Top Five Traditionals

It's more specific than that. The knife needs to be suspended from the waist while legally open carrying it. One couldn't legally open carry using say a shoulder holster or a calf holster (with shorts):

Penal Code - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370]

( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
TITLE 3. WEAPONS AND DEVICES OTHER THAN FIREARMS [19910 - 23025]
( Title 3 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
DIVISION 5. KNIVES AND SIMILAR WEAPONS [20200 - 21590]
( Division 5 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

CHAPTER 1. General Provisions [20200- 20200.]
( Chapter 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

A knife carried in a sheath that is worn openly suspended from the waist of the wearer is not concealed within the meaning of Section 16140, 16340, 17350, or 21310.

(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. (SB 1080) Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=20200.&lawCode=PEN

And worn openly means that no part of the sheath or handle is covered by a shirt or jacket. If even part of it is covered, it is considered concealed.

This was a great idea for a thread John! I already posted my five best looking knives Jeff’s thread (which was of course inspired by yours), but we all know the users are really where it’s at. ;) :D

First up is this #15 Farm Boy. This is, hands down, my favorite GEC knife, and one that I always come back to in between giving newer knives some pocket time.

dxj3aXO.jpg

Next is the Opinel. I’ll go with this No. 6, because it’s my preferred size for pocket carry (and the first picture I could find), but I also have a No. 7 and No. 8 that see frequent action.

q6m3Hjs.jpg

I’ve probably carried this #71 Bull Nose more than any other GEC (even my favorite Farm Boy).

dhKMyg6.jpg

This next one is the only crossover from the “best looking” thread. I absolutely love the #25 pattern with its stubby little spearpoint. I have (and carry/use) several of them, but this little guy has seen the most pocket time. I took it on our first trip to England a few years back to visit my brother who was living in Bath at the time. It was the only knife I had with me for the trip, and it did everything I needed it to. :thumbsup:

U1lE1GQ.jpg

sVB8L4W.jpg

This last choice was a bit tough for me. The next several knives in my list would probably just be different #71’s and #25’s, but that’s not much fun. So I’ll skip the other Bull Noses and WLSTs, and pick my next favorite/most carried knife, which is this 2016 BladeForums #35. I like the spearpoint on this knife (not quite as much as the #25’s, but close), the bar shield and worm groove jigging look great, and that sharp little punch is fantastic!

OIMqVnU.jpg

6LN2hPA.jpg

Since I switch out pocket carry almost daily I had to pull out a bunch of knives and make a tough decision on which five best fit here. In the end I'm comfortable with my choices because like John said above, these 5 knives are like best friends. L-R 1) Fight'n Rooster, very pocketable and handy knife with the sheepsfoot/pen blade combo. 2) GEC 74 Mustang, sturdy build, nice snap and I find the drop point blade to be pretty versatile. 3) C.C. SFO
Harness Jack #10, silky smooth blade action w/o half stops, thin and spicy main and super duper punchy punch, a very attractive and functional knife IMO. 4) GEC 35 Churchill, a worker with a single back spring, nice blade combo and in the oh-so-nice equal end shape. 5) GEC 72, to my eyes this is
one of the most attractive single blade trappers made. I love the handle shape, blade shape, long pull nail nick and the bolster. I wish I had picked up a couple more of these in other cover options like the stag and rosewood when available.

View attachment 1500663 5 workers-2 - 1.jpeg
I'm gonna cheat just a little and add one as honorable mention, slap me if ya want.:D
When I want 3 blades in one knife........, hard to beat one of these

5 workers-Honorable mention - 1.jpeg

Not really my top 5 because I nearly always carry a SAK as well, often a Mechanic with pliers, but we all know what celluloid SAKs look like......

72aHAZa.jpg

Douk douk.
JJ Martinez (Santa Cruz, Spain). Needed finishing.
Homemade Barlow. (https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-old-barlow.1553843/)
Pallares (Solsona, Spain) About as cheap as it gets!
Joker (Albacete, Spain)
Nice group. Good to see your Barlow again, I remember it well! I thought the continuous bellied blade was and still is a great idea for an ultra useful slicer. How has it worked for you? BTW it's looking better than ever. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
sparerow

Top five for me based on the the past months data processing. The Trestle Pine Topper has been in my pocket the most, along with the Beer & Sausage Fidget Tool. I have been pleased beyond expectations with the Trestle Pine ever since Santa left it under the tree. The 86 and 29 are high volume usual suspects with the Craftsman stockman being the #1 weekend workhorse knife around the house.

Last edited:
Nice group. Good to see your Barlow again, I remember it well! I thought the continuous bellied blade was and still is a great idea for an ultra useful slicer. How has it worked for you? BTW it's looking better than ever. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edit- excuse the word spacing, don't know what I've managed to do but I can't rectify it!
Thank you.
The biggest criticism would be it's weight, the bolsters & liners are one piece filed from old
wrought iron bar & I should have made the liners a bit thinner, couple that to the thick bladestock & it makes for a very heavy folder, I definitely know when it's in my pocket!
Other than that I'm happy with it. The next one will be better....................;)

Last edited:
Edit- excuse the word spacing, don't know what I've managed to do but I can't rectify it!
Thank you.
The biggest criticism would be it's weight, the bolsters & liners are one piece filed from old
wrought iron bar & I should have made the liners a bit thinner, couple that to the thick bladestock & it makes for a very heavy folder, I definitely know when it's in my pocket!
Other than that I'm happy with it. The next one will be better....................;)
Sounds like you're OK with the blade shape. Maybe more of a 'round the house/garage kind of knife, still nice though. Learning and making the next better... that's what it's all about. :)
Looks like you've selected "align right"...

btb01 btb01 Superb choices there Barrett, I concur with all of them :cool: I don't have a Farmboy but that one looks well used :thumbsup: My equivalent would be a 15 Spear or Black Box Swell Centre, Spears of course:D A Scout Sheepfoot gets a look-in too. Interestingly, I favour the smaller No.6 Opinel as well, much handier size than the bigger ones.

Regards, Will

IMG_6967.jpg
What? How did that top one get in there? LOL
Spyderco Endura (?) wave; I do carry it in the top 5.
GEC 55 gifted by Jeff. Thanks again!!!
Spyderco Roadie........
Rough Rider mini tobacco sampler. Fun little knife.
Rough Rider cub lock back. Newest carry.

I'm digging some of the Lionsteel knives I've been seeing too!

Back