Tradional Group Buy

Thank you for doing that. It's pitting that you're looking for. From the looks of that pic, penetration wasn't that deep. Not bad...

Would you mind using that blade with your bare hand for at least 30 minutes and reporting back? Do whatever, what's important is that you release sweat onto the blade and work it into the tang. Point is, have fun and work it hard. Let it sit for 15 minutes before you clean it. Inspect the butt, what do you see?

Sorry for my absence, we had a very busy weekend and I did very very little looking at the computer.

Thanks for starting the poll Luke, that was informational but I really feel it gave a few more options than needed.
Based on the discussion that has been bouncing back and forth here the real choice is between 3V and 4V.
It seems that the big hold up on 4V is the corrosion resistance.
It has been a couple years since my tests but I do remember the results.
I cut a bunch of stuff while cooking supper one night and quickly noticed how fast it was developing a purplish patina. I left the knife dirty for close to 18 to 20 hours with out much change.
It was when I let it set with food matter on it for over 48 hours that I started to notice the small rust spots that turned out to be very small pits (this is still way better that what I have experienced with O1, 52100, 1095, or Hitachi Blue #2). I don't thin there was any blood left on the knife, just fruit and vegetable debris and acids. Now, 3V will do this exact same thing it just takes longer. Let me ask this though; how many of you use a knife $250-$300 knife, get it nasty and dirty, and then wait days to clean it or even wipe it off? Even when I am working with one in the woods or yard I will wipe the blade off on my pants before resheathing it.
A little care goes a long way, it does not matter the maker, value, or steel.

My original choice for this project was for 1/8" 4V, but now I think I want to change my vote to 3/32" 4V.
I will be very honest and say that 3V really brings a lot to the table for knife and steel enthusiasts. There really is not much that it does not excel at.
With 4V you give up just a slight amount of toughness and corrosion resistance but you receive a pretty decent gain in edge holding.

I guess I am at the point where I am pushing for 3/32" 4V as the steel of choice.

3/32in 4v, I second the motion! :D

Scales? Micarta pleasssssse. And option of kydex taco sheath? :D :D

Tapered tang would be sweet, but push price up to where it might not be as accessible...

Contoured handles though or I'm not in.. I've seen the "basic" knives you've made, and the scales look sharp and uncomfortable..

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this!

3V I would run at 60 Rc.

I cut a bunch of stuff while cooking supper one night and quickly noticed how fast it was developing a purplish patina. I left the knife dirty for close to 18 to 20 hours without much change

That’s the info I was looking for. How long can a steal make it before a user has a chance to rinse it off and make sure no salt (form the sweat of their hand) and/or acidic residues are left on the steal? I think a minimum of 12 hours is reasonable.

As long as 4V can make it that long without care, or at least minimal care, that’s sufficient.

Thanks for your report, it’s appreciated.

3V will still remain my first choice but I would still be willing to try 4V just because I don't have any knives in this steel.

...I want in on this...and your choice of 3/32" 4V as the steel of choice sound's great to me....with full flat grind and clean sides.

I came across this thread while searching for someone to make a Canadian belt knife in a different steel than those offered by the original Canadian company. It looks like this buy is trending toward a Nessmuk, but I'm interested to see how the final specs end up and maybe grabbing one, so I'm going to follow along. If there is a future group buy for a a Canadian belt knife pattern, I will definitely be interested in that one too.

Been looking at more than a few Nessmuks that have sold over the past 6 months on the forums and am intrigued as I don't own the pattern. Following along as well.

If there's still room, I'll join too. 3V, 4V...good either way. 3/32 is a good thickness!

Looking at the poll results I'd say that there are almost enough people for both runs, in 3V and 4V.

I am down with the steel/ thicknesses that have been whittled down to..... How about scales? Canvas micarta would be good with me ;) (especially green)

wroughndt, I would have to agree with you on canvas micarta and I would be down for green.

Back