TOPS BoB Fieldcraft and that darn shango notch

I've owned my Brothers of Bushcraft Fieldcraft for about a year now. I've never been a fan of the shango notch for use with a ferro rod, as I have several other objects I can use to throw sparks. Even my Bushlore does a decent job with it's spine. Some people claim that you should just merely Dremel off the spine to a 90° on the Fieldcraft, but I was informed this will slightly affect the strength of the knife, due to the way it's heat treated, etc. So rather than do that, I did finally find a pretty decent method that actually works pretty well. Not sure why TOPS wouldn't have shown this method to all of those that complain about the shango notch. Here's a quick video:

Hope this helps some people not hate the shango quite so much!

You might explain what you did. I watched the video and it was unclear to me.

I modified the thread title. Family friendly and all that.

Thanks for the mod - sorry about that!

So all I do is angle the ferro into the "tinder", place the notch on the rod, and face the shango notch towards me. Then I scrape/push down and forward, adjusting the angle until it throws sparks. In all of the YouTube videos, I haven't seen anyone suggest this method, for whatever reason. This has gotten me better results than any of the other methods I've seen.

Back