Toxic Axe Personality Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen just about every forum I've been involved with go through phases of increasing and decreasing levels of toxic, sarcastic, or generally non-productive posting. I would like to go along with stereotype and claim its the youngsters, but I've seen plenty of people of all ages doing it.

Also noticed how people develop an obsession to seek out a nemesis that they can hunt down and prove wrong any time they post. I have certainly had people do that to me on various forums, and I catch myself wanting to do it too. Usually I when catch myself, I take it as a reminder to be polite to someone today, especially on the internet where there is no penalty for not being polite.

Treating others with respect and courtesy is something we do for ourselves, not for them. So many people never are taught this, and never work it out on their own. I don't think that is anything new though... its just exacerbated by the lack of accountability on forums.

42, glad you started this. We have some on several forums I frequent. Using good social ettiquette is at times a challenge, when there is no
requirement on internet chat forums to do so. Or they have never been schooled in such. But lack of this comes out. They get on after a bad day at work or after drinking and start venting. Then some of us don't care to contribute in the topic. Bi-polar or off meds could be a contributing factor as well. I usually avoid that thread and wait for another day. When that starts, locking it early on is healthy. DM

.........Treating others with respect and courtesy is something we do for ourselves, not for them. So many people never are taught this, and never work it out on their own
I couldn't agree more:thumbsup:
I have learned a great deal from some of the members here. My axe/hatchet knowledge is limited concerning both imports and vintage pieces and compared to many others my collection is meager. I don't let the opinions of others prevent me from enjoying them. I enjoy searching flea markets, yard sales, and antique shops for my next treasure. I have been lucky enough to find several pieces over the past couple years. I'm always hesitant to post pics because I know there will be a select few who will thrive on explaining why I made a terrible purchase, point out the catastrophic flaws, or tell me I posted in the wrong thread.

I have learned a great deal from some of the members here. My axe/hatchet knowledge is limited concerning both imports and vintage pieces and compared to many others my collection is meager. I don't let the opinions of others prevent me from enjoying them. I enjoy searching flea markets, yard sales, and antique shops for my next treasure. I have been lucky enough to find several pieces over the past couple years. I'm always hesitant to post pics because I know there will be a select few who will thrive on explaining why I made a terrible purchase, point out the catastrophic flaws, or tell me I posted in the wrong thread.

I want to see anything you have to post Fishiker :thumbsup:

This aspect is easy enough to avoid if you omit mentioning purchase price. No one thumbs their nose at something when they don't know how much, or how little, you paid. Intentionally gloating over steals is certainly something that gets my goat up.

It seems to me that every individual has there own definition of TAPD, good social etiquette, political correctness, trolling, etc., etc. Suppose Member1 posts "BLO will cure baldness" and Member2 posts a reply directly to Member1 "prove it". How do you react to Member2s reply? Some possibilities:

• Member2 is a troll
  • Member2 could have stated their reply in a more "polite" way
  • I don't like Member2s tone
  • I don't like Member2
  • Member2 obviously doesn't like Member1
  • Member2 has no real world experience with BLO
  • Member2 is right on
  • Member1 should never be questioned

A reader cannot read a poster's mind. But because we are all human we will see a post (probably unconsciously) through some sort of bias or prejudice. After all "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

So, what are we left with? When we join BFC we agree to the posting rules they have established. For me that is the bottom line. Also, if a person feels that a post doesn't follow the rules they have the ability make their case to a BFC moderator.

Bob

I'll add that to the list. :D
It wasn't my intent to single you out. Sure you make me jealous but I'm also very much cognizant that you opportunistically scoop up auction, Estate and bulk lots on a regular basis which must ultimately leave you with a frustrating mountain of leftover junk to deal with. But you're correct, if you left the prices out, it wouldn't detract or diminish from your 'mouth-watering' posts.

Intentionally gloating over steals is certainly something that gets my goat up.
Sounds like jealousy.
I am happy to learn of somebodys joy about their "killer deal". It matters not if its an axe find or gold nugget in the backyard.
Makes the world a happier place.

