Tradional Group Buy

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
In this thread I would like to gauge the interest that a project like this will gather as well as discuss the possible patterns.

Being Traditional I would like to keep the pattern something that has been around for a long time; ex. Nessmuk, Kephart, Canadian Belt Knife or something similar.

I would like to keep the size of knife to 9" OAL or under.

In an effort to keep the project timely and manageable I am limiting the run to 10 pieces.

Let the discussion begin.

I'm still interested after reading this thread's commentary. However, my decision depends on the final cost.

Last edited:
I've pretty much settled on a very thin Nessmuk, with the sharp edge extending right to the scales but not sure about steel. Couple months ago I'd vote for m390, too, but it turned out to be too prone to chipping. So 3V maybe? This is part where I'd love to hear from you Chris.

Chris,
I've been eyeing your knives for quite a long time. Since I am a traditional knife enthusiast, maybe this time I might pull the trigger, so I'm entering this topic and tossing my two cents :)
I would love to see a 8 or 8 1/2" Kephart close enough to the original design (FFG) but in a steel that allows you to keep it thin and light yet maintaining enough toughness for any outdoor task.

:cool:

I would prefer a Canadian belt knife but would also be open to a nessmuk. As stated in the previous thread, I would prefer 5/32" thick, 3V or 4V, 4" blade (at least) and a FFG. If we go with a traditional design I would expect some kind of wood scales would be most fitting.... But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we went with linen micarta either.

I noticed that 10V has been mentioned a few times. I like 10V, in fact my last knife from Big Chris is in 10V. My concerns with 10V are that it usually comes with a hefty price tag and it may be a pain for Chris to grind 10 of them. If the price isn't a concern, I would actually prefer S90V. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
As much as I love your take on the Nessmuk and I own two from you and I love your Kephart design I'm going to vote for a Canadian Belt knife as my 1st choice. I would love to see what you could come up with. I tend to lean to more toward a 4.50 inch handle and a 4.50 inch blade. I thinks this combo just works about perfectly for most of me needs. I have a few of your knives in O1 and I'm impressed with the edge holding and toughness you get from it but I wouldn't mind other carbon steels. I also love what you do with CPM-154. as far as blade thickenss no thinner than 3/32 inch and no thicker than 5/32 inch. I'm partial to micarta and G-10 handles. So here is what I would like to see.

Knife: 1st Choice: Canadian Belt knife, 2nd Choice: Nessmuk, 3rd Choice: Kephart

Handle Length: 4.50 inches

Blade Length: 4.50 inches

Blade Thickness: 1st Choice: 1/8 inch, 2nd Choice: 3/32 inch, 3rd choice 5/32 inch, 4th choice 3/16 inch

Handle Material: 1st Choice: OD green micarta, 2nd Choice: Yellow G-10 with green liners.

Blade Steel: Carbon; 1st Choice 52100, 2nd Choice: 80CrV2, 3rd Choice:O1, 4th Choice: Blue #2

Blade Steel: Stainless; 1st Choice: CPM-154, 2nd Choice 154CM

Blade Grind: 1st Choice high flat, 2nd Choice: Convex, 3rd Choice: High Saber

Something in 4.5" ish blade, thin stock (.100" max), FFG, 3v, 4v, or M4 pushed heat treat, Rc61-62 for 3v, harder for the other steels. With cryo. \i'd probably go for 4v or M4 as I don't have either at the moment.

Style either a Nessmuck, or Canadian. Canvas micarta scales. The offset handel angle and "leaf"shaped blade of the \Canadian also makes it very effective for kitchen slicing in small package.

I'm not sure of the parameters of the handles but I think it would be cool to set out a bunch of handles, do a drawing of some sort and let the buyers pick in that order! It would be cool to have a selection that runs the spectrum also. Everything from money or blue jean micarta to starry night to regular ole black g10.

This is getting exciting!

I would think a choice of two steels, and several choices of micarta/ G10.
I'm good with most colors.

I would think a choice of two steels, and several choices of micarta/ G10.
I'm good with most colors.

Chris can speak for himself, but my guess is he wants to keep this as simple and efficient as possible. Handle materials are relatively easy to offer selections, steel maybe not so much. I think his offer is really nice, even with one steel, and with so many good options that he has experience with, hard to go wrong on that count. My 0.02.

A lot of good conversation here.

The original idea for this project was to be a Nessmuk inspired pattern, so that is what the first run will be.

I am counting a possible 9 members interested. That is good enough for me to say we can move forward.

I was talking this through with Mrs. Big Chris today and another steel came to mind, A2.
It is a somewhat traditional carbon tool steel that has very good qualities for knives.
It's tough, can be ran at 60-61 Rc, can be ground thin, and is easier to maintain in the field than some of the other steels.
I would definitely source some quality USA made steel if this is the one decided on.

Also as mentioned earlier by dogrunner, I would like to try to keep this one fairly simple and straight forward.
One steel option for all knives and limited scale materials. If this goes off smoothly I could try to add some additional options for the next group buy if anyone is interested.
I would also like to limit the steel choice to an air hardening steel.

I don't own any Big Chris knives at the moment but I would certainly be interested in any of the traditional knife patterns.

Nessmuk then Kephart then CBK. I appreciate the ease of maintenance. Something I could touch up with my sharpmaker or a diamond card.

If any knife goes near my kitchen though it better be stainless. My wife doesn't understand what leaving knives in the sink or covered in food does to them.

Edit to add: I love micarta and steels like S30/110v but when I think of a traditional knife like a muk or Kephart I think O1/A2 and wooden scales

Back