TOPs Yacare

I like the looksof of this. My only issue is that with such a deep belly, it may really be oriented to chopping tasks. At that price point, I would rather a 12"Tramontina machete for under $10 which leaves plenty extra cash for just about any sheath you may want.
Just my 2cents

170$ for a 10" 1095 blade is way out of a reasonable "price point". TOPS seems to think a lot more of their product than I do. I agree with H'n'B.
.--KV

Yes Tops has always been proud of their work. I have 12" Ontario machete 1/8" (3mm) thick that works well. The Yacare is 5mm thick. I am not going to get one but I would like to try it.

I also have a 12"x 1/8" Ontario that I cut down from 18" that lives in my pick up. It's probably the chopper I grab most often. I have a H.I. villager khukri for the heavier stuff.--KV

I have a few TOPS knives but they are just too expensive for what they are in comparison to other knives
This machete is a very exaggerated example of this

I've owned and used a variety of "chopper" knives, as well as some 12" machetes. I've found that I do not like the amount of force necessary to make a short blade chop - it uses too much energy and causes the blade to sometimes want to glance off of what I am chopping if I get the angle wrong. This can make for a nasty injury.

My "go to" is a 16" Condor Speed Machete - it will take down grass, twigs, small limbs & other brush with a flick of the wrist, but will also easily cut down small trees if I use it properly. It also costs a quarter of what TOPS wants for what I consider to be an inferior tool in terms of performance.

If I were really tight on funds, I'd grab a Tramontina bolo or 16- 18" machete for around $12 instead, but I really love that Condor. It's worth every penny that I paid for it and then some.....

There are some TOPS knives that I really like, but this one ain't one of them....

Back