Traditional and Modern pairings

41895960031_7bd5e5e5d0_h.jpg

Giving this 940 a try.

What is that bronze fella right there on top?
That's my new Doc Shiffer backpocket folder. I'm struggling on whether or not to keep and carry it or release it. It wouldn't be a question if my small Inkosi wasn't such a damn fine knife. I honestly hate not carrying my Inkosi daily. I've had one in my pocket for most of 3 years now. The struggle is real! Lol.

That's my new Doc Shiffer backpocket folder. I'm struggling on whether or not to keep and carry it or release it. It wouldn't be a question if my small Inkosi wasn't such a damn fine knife. I honestly hate not carrying my Inkosi daily. I've had one in my pocket for most of 3 years now. The struggle is real! Lol.

I've heard a lot about Sabenzas, but only ever held one once. I have no reason to doubt their reputation. Still, that Doc Shiffer looks really fine (better looking than an inkosi to my eye anyway). How does the fit and finish and the action compare?

I've heard a lot about Sabenzas, but only ever held one once. I have no reason to doubt their reputation. Still, that Doc Shiffer looks really fine (better looking than an inkosi to my eye anyway). How does the fit and finish and the action compare?
The Shiffer runs on bearings so the action is butter. Though it's not a flipper or a flicker, it's a smooth arcing motion with your thumb to lock it into place. Doc's fit and finish on this knife is outstanding! The fact though that it is completely hand built, I don't think comparing it to a CRK is very fair to be honest. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. I'm just saying Doc is a 1 man show building full hand made customs in his small shop. The other is a fairly large production knife company who has been at the very top of the knife game for 25 years and has won the Manufacturing Quality Award 15 times.

The Shiffer runs on bearings so the action is butter. Though it's not a flipper or a flicker, it's a smooth arcing motion with your thumb to lock it into place. Doc's fit and finish on this knife is outstanding! The fact though that it is completely hand built, I don't think comparing it to a CRK is very fair to be honest. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. I'm just saying Doc is a 1 man show building full hand made customs in his small shop. The other is a fairly large production knife company who has been at the very top of the knife game for 25 years and has won the Manufacturing Quality Award 15 times.

Thanks for a very thoughtful response. I have often wondered if the custom-like prices (though, I've come to learn, many customs are much more expensive) of sebenzas are justified when compared to customs. I suppose it would be similar to comparing GEC to custom slip joints, except that GEC prices are much less by comparison.

Thanks for a very thoughtful response. I have often wondered if the custom-like prices (though, I've come to learn, many customs are much more expensive) of sebenzas are justified when compared to customs. I suppose it would be similar to comparing GEC to custom slip joints, except that GEC prices are much less by comparison.
I've owned quite a few Sebenza's and the quality cannot be disputed but that knife never fully resonated with me. It was the small Inkosi that changed my whole perspective on modern folding knives. In my opinion it's a far superior knife to the Sebenza obviously others mileage may vary. ;)

I've owned quite a few Sebenza's and the quality cannot be disputed but that knife never fully resonated with me. It was the small Inkosi that changed my whole perspective on modern folding knives. In my opinion it's a far superior knife to the Sebenza obviously others mileage may vary. ;)

Ha! I hadn't even been distinguishing between the various models offered by Chris Reeve, but that's a very relevant point. What makes the inkosi so different, for you?

Ha! I hadn't even been distinguishing between the various models offered by Chris Reeve, but that's a very relevant point. What makes the inkosi so different, for you?
The oversized washers offer superior lateral stability of the blade. Oversized ceramic detent ball also designed to operate as non-wearing lock face. Large oversized pivot which I also think looks better aesthetically. Just loosen the pivot and remove 1 frame screw on the persentation side and the knife is disassembled. Easiest knife to take apart and maintain I have ever seen. Tolerances are perfect. The presentation side scale snaps into place. Clip placement is an improvement over Sebenza. Double sided thumb studs are standard on the inkosi and not an extra cost. I find the ergos and deeper 3D chamfering to be better and more aesthetically pleasing. I should probably share a pic huh!?!?
20180507_151630.jpg

The oversized washers offer superior lateral stability of the blade. Oversized ceramic detent ball also designed to operate as non-wearing lock face. Large oversized pivot which I also think looks better aesthetically. Just loosen the pivot and remove 1 frame screw on the persentation side and the knife is disassembled. Easiest knife to take apart and maintain I have ever seen. Tolerances are perfect. The presentation side scale snaps into place. Clip placement is an improvement over Sebenza. Double sided thumb studs are standard on the inkosi and not an extra cost. I find the ergos and deeper 3D chamfering to be better and more aesthetically pleasing. I should probably share a pic huh!?!?
View attachment 901485

Cool. Thanks for the info! I may have to put on of these inkosi on the "save up to buy" list.

This is my first post in this thread. I generally have no interest in modern knives, but I’ve always wanted a Benchmade. Having lived in Portland, OR Benchmade knives are somewhat of a local hero to my folk over there. I just could never justify spending that much on a pocket knife. Well, the other day I sold a rifle I never use and decided that now is the time to dip my toes into the modern water.

OMTIZUR.jpg

This is the Mini Crooked River. Here it is with its obvious predecessor, the mighty Buck 110.

Back