TOPS Ferret Review

Hey BladeForum,

I just wanted to give you a little run down of the Tops Ferret. I've been EDC'ing it for some time now. I have not found many reviews on this knife but the limited statements I've found have been very positive....and I agree.

Pros:
-very concealable
-tough/overbuilt (may be a con for some)
-easy to get very sharp
-holds an edge very well
-great fit and finish (scales are wonderful)
-aesthetically pleasing

Cons:
-sheath retention is super tough at first (may be a pro for those that neck carry)
-takes practice to draw quickly with proper finger placement on the grip (may cut pointer if not careful)
-traction coating affects slicing ability

I have been pocket carrying this blade (front weak side) with paracord looped around my belt and then through the bottom of the sheath where the carbiner was from the factory. That way I can draw the knife and the sheath pops off during the draw when the cord becomes taut. Very quick and no more conspicuous than a clip from a folding knife. I chose this blade because I don't trust folders as much as a sturdy blade. It would excel as a neck knife I'm sure, but I prefer pocket carry. I feel this could easily be an IWB option as well for center line carry etc.

Here's some pics of the knife:

The 2" cutting edge has been very effective for me and I have not felt myself wanting for more in my EDC needs.

The jimping is great and really adds a level of security to your purchase of the blade in hand.

The grind was surprisingly even (only slightly off and no more than any other blade I've owned). It's a 1/8" thick piece of 1095 carbon steel so it's nice and durable.

Where it truly shines is that it combines all the features of a rock solid razor of a 1095 fixed blade knife in a package the same size as a folder (generic Browning that has always served me well).

I paid $52 shipped for this little beauty off of Amazon and it was definitely worth it. Just thought I'd try to get a quick review done on this blade. I'll update this thread from time to time with various tasks as I perform them with this knife, if I remember.

Examples of the way I carry my ferret:

If I think I'll be needing it a lot I put it in my watch/change pocket with the nylon or paracord lead wrapped around my belt loop:

If I want maximum concealment I just plunk it in my actual pocket (with this I just put my hand in my pocket and then use my thumb and forefinger to draw the knife from the sheath, very discreet):

I'd never seen this particular knife from TOPS before, looks like a handy little tool.

I have had my eye on this handy-looking little knife for years. Thanks for the review and pictures! :thumbup:

Murph,
Without a doubt it is truly handy. When I first saw it I was intrigued, after looking at its specs I knew I had to have it.

mark,
For years?! Get one brother. You'll love it. You're welcome on the review and pics. I was shocked that there was so little out there on this blade. I think it's a winner in small fixed blades that are worth a damn.

I appreciate the review. It's a very useable looking knife. Excellent size for an EDC. Micarta scales too. Coatings leave me cold anymore, though, but you could remedy that if you felt the need.

whetrock,
Thank you. It is very nice in the hand thanks to the scales. You get a good 3 finger hold on the knife and that jimping really does help. I am with you on the coating.

Well as you can see in the above posts pictures I used the blade on some wood and it ate away some of the traction coating (which I disliked anyway) but it left me not liking the look. I decided to carefully using q-tips and paint stripped, a razor, and then varying grits of sandpaper get rid of the coating on the blade area that showed wear and is used for slicing.

I liked how the coating was almost wavy when sanded off on the lines. I could have used the razor to really get those fine lines along the grind edge but I liked the wild look so I kept it. I also left the coating on top of the spine all the way to the tip, that was not touched.

I decided I need to test out my knife's slicing ability and also built up a protective patina since this rides in my pocket all day. I cut up some apples for the kids and didn't clean the blade. I then cut up my steak dinner using this knife (hot sauces and red meat seem to really do the trick). It is definitely a good little slicer. By the end it came out with a pretty bluish patina and it should be more resistant to rust.

I'm worse than my wife with shoes in changing things hahaha. Ok, my daughter told me it looked ugly and I kind of agreed so I polished it again and the did a vinegar soak trying to get it more a stone grey. I took the blade out of the vinegar and let it sit with some of the vinegar still on the blade for a little then cleaned it off. I really like how it turned out and so did the princess so it's staying:

Decided I'd try my polished and patina'd blade doing some feather sticks to see how much nicer it glided without the friction coating (I'm not good at feather sticks so take it for what it's worth). It makes clean cuts and has a nice smooth glide through the wood where the old coating would sometimes grip. It is a minor difference but noticable, especially if you are kind of OCD like me.

Good review! I've been eyeballing this knife lately, if i didn't already have the Becker Necker and an Izula i'd be all over it!
I used to totally ignore TOPS as Rambo knives but finally bought one (Power Eagle) and realized some of their designs are very good. They have a bunch of practical shorter knives and the Bushcraft oriented BOB and Dragonfly as well.
The Ferret and oddly the Short Stop have been catching my attention more and more. Of course the Ferret is more practical being single edged.
I don't know why i like the Short Stop as double edged knives aren't practical at all, i guess i just like the oddball aspects of it. Reminds me a little of a leaf bladed survival knife i saw in a magazine years ago, except its like a steroids version, lol.

Thank tholiver. I agree with you that TOPS does do some over the top marketing and comes off as mall ninja seeking. Like you, I see that some of their designs are very practical. The short stop does look pretty BA, although I also don't really see a practical use for me either. I'm sure if you thought hard enough you could make a good enough excuse to buy one!

Nice review

I was going to get this knife today and I get on amazon and the bk14, the black and orange scales and the tdi clip can be had for under $50. I'm torn now, I have two bk11s but have wanted the 14 for a while. Kinda torn on which to get now maybe I can swing both :D I was hoping to use the ferret to replace my keychain knife for city carry I really like how it doesn't print in the pocket.

Thanks Indian.

I think this would be an awesome keychain knife and it really doesn't print in the pocket. It just disappears. You'll love it.

Back