1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Toughest, Longest-lasting clothing brands?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by oguruma, Dec 21, 2010.

1. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Don't forget - on the fire hose work pants, if you do succeed in wearing through them, they'll replace the pants, shipped free even.

2. rt014

rt014

Jun 21, 2001
    Filson
    RailRiders
    Empire Canvas Works

3. displacedtexan

displacedtexan

May 17, 2010
    I wear a lot of Carhartt for durability.

For boot socks Redhead (Bass Pro store brand) has the best deal going. $10 a pair, lifetime warranty. If you wear them out take em in and they'll swap em out. No questions asked. I usually get a year or so out of a pair before they start getting threadbare. Comfy socks to boot.

4. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Tesla Model S Platinum Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Duluth Trading - Great and comfortable gear

5. bikerider

bikerider

Nov 28, 2006
    I'll have to say TNF. I've got a mountain light parka, down jacket and a backpack and a few other items that I've been using consistently since the 90's and it still looks brand new. I don't know about their newer stuff however. REI stuff is ok, but will not last as long. Arcteryx makes quality equipment and should last you a very long time.

6. PDE

PDE

Nov 7, 2010
    Filson, their stuff is near bulletproof!!!!!!

7. gulliamo

gulliamo

Nov 26, 2005
    That's really disappointing! I was going to buy a pair of these for backpacking this summer since they had the features I'm looking for (light, quick-drying, cargos, reinforced knee/seat, bug repellent). I wish they didn't have the Bear logo but I thought it would be worth the expense if they last forever. Now my search will have to continue... maybe these?

http://www.exofficio.com/product_de...6536&key=95ccb9d2-a663-470e-b613-fbe4b7c9ed53

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. oguruma

oguruma

Jan 3, 2010
    Thats a shame to hear about Craghoppers. I ordered some stuff from there for my wife and myself, but it hasnt gotten here yet. The price was right, so I won't be too distraught if it turns out to be junk. I'll report back either way, though.

9. storl

storl

Apr 17, 2007
    A lot of them do, you just won't ever see them marketed as such. I know that Icebreaker and Arc'Teryx both do a lot of military business.

10. mdc5162

mdc5162 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2010
    patagonia and mountain hardwear

11. Anjin

Anjin

Mar 30, 2007
    My Beaufort lasted more than 25 years of hard use all over the world and could withstand anything until my new, young wife put it in the washing machine. The brass zippers chewed holes in the fabric and of course it had be be laboriously re-waxed. Absolutely ruined. Didn't do the washing machine any good, either. The ONLY way to clean them is to rinse off with a garden hose, brush and no soap.

I bought a lighter weight black replacement Barbour from an Australian source for fishing here in Japan, but the wax used there had such a foul smell that it is basically unusable and collects on one's other clothes. Buy from a trusted source such as the Internet sites in England or Orvis.

Norm

12. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Filson, for sure.

I don't have any Duluth Trading clothes, but I do have a heavy nylon briefcase from that still looks good after five years on the drill rigs and four trips as carry-on to Australia.

Columbia, for coats and jackets.

13. texas gun person

texas gun person

Jun 9, 2010
    For the good price I would have to say L.L. Bean

For a high price it would be Patagonia.

14. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl

May 22, 2002
    LL Bean makes quality stuff.
    Woolrich, Pendleton

15. BostonBull

BostonBull

Dec 15, 2007
    Arborwear is #1 for me.

REI, EMS, Smartwool, Patagonia are all in my closet and get used climbing trees everyday. Havent bought new work clothes in years. I would say I work in top 5-10 toughest environments out there?

16. cb4life_30

cb4life_30 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 18, 2006
    You definately can't go wrong with carharts. I like wranglers for jeans, and there riggs wear jeans and cargo pants are nice too. They have a gussetted crotch for easier movement.

17. Spydiefan04

Spydiefan04

Jan 8, 2005
    Another vote here for Carharrt and L.L. Bean.

Something I had never thought about until this thread I own several Columbia Jackets and do wear them often in the cold but if I am going out to work in the cold I always pick up the Carharrt, so I guess maybe I'm guilty of the fashion thing:) Never owned an L.L. Bean coat but have nearly every thing else: boots, socks, etc. it too is excellent gear, and they (Bean) has been a pleasure to deal with is a size is wrong, they will in my experience make sure you are satisfied.

18. Nathanial4

Nathanial4

Mar 11, 2002
    Marmot makes excellent outdoor gear.

Mountain Khakis make excellent pants.

+1 for Patagonia

19. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Different stuff, but the brands are the same. So is the satisfactory performance.

20. Sufler

Sufler Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2005