Top 8 Reasons to Heat Treat Your Own Knives

Answer - The average knifemaker.

Ha! I was going to say "inefficient spaz." :D

Well the more a knifemaker gets into making knives and refines whatever designs and processes they zero in on, the more efficient they'll get, hopefully. For many that will be to use a pro heat treat service, such as for batches of filet knives. For others, an example being someone who goes the route of one-off blades with a hamon, it will be to get good at conducting their own heat treatment.

I am a brand newbie to knife making. I built myself a little insulated firebrick forge from a couple of YT channels, and am using a ts4000 torch as a burner. This past weekend I HTed my first knife (1084) and quenched in Canola (heated to 130F) and it was a blast! The results, as far as I know are good, but once I finish the knife, I will test it a bit. I also just ordered Larrin's book to learn more.

All arguments aside, dipping hot steel into oil makes me smile. Everytime.

This weekend I tried this for the first time. I totally agree!! And when I tested it and heard that file skate the surface and make that higher pitch sound, I danced a little jig, LOL. Hello, my name is Ron and I'm suddenly addicted to making knives...

Back