Top 10 blades everyone should own

Are you sure that's rust and not dried blood? ;)

When I was a lad all the kids had at least one big rusty meat cleaver that was found in the woods. It was de rigueur at the time. We didn't think too hard about why rusty meat cleavers would be in the woods, or whether or not blood was involved.

They say it's much easier to give a 20 minute speech than a two minute speech; likewise it would be easier to list 20 rather than merely ten. Additionally, SAKs and multi-tools shouldn't count because they just "are" and ought not reduce the 10 knives. That said, it's not my thread so I'll abide by the theme.

In no particular order:

1. Buck 110
2. Spyderco Pacific Salt
3. Cold Steel Recon 1
4. Sebenza
5. Cold Steel AD-10
6. Becker BK-16
7. Becker BK-9
8. Becker BK-2
9. Becker BK-14 or 11
10. Kephart/Becker BK-62

OK, so I changed my mind

11. SAK of your choosing with implements of your choice.
12. Multi-tool of a design and style that suits your fancy (I prefer Leatherman) with implements that suit your needs.

These are the knives I would keep if limited to only ten, or twelve - depending on how you could SAKs and multi-tools.

Leatherman\SAK
Buck 110\112
Esee izula
CRK sebenza\inkosi
RHK XM-18
Spyderco-pick one
Benchmade 940

I might be the only list without 10....I'm content

1. Smatchet
2. Swiss Army Knife
3. Opinel
4. Spyderco of some kind
5. Titanium sword
6. Basic machete
7. Rambo knife
8. Big rusty meat cleaver found in the woods
9. Traditional slipjoint
10. Fishin' knife

I need to change my answers. I like this list better.

D DangerZone98
I'll agree with the Buck 110.
We'll have to compromise on the Mora, and agree to disagree on the rest though.
(I like the classic/venerable Mora Number 1 best.)
I've always found multi blade folders much more practical and versatile.
No single blade type is "ideal" for every task.
I wouldn't want to have to peel a critter or clean a fish with a sheepsfoot or (true) wharncliffe, for example. :)

I think every lad (and lass) should have the 110, a 89 or 92/93mm 2 or three layer SAK of some sort, (Recruit and Huntsman or Field Master is my pick. The Recruit's punch/awl is ever so much more useful (to me) than the Cadet's fingernail file, and the Huntsman and Field Master have a dandy wood saw and scissors.*** The Field Master has a phillups screwdriver in place of the corkscrew on the back.) and/or a classic 4 blade scout/camp knife, a stockman (small, medium, or large, depending on taste) ... oh, and the SAK SD Classic or Signature of their larger SAK lacks the scissors.
A 2 blade Barlow or Canoe are also great if you want to be discrete.

***If you go to cut a wild thread or loose hair from your date's or better half's clothes or hair with a knife blade, you'll more than likely be looked at by more than one, somewhat askance. (possibly including your date or better half) If you use scissors, no one gives you a second or greater glance.

For the "modern" knives, I admit I don't have much personal exposure.
I had an Ontario RAT 1 that was pretty good ... until the daRn clip failed somehow and it came out of my pocket while riding my adult trike the 9 miles from Walmart to home ... It didn't turn it up when I back tracked. :(
Anyway, for a "modern" knife, that is the one I would suggest.

For the fixed blade ... I've never needed more than a 5 inch blade. I've always found longer blade a pain to use, when gutting and peeling a critter, to be honest. Truth to tell, on a squirrel or rabbit, 3.5 to 4 inch is plenty. I can't imagine trying to gut and peel one of them with a 6 inch or longer blade.
Note I don't use a knife to process my firewood, limb or fell a tree, nor do I beat them through logs, 2x4's, conrete bocks, or bricks.
(In the 65 and counting years I've been here, I've never had cause to stab some poor innocent vehicle, either ... or thought to stick 2 knives inna wall or doorway to do pullups, for that matter....)

