Top 10 blades everyone should own

One warning for insults.
Opinions are like...belly buttons. Everyone has one, and none of them are golden.
Do not insult people who disagree with your opinion.

It actually is objective that the standard 110 lacks most of the features that people currently weigh as valuable in a modern folding knife. That's why it's so ridiculous that people keep recommending it as if it isn't a clunky boat anchor with an edge. One of my favorite parts about expressing how overrated that knife is is watching you all squirm and try to dog pile me. I know what objective vs subjective is. Objective: the knife weighs half a pound, has below even budget Chinese blade steel, has no pocket clip, cannot be easily manipulated with one hand. Subjective: it's a an outdated and irrelevant folding knife.
That's a ridiculous claim that you can in no way back up. Like I said, look up the difference between objective and subjective, because you don't have it figured out yet.

It actually is objective that the standard 110 lacks most of the features that people currently weigh as valuable in a modern folding knife. That's why it's so ridiculous that people keep recommending it as if it isn't a clunky boat anchor with an edge. One of my favorite parts about expressing how overrated that knife is is watching you all squirm and try to dog pile me. I know what objective vs subjective is. Objective: the knife weighs half a pound, has below even budget Chinese blade steel, has no pocket clip, cannot be easily manipulated with one hand. Subjective: it's a an outdated and irrelevant folding knife.

It is too bad that you don't like it. I like it and that is not going to change. The knife was designed as a folding hunter, a role that has kept it wildly popular. Its by far the most copied knife ever made. BTW, the 110 is one handed opener; just grab the blade and flip the handle out. Go try that out.

n2s

Last edited:
1 ontario sp 10 bowie big chopper I love bowies
2 kabar 1213 proberly one of my most used fixed blades not to big or small light and cuts well
3 kabar 1258 5inch version or the 1213 take it camping a lot gets used a lot nice size
4 cold steel ti lite 4 sv35n aluminium grips well made one of my favorite knives ever made just my opinion
5 multi tool like a Leatherman wave or a Swiss army knife
6 a spirit run or custom fixed blade or folder that's all personal opinion
7 a Sheffield bowie or dagger old or there still getting made to order come in all sizes
8 an old antique knife again a lot of that is personal preference but always a good conversation piece
9 a beater folder or fixed for doing jobs your not going to wreck the rest of you others over
10 a nice mechette well made not cheap

a lot of this is all down to what people like and knife people use when you get used to one style or blade shape you normal get good with it you know the weaknesses and the strengths and you get good at using them for most taskes just my opinion but I think most of this is down to the person useing them so enjoy what ever you like and someone elce will.proberly like somthing diffrent

Actually, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have owned every highly recommended knife under the sun including the 110 in multiple variations. The knife sucks. You literally wrote a paragraph on how to fix the dumb thing and that was your argument. Sorry, the stock 110 that ships in garbage 420HC is a lame, outdated knife and everyone knows it. Just a bunch of people in denial soaking in nostalgia.

i may have missed it, what are your 10 knives every lad or lass should own?

I’m not 80, but I’m definitely an asshole.

fkkZL7b.jpg
Got a good chuckle out of that one.

For what it’s worth:
1. An modest EDC folding knife. Mine is a simple stockman, but that doesn’t matter so long as you are comfortable carrying the same knife everyday and everywhere you happen to go. It gets to the point that using it is a purely mechanical process and you are barely aware that you have it on you - unless you misplace it and realize that you can barely walk straight without it.

2. A full size multi-tool. Something that rides around in your glove box or luggage to get you out of thousands of little annoying problems that arise while you are away from your tool box.

3. A fixed bladed hunting knife. Something about the size of a steak knife that can be equally at home in the kitchen or field.

4. A folding hunting knife. Like a Buck 110 or any other kind of modern tactical folder. Mostly used for all forms of utility tasks around camp, home and office. Ease and speed of deployment is secondary to a sound and comfortable design.