Sounds like jealousy.
I am happy to learn of somebodys joy about their "killer deal". It matters not if its an axe find or gold nugget in the backyard.
Makes the world a happier place.
For you I guess that's OK but you haven't scooped up a spotless Black Raven for $1 at the side of road yet either. Financial 'one-upmanship' does nothing to promote enjoyment of something, but does make other proud owners needlessly feel like they got taken advantage of or paid way too much. Or it initiates a juvenile verbal exchange of 'I got this way cheaper than you did, so I win big' attitude. Except for list prices on current models we really shouldn't be glorifying (or expounding on) things like this.

Except for list prices on current models we really shouldn't be glorifying (or expounding on) things like this.

According to who?

Financial 'one-upmanship' does nothing to promote enjoyment of something......Or it initiates a juvenile verbal exchange of 'I got this way cheaper than you did, so I win big' attitude.

One-upmanship? When has that happened? What you earlier characterized as gloating I always thought of as sharing. You are assigning negative motivations to people that you have no way of knowing are true. In fact, what you describe hasn't ever happened here that I can remember. Quite the contrary in fact. I have never seen such an attitude expressed in the thread. Am I missing all of the pissing contests regarding who found what for how much?

but does make other proud owners needlessly feel like they got taken advantage of or paid way too much.

What can I say here? Most people always seem to share the excitement of a nice find and generally are happy for each other and express as much. Are we to now all shut that down and put an end to that for the people that enjoy it because somebody somewhere might silently feel hurt that they didn't go out and find something cool on their own? Sorry.

For you I guess that's OK but you haven't scooped up a spotless Black Raven for $1 at the side of road yet either. Financial 'one-upmanship' does nothing to promote enjoyment of something, but does make other proud owners needlessly feel like they got taken advantage of or paid way too much. Or it initiates a juvenile verbal exchange of 'I got this way cheaper than you did, so I win big' attitude. Except for list prices on current models we really shouldn't be glorifying (or expounding on) things like this.

Somehow this has never bothered me much. Someone else getting a better deal than I may have on anything doesn't reduce my pleasure in owning and using whatever it is. I've gotten lucky myself now and then, and I've certainly gotten taken too - all just part of life's experience.

If I comment at all on another person's good fortune it is to congratulate them on lucking into a good deal. On some old tool forums or gun collecting forums, the first thing people like to do is share their pleasure in good luck with friends who have similar interests. Usually people seem to take it as an opportunity to reminisce over times when fortune smiled on themselves too.

I generally like hearing about what a good deal folks got. That's just how antiques work. It's not as if I would have been able to have bought said axe if they hadn't stumbled upon it so it's not like it's a lost opportunity or anything. :)

I have seen some sentiment in this thread that reflects the idea that folks would be better off agreeing to disagree more often. While this is true in some cases, I've had numerous discussions where agreeing to disagree is impossible on account of not understanding one another's points, statements, or goals to begin with. Although in general, this subforum is full of people who do an excellent job of thinking critically, self-correcting, and being open-minded and courteous to one another (compared with the rest of the internet). In person we might all have trouble finding disagreements we could actually care about.

Almost forgot. Another classic symptom of TAPD is "sealioning".

main-qimg-648a98e3b45c9fe3ab1f905a9bf7828a.webp

Nope, now I can't agree.

The trouble with that line of thinking is that it rules out the possibility that the sealion might actually have a point. No one is right all the time, likewise no one is wrong all the time.

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the term. Sealioning requires aggressiveness, feigned civility, and an unwilling debate partner. The opposite party must not want to engage in the debate, and the sealion is unrelenting, while using the guise of civility to shield themselves from reproach. That's very different from the dissenting party having a point or asking for evidence of a claim.

It's often possible to sniff out disingenuous posturing. Namely because attempts to feign civility are often imperfect and transparent. :D See the original example of the literal sealion claiming to have been unfailingly polite despite ignoring flat out requests to go away and invading a private residence. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back