My must have's:
Buck 110
Stockman
89 or 92/93mm 2 or 3 layer SAK (3 layer with scissors) or classic Scout/camp/Demo knife
MAYBE a SAK Sd Classic or Signatire to go on the key ring and a (2 blade) Barlow or Canoe for go to meetin' days
Lastly, a Stanley or other brand retracabke blade utility knife, such as the 10-499 for things that dull any blade regardless of steel right quick: cardboard, fiberglass, scoring drywall, cutting carpet or linoleum, and so on. Why use up one of the good knives doing those tasks? You can get 200 replacement blades for a utility knife for under $20.
A lot less than a new good knife.

Last edited:
We’ve already had lots of “if you could only keep 10” threads. We’ve also had threads asking for the top 10 iconic knives every knife knut should own.

I’m guessing this topic is somewhere in that vicinity. This would be my list of blades everyone should own, and most of us probably do already.

1. Spyderco Endura or Delica
2. Buck 110
3. A quality slipjoint (GEC, Queen, etc)
4. A quality auto (Microtech, Protech, etc)
5. SAK
6. EDC sized fixed blade (mine is Busse AMS)
7. Big chopper (mine is Busse Basic 9)
8. Any Benchmade (I carry a Presidio)
9. Any Kershaw or ZT
10. A good kitchen knife

1. Buck 110. It is a classic, an icon. Even if you don't like them, you have to respect it's history.
2. Spyderco Tenacious. This was my true gateway knife. I believe it's a classic in it's own right.
3. Benchmade Griptilian. Modern classic. I like them with G10.
4. Cold Steel 4max Scout. It's huge and ridiculous. It still cuts like a demon. You can get one for $83. No brainer.
5. ZT 0562. Hinderer design, amazing ergos, as close as you can get to an XM-18 without it being an XM-18.
6. Spyderco Shaman. Personal favorite. It could be my One Knife. It almost hurts when I DON'T carry it!
7. Kabar Dog's Head. Classic blade, improved (IMO) guard and pommel.
8. Becker BK16, or any Becker really. They're all pretty amazing. The 16 is a great everyday size though, and will do anything you ask with no complaints.
9. Hogue Ritter. You support Knife Rights. It's also an excellent knife!
10. Hinderer XM-18. I prefer the slicer grind. IMO it really is worth the price over the 0562, but I can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea!

Honorable Mention : Benchmade Crooked River. IMO a modernized Buck 110. If it's too big, get a Mini.

I know, no slip joints. No kitchen knives. This would be my 10 recommended for someone needing some direction in the knife world.

Reactions: DMG
1. Buck 110. It is a classic, an icon. Even if you don't like them, you have to respect it's history.
2. Spyderco Tenacious. This was my true gateway knife. I believe it's a classic in it's own right.
3. Benchmade Griptilian. Modern classic. I like them with G10.
4. Cold Steel 4max Scout. It's huge and ridiculous. It still cuts like a demon. You can get one for $83. No brainer.
5. ZT 0562. Hinderer design, amazing ergos, as close as you can get to an XM-18 without it being an XM-18.
6. Spyderco Shaman. Personal favorite. It could be my One Knife. It almost hurts when I DON'T carry it!
7. Kabar Dog's Head. Classic blade, improved (IMO) guard and pommel.
8. Becker BK16, or any Becker really. They're all pretty amazing. The 16 is a great everyday size though, and will do anything you ask with no complaints.
9. Hogue Ritter. You support Knife Rights. It's also an excellent knife!
10. Hinderer XM-18. I prefer the slicer grind. IMO it really is worth the price over the 0562, but I can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea!

Honorable Mention : Benchmade Crooked River. IMO a modernized Buck 110. If it's too big, get a Mini.

I know, no slip joints. No kitchen knives. This would be my 10 recommended for someone needing some direction in the knife world.

I do not agree with most of your list. No offense, OP.

I feel like there are only like maybe a couple of knives a person needs.

The fact that something as objectively not feasible as a Buck 110 still getting recommended worries me.

