Trading Post Knives?

Thanks but I was looking for something a bit more finished kind of a more urban civilized sort of thing of that time period.

Oh this is hilarious so I write to Trading Post contact:

Hi,

I was wondering about the production method and origins of this knife? Was the steel produced in the US by a small manufacturer or is it a blank that's been worked? Is it from Pakistan? Is it 1095 carbon? How is the heat treat, can it be sharpened easily will it hold an edge etc?

And Priscilla she climbs trees replies to me "unknown origin"

Well magical Priscilla to me that means knife made in Pakistan probably a piece of s***

Oh well I should be in Spain soon probably pick up something there as that was the home of the Argentinian cowboy knives that inspired the Bowie knife etc etc so on and so forth

The Ontario old hickory hunter is a good knife right off the shelf. The sheath it comes is not too bad either.

View attachment 1488783
Thanks that's not a bad looking rough frontier knife. however I think I'm going for something a bit more refined to use as a steak knife maybe first and foremost.

Might end up with something more Spanish colonial cuchilla façon at this rate- that's all right, I always loved the look of the Serles Fowler Bowie

I bought a Baghdad box cutter from tops some years ago and my conclusion was it was way too chunky and had very limited utility at least for me.

In terms of condor and sword some of the Condor looked interesting but I think I might be for half a step up in quality and finish but then again I'll have to take another look

For a more modern style take a look at the Tops Camp Creek knife. It reminds me of a skinner. Also see Condor and Svord, they have some nicely finished traditional looking skinners.

"my understanding of the trade knives like Green River is that they were mass-produced cheap to shove off on the Indians in order to grab furs etc."

I think you need to research the fur trade in a little more depth. The Native Americans were fairly sophisticated in their tastes in trade goods. Knives of poor quality were quickly rejected and they took their business elsewhere. As for Russell Green River knives, they came along too late for the mountain man/beaver trade period of history. I. Wilson and other Sheffield brands were the true mountain man brands. There are plenty of I Wilson knives still around. Try one and I think you will be surprised how well they actually perform.

Back