Tool to clear trails

I finally saved a bit if cash so I should be ready for the MC or HC pre orders. I’m still wondering which one of the teo I should get. My main use for such a large blade would be to clear trails from fallen trees.
MC or HC ?

the bigger the timber, the heavier the knife

Not sure that you needed an entirely new thread for this Q but here's my take nonetheless:

If timing is of the essence to you, then seeking after the MC would properly be your best bet, even though an MC preorder is probably a while off and then you will have to add the time which it would take for fulfillment (3-6 months from when the preorder list closes, depending o the size of the list plus your place on that list!). You will also have a better chance to seek one on the secondary albeit at higher prices, since 50 or so proto MCs exist in the wild as opposed to only 6 proto HCs. The latter has sold in the 2 - 2.5 times its original price through backchannels!

Also, if you follow Lorien's posts who uses a bunch of CPK protos in his own trail clearing / trail building projects, you will note that he even quite admirably uses the lighter LC without any issues (I think that Lorien also owns a proto HC but I'm not quite sure about that). In summary if you're going to decide on a production HC, you will be probably be waiting longer than pursuing an MC. Just my two cents.

The HC is for knuckleheads who bend shit (like me). The MC will cut better.

IMG_6738.jpg

The MC was made to clear trails. The HC would be useful if there are also a lot of power poles and sign posts to cut down...

Last edited:

View attachment 939535

The MC was made to clear trails. The HC would be useful if there are also a lot of power poles and sign posts to cut down...

I have to say that I like cutting stuff up... strangely therapeutic to thrash around in the woods with a big knife

Probably even cheaper than psychotherapy

:D

The MC makes for a quick-in-hand knife for clearing brush. I've used mine at work to clear out mimosa and scrub brush around our monitoring wells. Very handy tool, swings fast, bites deep and stays mighty sharp after multiple wells now.

Most of the stuff I need to cutare branches and saplings up to 3 inches in diameter.
Unfortunately after storms larger trees need to be removed.
In most cases only one cut is necessary and a blade will be faster than a saw.
My busse FBM works pretty good, but I like to add variety to the collection

If you're clearing trails, and not using saws and axes, you would chop a lot more wood with a lot less effort if you used an 18", 30-35 oz Ang Khola khukuri, using a "snap cut" and letting the weight of the blade do all the work. And if your arms are beefy enough, a 20" Ang Khola khukuri weighing 35-45 oz works even better.

Personally, I think the HC should be an 11 inch blade with .245 thickness:thumbsup:
I mean we have the LC and MC both with 10 inch Blades, and the BC with a 12 inch Blade
Don't think we need another 10 inch Chopper, Oh well
th

View attachment 939535

Well then I guess the HC is for me lol :) knucklehead who bends shit that’s me lol. My old golf clubs are more like boomerangs now lol

Back