I do not agree with most of your list. No offense, OP.

I feel like there are only like maybe a couple of knives a person needs.

The fact that something as objectively not feasible as a Buck 110 still getting recommended worries me.

You can’t understand why the Buck 110 would be in a top 10 list of knives everybody should own? It’s an American icon. Many would consider the 110 the first “tactical folder”. It’s the one that started it all. That’s a pretty big deal.

In what way is it “objectively not feasible”, exactly?

Warning for insulting other posters
You can’t understand why the Buck 110 would be in a top 10 list of knives everybody should own? It’s an American icon. Many would consider the 110 the first “tactical folder”. It’s the one that started it all. That’s a pretty big deal.

In what way is it “objectively not feasible”, exactly?
It's not a good folding knife. In any objective way. It sucks. You have to two hand open and close it, you have to belt carry it, which is dumb, nobody does that for folders anymore, the blade steel is awful, it weighs half a pound, it's pinned and cannot be dissembled or cleaned.

Anyone telling you to buy a Buck 110 is either 80 or an asshole.

It's not a good folding knife. In any objective way. It sucks. You have to two hand open and close it, you have to belt carry it, which is dumb, nobody does that for folders anymore, the blade steel is awful, it weighs half a pound, it's pinned and cannot be dissembled or cleaned.

Whew!

Well, I’m not one of those but possibly am the other.

I get a lot of good use out of my 110. It’s actually a lot easier to clean than many of my other folders. The blade geometry is also very good, with a nice thin edge. It sharpens easy, and resists corrosion very well. The sheath is a sweet bonus, plus one of the best warranties in the business.

In my personal opinion it’s a great knife and absolutely still relevant today.

And lads too! Am I right?

But seriously, asking a question that excludes half the population is cave man behavior. We always want to dispel the myth to the "sheeple" that knives are weapons, but rather are tools. Along those lines, let's dispel the myth that knives are only for men. One way we can do that is with our language. I always cringe when I see threads that ask questions like this and I'll generally say something.

Ans on topic, a list of 10 knives everyone should own seems like we are going to get a list of everyone's favorite knives. Seems really broad. Axes and multitools too? Yikes!

I'd say everyone should try and Endura, Endula, or Delica. Pick your size and see what a no frills Spyderco cutting machine can do! Don't forget the Salt variants!

qTJ8vf6h.jpg
Hello. I understand your point and I see my error. My apologies. Just a force of habit in my writing when I say “gents, lads, and guys.” Of course, everyone is free to participate in the discussion. It was not my intention to exclude half the population, and I would appreciate it if we didn’t start throwing “cavemen behavior” around. But I hope there’s no harm done. I’ll keep in mind what you said in future posts.

Are we cool? I know tone of voice is largely absent in text but I’m not mad nor am I looking for a fight.

On another note, heck yeah the Delica and Endura lines are awesome. I like the excellent blade length the Endura offers in a slim compact package.

Whew!

Well, I’m not one of those but possibly am the other.

I get a lot of good use out of my 110. It’s actually a lot easier to clean than many of my other folders. The blade geometry is also very good, with a nice thin edge. It sharpens easy, and resists corrosion very well. The sheath is a sweet bonus, plus one of the best warranties in the business.

In my personal opinion it’s a great knife and absolutely still relevant today.
I’m curious about getting one, but no luck yet in my local shops unfortunately. And int’l shipping sucks. :D

You can one hand open them. They do have models with pocket clips. The blade steel is perfectly fine if you're not a snob, not to mention they have models with higher grade steels as well. Weight is also variable, as not all 110s are brass or nickle framed. Cleaning can be done without disassembly of any knife.

In my honest opinion, you have no idea what you are talking about.

