TOPS knives, How good are they?

I have to get this in anyway, little 3 and a half inch blade and check out the thickness!
1zvy1x.jpg

its still a good topic, just needs a new thread...then again maybe the mods prefer old continued?

7 years later.......old thread brought back to life folks.....

I don't venture into the GKD sub-forum very often. I was wondering why I didn't recognize so many of these posters.

What the heck...while I'm here, I might as well spread some TOP'S 16" love. :cool: This baby travels with me everywhere I go- TOP'S makes awesome knives! :thumbsup:22728997_1509135675806542_18644155408246037_n.jpg 22814201_1509135892473187_8594085286887469519_n.jpg

I have 3 copies of the Prather War Bowie. One I stripped and customized, one I beat on and one on reserve in the drawer that I got in a trade deal. I made nice kydex for them as the standard sheath is very lacking. They have a nice long clip point design and the thing I like about it is that its flat ground. Its pretty thick behind the edge but cuts well and I have found that it is great for bushcraft, survival type wood processing. It would make a nice weapon too if needed, but thats what my firearms are for. They differentially heat treat their blades so you know you are going have a tough blade. You can see the hamon on the one that i stripped, sanded and then etched in hot vinegar. The knives they have made as hunters and bushcrafters are very useful. The tactical models are a little gimicky.

I bought a TOPS .230 machete and will never buy another TOPS knife again. It could not hold an edge. I spent more time sharpening than I did chopping. I have had 20-30 dollar machetes outperform it 5 fold, or more! At the prices TOPS sells their knives, they should be great! Fit and finish was good though. Some of their blades are "cool looking(some)", but I would rather have a knife perform, and be a boring/plain design.

There are just too many great knives to try another TOPS again, especially for the money. IMHO You can get some fantastic custom fixed blades for the price of some of their blades.

I bought a TOPS .230 machete and will never buy another TOPS knife again. It could not hold an edge. I spent more time sharpening than I did chopping. I have had 20-30 dollar machetes outperform it 5 fold, or more! At the prices TOPS sells their knives, they should be great! Fit and finish was good though. Some of their blades are "cool looking(some)", but I would rather have a knife perform, and be a boring/plain design.

There are just too many great knives to try another TOPS again, especially for the money. IMHO You can get some fantastic custom fixed blades for the price of some of their blades.
I'm glad this rarely happens.

TOPS produces a very good quality knife based on my limited experience with owning just one, the BOB since they came out. I have kept this knife and used it a lot over the years, Great HT on their 1095, sheath is average and the only issue for me is the thickness, is a tad bit to much. But overall a keeper with great ergos.

Tops makes a solid knife. If I was more into fixed blades at this point I'd have quite a few as some of their designs really interest me. :thumbsup:

I am so tempted to buy a TOPS Little Bro for my best friend.

People always assume that we're brothers, to the point we even actually tell people we are now, but he swears he's bigger even though I got him by at least 1", 5 lbs, and I'm 11 mos. older.

Be nice just to rub it in, but still give a nice gift....

I bought a tops cut 4.0 a few months back. I love it and it is my go to edc. Great combo edc. I have taken into the woods hunting and camping and worn it in an urban environment. It does it all.

I had a Tom Brown Scout that was a very nice knife. Tops products are built to be used, but I will admit that some of their designs are goofy looking.

What are your thoughts from using the Delta, @jilljackson? As I said, I could be off base but seems a bit too thick or at least thicker than necessary. The Esee JG Camplore seems better suited for same tasks and same size range.

Back