was the last one, only natural canvas available now.

Last edited:
There are numerous customs around $300 that would likely fit your needs and have a proper finish.

The 3.5 is ~$170-200. Many would not consider this an "improper finish". Given the maker's intended use and price what would you consider a "proper" finish? Wouldn't some want a rougher spine for a ferro rod?

The 3.5 is ~$170-200. Many would not consider this an "improper finish". Given the maker's intended use and price what would you consider a "proper" finish? Wouldn't some want a rougher spine for a ferro rod?

There are many factory and custom knives in the $170 - $200 range that would come with a finished spine. An unfinished spine at virtually any price point is the exception rather than the norm.

For a knife to work best as a striker for a ferro rod, the spine needs to be finished; specifically perfectly square. A square spine will throw more sparks than a rough or unfinished one. It's also useful as a scraper when making tinder.

There is no legitimate reason as to why a $200 knife wouldn't have a finished spine. It would be different if this was a $10 Mora.

There are many factory and custom knives in the $170 - $200 range that would come with a finished spine. An unfinished spine at virtually any price point is the exception rather than the norm.

For a knife to work best as a striker for a ferro rod, the spine needs to be finished; specifically perfectly square. A square spine will throw more sparks than a rough or unfinished one. It's also useful as a scraper when making tinder.

There is no legitimate reason as to why a $200 knife wouldn't have a finished spine. It would be different if this was a $10 Mora.

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen spines with tool marks on custom knives, especially the style "forge finish". Personally, a quality attribute I look for is a finished spine with the edges taken off or the spine rounded, but I don't "bushcraft" or have a need for a ferro rod.

~$200 so not super expensive but nothing to sneeze at either. It will be a user, again it will not effect function it is strictly cosmetic. Being 3V not sure how far I would get with sandpaper.

I sort of like the grind marks on knives. Kinda like a fingerprint!

Just grab a 120 grit flap disc on an angle grinder and blitz that in 5 seconds if it's bothering you, easy fix man. I think it looks okay I like a little tooling marks on my knives makes me want to use them more.

Meh. I’d just use the sucker.

Something tells me none of you fellers have ever stripped a Busse Combat knife (which cost a sh!tload more than this thing).

That’s one reason I’ve lost so much love for Busse. You pay SO much money for something that might look like S@@T underneath.

I’m surprised Jerry isn’t embarrassed by that workmanship or lack thereof.

Back