Toughest, Longest-lasting clothing brands?

I have recently been ordering from Duluth. I am in construction sales and a pair of pants will last about 6-7 months - usually the victim of rebar, concrete forms, remesh, etc. I have been buying the firehose canvas pants - have had two pair for 2 years - with the exception of them fading, they look new. I've had a number of instances where I know the jeans, chinos, etc. that I've worn in the past would have been ruined. I also use them to cut firewood and typically the fabric on pants wears out on the thighs - I haven't noticed any wear on the Duluths. I purchased a heavy coat from them vs. Carhart because the firehose fabric softens up faster and I think its more durable - had it for a year and it still looks new. I do like Pendleton and Filson except for the fact that they have gotten a bit pricey - but you definitely get what you pay for. Woolrich has a great product at a good price point. Not as enamored with Bean as I used to be.
Don't forget - on the fire hose work pants, if you do succeed in wearing through them, they'll replace the pants, shipped free even.

I wear a lot of Carhartt for durability.

For boot socks Redhead (Bass Pro store brand) has the best deal going. $10 a pair, lifetime warranty. If you wear them out take em in and they'll swap em out. No questions asked. I usually get a year or so out of a pair before they start getting threadbare. Comfy socks to boot.

I'll have to say TNF. I've got a mountain light parka, down jacket and a backpack and a few other items that I've been using consistently since the 90's and it still looks brand new. I don't know about their newer stuff however. REI stuff is ok, but will not last as long. Arcteryx makes quality equipment and should last you a very long time.

I wouldn’t waste the time, I got a few items from them over the summer because they had a big sale going on and I wanted to try some more modern stuff. Their sizing is way off unless you are a hobbit. The stuff is still made in China and the quality was defiantly below what I was expecting. Messed up seams and loose threads everywhere.

I did get a thin fleece pullover from them that I really like except that the borders are already coming unstitched after a few light hikes and doing feeding chores here. It will make me take a harder look at some more modern clothes, just not from that vendor.
That's really disappointing! I was going to buy a pair of these for backpacking this summer since they had the features I'm looking for (light, quick-drying, cargos, reinforced knee/seat, bug repellent). I wish they didn't have the Bear logo but I thought it would be worth the expense if they last forever. Now my search will have to continue... maybe these?

http://www.exofficio.com/product_de...6536&key=95ccb9d2-a663-470e-b613-fbe4b7c9ed53

Last edited:
Thats a shame to hear about Craghoppers. I ordered some stuff from there for my wife and myself, but it hasnt gotten here yet. The price was right, so I won't be too distraught if it turns out to be junk. I'll report back either way, though.

Which brings me to my favorite bitch; why can't any other makers of high end T shirts realize the market for military colors. UA owns this nitch, and that means they sell 3-4 MILLION T shirts a year to those of us who need them. Issue stuff is crap; everybody buys good shirts. You'd think REI (at least) would catch on to this, but no. They already make the shirts, they just need to add the colors. How hard can that be?

A lot of them do, you just won't ever see them marketed as such. I know that Icebreaker and Arc'Teryx both do a lot of military business.

+1 to Filson, L.L. Bean, Pendleton, and Woolrich.

Also, I haven't purchased any of their newer stuff, but my Barbour Beaufort is going on 15 years of rough usage.:thumbup:

My Beaufort lasted more than 25 years of hard use all over the world and could withstand anything until my new, young wife put it in the washing machine. The brass zippers chewed holes in the fabric and of course it had be be laboriously re-waxed. Absolutely ruined. Didn't do the washing machine any good, either. The ONLY way to clean them is to rinse off with a garden hose, brush and no soap.

I bought a lighter weight black replacement Barbour from an Australian source for fishing here in Japan, but the wax used there had such a foul smell that it is basically unusable and collects on one's other clothes. Buy from a trusted source such as the Internet sites in England or Orvis.

Norm

Filson, for sure.

I don't have any Duluth Trading clothes, but I do have a heavy nylon briefcase from that still looks good after five years on the drill rigs and four trips as carry-on to Australia.

Columbia, for coats and jackets.

Arborwear is #1 for me.

REI, EMS, Smartwool, Patagonia are all in my closet and get used climbing trees everyday. Havent bought new work clothes in years. I would say I work in top 5-10 toughest environments out there?

You definately can't go wrong with carharts. I like wranglers for jeans, and there riggs wear jeans and cargo pants are nice too. They have a gussetted crotch for easier movement.

Another vote here for Carharrt and L.L. Bean.

Something I had never thought about until this thread I own several Columbia Jackets and do wear them often in the cold but if I am going out to work in the cold I always pick up the Carharrt, so I guess maybe I'm guilty of the fashion thing:) Never owned an L.L. Bean coat but have nearly every thing else: boots, socks, etc. it too is excellent gear, and they (Bean) has been a pleasure to deal with is a size is wrong, they will in my experience make sure you are satisfied.

Marmot makes excellent outdoor gear.

Mountain Khakis make excellent pants.

+1 for Patagonia

Dickies... Got IIRC 5 pairs of plain blue jeans. This is my default for pants.

Kirkland/Costco... Love the Head (brand) boot socks. White T's and jeans are nice too.

Carharrt... I've had a duck jacket for 3 years going strong. Thing is like a furnace.

Different stuff, but the brands are the same. So is the satisfactory performance.

Back