5. A automatic folder, speed assist, flipper, balisong folding knife. If it’s a practical design you can use it in place of item 4. I have included it mostly as a stress relieving fidget device for knife enthusiast. Frankly, they are lots of fun.

6. A Swiss Army knife; the bigger the better. A Swiss Champ works great here. The knife should be carried in the backpack as an emergency problem solver. It is also a great form of entertainment, as people tend to get sucked into testing and playing with the numerous gadgets. It is far better to have someone sit there playing with one of these, while you get yourselves oriented, then to have them panic and run off into the woods where they can hurt themselves.

7. A camp/bushcrafting knife: a sturdy medium fixed blade that can be used for carving and detailed wood processing. Such as making tools, snares, traps, tent stakes.

8. A fighting knife, whether a Bowie/tanto or similar. Something large, light, fast, pointy and sharp with a solid hand guard. Not the most practical thing; but, as a knife nut, it is the one you would reach for when something goes bump in the night.

9. A full on chopper, Becker BK9, RTAC, Junglas, khukuri, bolo, or larger. The kind of knife that can be used for just about everything around camp. This can easily take the place of a hatchet, while retaining the ability to clear trails and brush.

10. A true classic machete. Something with a relatively light 14-18” blade that can make an easy task of clearing green growth. Sure, you can probably do it with the camp knife, but if you are going to do it for any length of time your arms and back will appreciate the machete.

n2s
Nice well rounded list there.

I agree about the fighting knife. I’m no combat expert by any means, but they’re just fun to own. And what’s cooler than opening a box with a tactical blade?

Here in the Netherlands, the Buck 110 is a bit of the golden standard for hunters. A lot of them carry the knife in a leather pouch on their shotshell belt. I was very excited when I got mine from my father at the age of 10.

Objective: We're all knifenuts here.
Subjective: We're all knifenuts here. :D

Honestly, I never got the appeal of the 110. I personally do like the pattern, itself. Though, I agree the construction and materials could be brought up to modern standards and still keep the traditional construction look (no pins showing).

Looks like the 2021 Legacy Collection 110 does the modernization of construction pretty well (pocket clip.... eh... not so much, why not just a simple clip!?!?!?!?!?!). They certainly could have done a blind screw construction for the handle inlays if they did not want to break up inlay surface. Aluminum? Why not Ti?

The Slim and LT versions of the 110 should definitely have been screw construction and not pinned. Very strange decision for Buck to keep a legacy style construction when everything else on these versions are pretty much modern (even deep-carry clip that isn't really all that bad despite the logo cutout). Would have bought a Slim if I could've had the option to take the knife apart.

Last thing that I'll say about the 110 that's kept me from getting one: it should be changed to a mid backlock to make operation easier and more intuitive.

This is pretty much what I was about to write:

A specific example to #3 is the Spyderco Dragonfly. Before I got that knife I was certain anything under 3"-3.5" would never work for me as a regular day-to-day knife. It made me realize you can still have good ergonomics and deal with the majority of cutting tasks with something so compact. In the end, everybody should try a few things outside their predispositions to get a true idea of what works for them.

I was going to mention the DFII; however, mine never really jived with me (I do carry it occasionally only because of how ethereal it is in the pocket). I personally don't think the ergos of the DF series are that great. The curved handles create an empty space for the fingers and, most times, it really isn't all that comfy to hold as my fingers get scrunched into the curvature of the bottom of the handle. Honestly, I think if Spyderco mixed the more bulbous Lava handle with the DFII blade profile, that would have been just about right.

That and I think the 2.3" blade is just a bit too short. So far I've noticed that the 2.75" blade length hits that sweet spot for a sub 3" folding knife. Dragonfly III anyone?

The Chaparral would be my recommendation for a sub 3" mid backlock folder from Spyderco. The Chaparral is a fantastic, absolutely fantastic, small folder. Shame the Ti versions were discontinued. Spyderco needs to make a Chaparral with canvas micarta.

