Tourist and knives in Mexico City?

We are planning a trip to Mexico City next fall, via air travel. I’ve carried a SAK and 3” BM folder in Germany and Spain without issue by TSA, customs or local police. Wondering what to expect for customs and local police flying to MC?

Not intending this for self defense, and not planning to go bar hopping or wandering around neighborhoods at night or scouting the country side. Going to tourist sites with some friends and frankly feel naked without my EDC knives like a SAK Camper and Spyderco Salt 2 (Delica derivative).

OK to take in checked bag? Any issues carrying in public? If so, any issues at least having in the hotel?

I tried to find info from the consulate on this and not having much luck. I am assuming there are knife laws but maybe not??

Nobody here from Mexico or traveled there recently with a knife? Nobody survived the trip?!

As long as a Sak is in your checked luggage you will be fine. I was 6 years ago when my wife & I traveled to Mexico City. Worse case, you’ll lose it. But I’d take a small folder, Sam etc there again today! Have Fun, and ask a taxi/hotel person where one of the Lebanese Shwama Taco places are! They have the Roasted meats on the spit loaded into Tortillas and all kinds of great Salsa lined up for you to chose! Yum! Also go to the Anthropology Museum Downtown! Great Aztec , Mayan & Omec artifacts on display! World Class. Some days they have the Aztec flyers! These guys climb up about a 100 feet up a pole and four of them spin by ropes around in circles! :thumbsup:

Mexican here, I usually check in my ZT with me when I travel home, just hide it well. It also required by law to check in knives when traveling via plane.

I'm more afraid of TSA taking it away from my hands than anything else. Police in Mexico couldn't care less if you are carrying a small knife, especially a tourist. You'll be fine as long as you aren't open carrying a bowie knife.

Back