Tora Tora Tora ???

Hello Kukri4302,

I am afraid you are confused with the 1950's model made by W/S, which the Gurkhas apparentley didn't like, however a friend of my fathers who was with the Gurkhas back then, thought they were very good and they are similar to the K45 issue.
The M43 is one of the best made kukri around especially the ones made in Sheffield England, some of those are still very usable today, also M43 made in Calcutta are of a very good standard, amongst other places in India.

Keep Chopping Tora

Hi Tora,

How does one identify the sheffield made M43? compared to one of Indian manufacture? & Are the ther different scabbards/frogs?

Spiral

Hello Spiral,

The Sheffield made M43 have a much better finish, a smoother blade with the grove (not fuller) being much better finished by good qualty machining. Also because the metal quality is very good they are less prone to rusting and also the handle seems to fit snugly into my hand, which is very unusual for a traditional military kukri.

Sory its a bit vague, but I hope it has been of some use, keep chopping Tora.

Cheers Tora!
I wonder if you have any photos you can link to that would illustrate these differences in machining quality?

Also I Wonder what type of rivits Sheffield used as well?

Spiral

Hello Spiral,

The best place is probably the Himalayan Imports site, under military kukri, they have the best kukri web site around and I think he has a Sheffield made one on there.

A lot of what I say is based on 36 years experience, I had my first kukri when I was nine, which my mum bought me, that makes me 45 by the way!!

So when I look at a kukri I am thinking of buying, a lot of it is gut instinct, which I am sure you will develop as well.

Keep Chopping Tora

Hi Tora, Thanks,

Well actualy I would say I have the gut instinct already, its a definative knowledge base I wish to obtain!

Thats a nice M43 on the HI military web site, Pretty much identical to one of my M43s although mine has a almost unused Brown scabbard with a stiched rather than a laced frog & large steel chape as well.
The handle timber appears identical as well rather than the more usual Rosewood on say my Quetta Bros. made versian.

I must say though when I study the grip on the photo the grooves look hand cut with a hacksaw to me? {as they do on my well machined shiny versian}Would this occur in Sheffield?

Spiral

Hello Spiral,

Without doubt the handle would be hand finished, around the M43 which would have been machine tooled out of a single piece of metal.

Back in the late 1930's and early 1940's, there would not have been a lot of differance in the manufacturing capabilty between a good Indian based cutler and a good British based cutler.

I would say however, that the Sheffield steel was probably better, somethng British Officers in the Gurkhas of that period used to comment on.

Keep Chopping Tora

I agree that the thickness of the blade is not necessarily related to how tough the edge is. I have an old Senegalese machete that is probably 3/8" thick. You can chop logs with it but the edge has never twisted, rolled or chipped. It is probably half the thickness of my thinnest Khukuri.

Sirupate,

I love the looks of your knives, hope to try to buy one and put it to the test when you get your website up. Thanks for the info.

Hello Hollowdweller,

I agree about the stock, depending on the metal and craftmanship involved in making the blade.
We have a very thinned stock M43 kukri designed for Martial Arts kata training and display, however I wouldn't like to try doing heavy duty work with it, it wasn't designed for that.
I do prefer the stock to be at least 1/4", it feels better when I am using it in the field.

Glad you like the look of our Kukri, hope they meet your aproval.

Keep Chopping Tora

Cheers Tora! Thats interesting! One more questian on this subject if you dont mind? What Sheffield firm or firms made the M43?

Cheers,
Spiral

Hi Cliff!

If possible can you post details of the blades, Atlanta ordering codes & prices please?

Also I am sure you are right about the tangs thats why in about 1916 they went to full riveted tangs!{I guess the Wet trenches in 1914/1915 trashed the partial & even the full rat tail tang kukris}

Cheers! Spiral

Hello Spiral,

I am not entirely sure, but people like J McClory, WR Humphreys etc could have been involved, where their production could be easily converted to such an item.

I'll do my best to answer any more questions, hope that has given some idea.

Keep Chopping Tora

Cheers Tora, Thanks for sharing your views! Given me some food for though.
Rest assured I will have some more questians about kukris!
Regards,
Spiral

The short tang is definately not as good as the small or riveted tang, however the local kami still make them that way in Nepal and seem happy enough.

Not for me though, definatele prefer the small or riveted tang.

Keep chopping Tora

Thanks Cliff, Thats great!

they seem expensive for just the blades to me to me though:( pity!
Still the kardas sounds like a good deal.
Cheers!
Spiral

Originally posted by cliff355
The tangs on these blades are substantial and have a very thick taper, but they only look like they are a couple inches long.

Thus, I don't think I will be getting into "khuk reconstruction" any time soon.

Cliff since these are original, but not complete I think a man could do what he wanted with them. Using a good two ton epoxy and then drilling a hole through the handle and tang and inserting a glue covered pin through both would make a khuk that would last a hundred years IMO.
If I had the money I would buy a Long Leaf and another Bhojpure in a heartbeat!!!!:D
And the original handles as well. The wood is well seasoned and cured and should be very stable. Besides trying to make a khuk handle for ten bucks just isn't worth the work when they're that cheap!!!!:D

In several posts I've seen the comment that it's more difficult to make a 1/4" thick khukuri than one approaching 1/2". Why is that the case?

Back