Tooling Project Progression

Thought I'd share this weekend's project with some progressive photos. I've posted several other things tooled with my knife maker friend's logo on it and recently we worked out another trade deal on a second display mat for him. Anyway, started Friday night and finished yesterday. Today it's in the mail headed to Florida. Hope everyone has a great week!

This was taken after tracing and all cuts made with the swivel knife. I re-wet it and stuck it in a plastic bag to case overnight.

34421854884_874ddef161_z.jpg

Most of the tooling done the next day...

35225417206_79dacf9e1e_z.jpg

Fully dried, removed from the acrylic backing, margins trimmed, backed, border dyed, and antiquing applied after several coats of Bee Natural RTC

35225416366_5a5ec9945c_z.jpg

and all finished up with a nice carnuba wax spray sealer as a top coat...

35225415796_5e6625c7ce_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

really nice work! painting/illustrating has always been a hobby of mine so i can really appreciate this type of work. always wanted to give leather tooling a shot myself... maybe one day.

Thanks for sharing! It's real neat to see the progression of the work from start to finish.

really nice work! painting/illustrating has always been a hobby of mine so i can really appreciate this type of work. always wanted to give leather tooling a shot myself... maybe one day.

Thank you! Appreciate the kind words! Yeah if you're good at painting / drawing, I'm betting you'd take to tooling a lot easier than someone who isn't. It'd just be a matter of developing leather specific techniques and then the sky is the limit as to what you can do with it. Really wish I had more time for this sort of thing. I love carving / tooling.

Thanks for sharing! It's real neat to see the progression of the work from start to finish.

Thanks! Next time I'm going to take a few more photos between steps.

Excellent work. I hope what you got from him is just as nice as what you gave him.

Thank you! I appreciate it! Yes indeed, we're trading leather work for his custom knife work and he is very, very good. I have a few of his knives already and am really looking forward to another.

Back