TOPS Ferret Review

Mine hasn't left my pocket either since March. Once you get used to the size it's an extremely capable knife

Cool little knife. I'm looking to get the Candiru but this is a nice looking alternative - and maybe less $ because it already has micarta and a decent sheath.

Thx for the review!

snippy,
You are welcome. I definitely recommend this knife. The micarta and sheath are great quality. The jimping is surprisingly useful on this little blade as well. Give it a shot.

Thank you Cryptyc good pics and review I joined just to request a specific pic. I want to know how this would "print or outline" under a dark fairly thick t-shirt. I work in the public eye and couldn't wear outside I already have pocket knifes that I edc so for me this would only be a neck knife but also only if someone couldn't tell I was wearing it. I have never owned a neck knife so I don't know if this is even a reasonable hope/expectation (I don't tuck my shirt) thank you in advance.

Hey Paulx,
I will definitely try to get my wife to snap a pic of it worn as a neck knife on me.

Until then, enjoy these pics of it completely convexed. I gave it to my wife to let her cut up a bunch more boxes and she gave it back with the very end of the tip crooked (like last 2mm). She said she went through the cardboard a few times lol. God love her. I love my wife so I used it as an excuse to completely convex my blade (really just play with my knife). I've been toying with the idea and figured why not. Here's the result so far (needs some more polishing).

I used 200, 400, 600, then 1500 grit sandpaper:

It shaves hair and kills paper with ease. I'm digging the convexed Ferret!!! I'll keep refining it when I have time until I get a darn near mirror polish. It's what I'd consider scary sharp at this point.

Thanks I did pull the trigger on it today. Last week I got the tops Bob LOVE it. The ferret will make the 5th blade I edc (yeah I got the sickness) ;!) thanks again.

I have the Tops Wolf Pulp as my ECD, took off the Micarta and used para cord. Also ECD the TOPS Mini Eagle (1/4 inch thick 1095) on both I have removed the screws from the sheaths and ground off/removed about 1/2" along their edge. On the Mini I aslo ground off a fair bit of the Micarta.

Great review and pics, thanks....

Paul,
Congrats on the purchase. You're going to love it!

Revitup,
Sweet! Thank you for the kind words. You should post up pics of them modified. I managed to get my knife polished further. Almost there:

I'm happy to say it doesn't show under my t-shirt (well it dose a tiny bit) but you would have to be looking for it and could still miss it. I'm glad I got it and wow yours is mirror polished. Thanks for the review.

Paul,
I am so sorry for constantly forgetting to have my wife take a picture. By the time I get home and start messing around with the kids etc I just lose all focus hahaha. I really do apologize for that. I am glad you got yours and it is working for you. Thank you for the compliment, it is a slicy and shiny demon now!

If you wouldn't mind could you take a picture of yours being worn under your shirt so it could be here as a resource for others looking?

Well one thing about a high polish blade is that the natural patina that forms is beautiful. I've been using my Ferret to cut up my lunches at work since we are out of plastic ware (I'm too lazy to go get some and the secretary hasn't gone yet). It has formed this gorgeous patina. Without oil on the blade it shines in a rainbow of colors. Love it.

After a pretty long backpacking trip I decided I needed a new little blade to keep with me that could handle a little more. I think this may be it. Great review man, and thanks a lot for all of the pictures and details.

:thumbup:

(First post noob here)

Hi everyone. I want to say that after reviewing this thread, I decided to get the Ferret and I love it. It's now my pocket knife that I use for a variety of tasks. It came with a rather dull edge, so I reprofiled the edge and ground away the epoxy coat on the primary bevel of the blade. The blade is now shaving sharp and it can carve wood very easily.

I reprofiled the edge with a 1000 grit King waterstone and then polished it on the slate base of an iron ring stand, which is maybe 4-5k grit. Then I cut up some bananas to get a sort of royal blue patina. I'll post pictures when possible.

Got one the other day and it’s awesome. Edge was perfect and sliced paper and hair. Probably buy a 2nd and 3rd one for different bags

Wow that is a nice patina its taking! I have a TOPS Tibo I carry as a neck knife, and I love mine. They make some useful stuff if you can get past all the mall ninja tactical machete knives. I might have to look into this knife.
Can you actually get a good grip on the knife? It looks tiny.

Back