Having an open mind is generally best policy with knives (just have to do due diligence to research features). :cool:

The 110 has all the features a folding knife needs. It cuts, and it folds.

(Diogenes holding up a folded sheet of paper)

Diogenes: Behold! I have brought you a knife! :p

It's not a good folding knife. In any objective way. It sucks. You have to two hand open and close it, you have to belt carry it, which is dumb, nobody does that for folders anymore, the blade steel is awful, it weighs half a pound, it's pinned and cannot be dissembled or cleaned.

When I read this I couldn’t help but think about a 1911. The design is archaic. Magazine capacity is minuscule (in 45ACP). Mine literally weighs the same as two Glock 19’s. It’s a pain in the ass to disassemble and clean. A lot of them need more tweaking than the average shooter knows how to do. And even a cheap one is more expensive than a quality, modern pistol. But honestly, there is no pistol I enjoy shooting more.

Some things are iconic and are more than the sum of their parts. They worked for what they were designed to do a long time ago and we have better designs and materials now. It may not be to one’s liking because modern this, or ergos that. But that hardly means it’s worth getting worked up about.

All that said, I carry a Glock and don’t own a Buck 110.

When I read this I couldn’t help but think about a 1911. The design is archaic. Magazine capacity is minuscule (in 45ACP). Mine literally weighs the same as two Glock 19’s. It’s a pain in the ass to disassemble and clean. A lot of them need more tweaking than the average shooter knows how to do. And even a cheap one is more expensive than a quality, modern pistol. But honestly, there is no pistol I enjoy shooting more.

Some things are iconic and are more than the sum of their parts. They worked for what they were designed to do a long time ago and we have better designs and materials now. It may not be to one’s liking because modern this, or ergos that. But that hardly means it’s worth getting worked up about.

All that said, I carry a Glock and don’t own a Buck 110.

agree with your analogy. I own both the 1911 and the Glock 19. Both serve their purposes well.

Which do I ENJOY more.....the 1911 in 45ACP of course.

Basil Plumley - possibly the most decorated NCO in Military history - carried his Colt 45 during the Vietnam War, refusing to use the then "untested" M16 rifle in favor of the sidearm that got him through WWII and Korean Wars. He used it during the famous Battle of la Drange

Sometimes, there is no need to replace something that works. I'll bet you see more working people in middle America using Buck 110's and Case Trappers than any other pocket knife.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hard to fit. If I count the 3 CUDA's as one knife, I still go over. Benchmade AFCK in M-390 & Farid Custom in Rex-121. Lg & Med Fantoni/Harsey in S-125-V. Spectrum Energetics Utilizer with Lenox Gold blade & WE Eschaton in M-390. William Henry B-15 with San Mai Damacus ZDP-189 blade & 7" MADD MAXX in S-90-V. Spydie/SAK MiniChamp.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Moving right along: Buck Aluminum take apart Club Knife in S-110-V. David Boye folders in Dendritic Cobalt (Stellite 6-B). Custom Ti SAK Waiter with added saw & CUDA MAXX with custom 5 1/2" Stellite 6-K blade. LionSteel TiDust with 3-D printed handle & Sleipner blade, custom Ti MADD MAXX with 9" S-90-V blade.
All of this stuff is in the order it was extracted from my photo library.

Since the OP wants a list, and not my opinion of the 110 or Buck for that matter....

Victorinox- Huntsman or pioneer preferred
Spyderco- I prefer the UKPK, pick one
Condor Kukri machete- works great great price
Condor fixed blade-mini bush lore for me, pick one
Lambsfoot knife-more versatile than you would think
Barlow-classic folder
Case swayback
Opinel, #6,7, or 8
Friction folder, higonokami, douk douk, etc. Simplicity
Estwing hatchet-no need to baton your knife

your mileage may vary

I agree. I respect the knife, but personally I have a strong distaste for it. I have had two 110's in my years of collecting. It's a boat anchor.

Kind of like 80's metal. I respect it because it was the forefather of my music, but I think it sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG
Back