D DangerZone98
I'll agree with the Buck 110.
We'll have to compromise on the Mora, and agree to disagree on the rest though.
(I like the classic/venerable Mora Number 1 best.)
I've always found multi blade folders much more practical and versatile.
No single blade type is "ideal" for every task.
I wouldn't want to have to peel a critter or clean a fish with a sheepsfoot or (true) wharncliffe, for example. :)

I think every lad (and lass) should have the 110, a 89 or 92/93mm 2 or three layer SAK of some sort, (Recruit and Huntsman or Field Master is my pick. The Recruit's punch/awl is ever so much more useful (to me) than the Cadet's fingernail file, and tbe Huntsman and Field Master have a dandy wood saw and scissors.*** The Field Master has a phillups screwdriver in place of the corkscrew on the back.) and/or a classic 4 blade scout/camp knife, a stockman (small, medium, or large, depending on taste) ... oh, and the SAK SD Classic or Signature of their larger SAK lacks the scissors.
A 2 blade Barlow or Canoe are also great if you want to be discrete.

***If you go to cut a wild thread or loose hair from your date's or better half's clothes or hair with a knife blade, you'll more than likely be looked at by more than one, somewhat askance. (possibly including your date or better half) If you use scissors, no one gives you a second or greater glance.

For the "modern" knives, I admit I don't have much personal exposure.
I had an Ontario RAT 1 that was pretty good ... until the daRn clip failed somehow and it came out of my pocket while riding my adult trike the 9 miles from Walmart to home ... It didn't turn it up when I back tracked. :(
Anyway, for a "modern" knife, that is the one I would suggest.

For the fixed blade ... I've never needed more than a 5 inch blade. I've always found longer blade a pain to use, when gutting and peeling a critter, to be honest. Truth to tell, on a squirrel or rabbit, 3.5 to 4 inch is plenty. I can't imagine trying to gut and peel one of them with a 6 inch or longer blade.
Note I don't use a knife to process my firewood, limb or fell a tree, nor do I beat them through logs, 2x4's, conrete bocks, or bricks.
(In the 65 and counting years I've been here, I've never had cause to stab some poor innocent vehicle, either ... or thought to stick 2 knives inna wall or doorway to do pullups, for that matter....)

My must have's:
Buck 110
Stockman
89 or 92/93mm 2 or 3 layer SAK (3 layer with scissors) or classic Scout/camp/Demo knife
MAYBE a SAK Sd Classic or Signatire to go on the key ring and a (2 blade) Barlow or Canoe for go to meetin' days
Lastly, a Stanley or other brand retracabke blade utility knife, such as the 10-499 for things that dull any blade regardless of steel right quick: cardboard, fiberglass, scoring drywall, cutting carpet or linoleum, and so on. Why use up one of the good knives doing those tasks? You can get 200 replacement blades for a utility knife for under $20.
A lot less than a new good knife.
Sucks to lose a knife, man. I procrastinated getting a Rat 1 since the Spyderco Resilience pretty much works for my beater knife uses.

Funny comment about the scissors. Yup, they would be more discreet in certain situations.

Hmm, big blades. I don’t use them as often as the smaller critters, but they’re fun to have.

Hello. I understand your point and I see my error. My apologies. Just a force of habit in my writing when I say “gents, lads, and guys.” Of course, everyone is free to participate in the discussion. It was not my intention to exclude half the population, and I would appreciate it if we didn’t start throwing “cavemen behavior” around. But I hope there’s no harm done. I’ll keep in mind what you said in future posts.

Are we cool? I know tone of voice is largely absent in text but I’m not mad nor am I looking for a fight.

On another note, heck yeah the Delica and Endura lines are awesome. I like the excellent blade length the Endura offers in a slim compact package.
Of course we're cool. Thank you for this response, understanding the point, and taking it in stride! Good show lad! Only good things can be gained if we don't exclude the opposite sex in our language when we discuss this fine hobby!

On the topic of the Endura package, it is a fantastic amount of blade length in a tight package. Check the new Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N. Same package but super lite at a 2.6 oz vs the regular Endura at 3.6 oz. A few tweaks to the blade and handle to make it a salt.

Jncs9Uqh.jpg

Back