Traditional and Modern pairings

Well I pretty much always carry one of each. Here are a few combos I've carried enough to take photos of, in fact I carried the Kopa-Nut combo just last week

Amherst Cutlery Peanut in Burnt Stag, Spyderco Kopa in Black Quince Wood
4556642042_f2f8c477f4_b.jpg

Dowell Trapper in Natural Micarta, Spyderco Caly 3 in G-10
4701972854_2c4fcdd850_b.jpg

For about 10 years I only carried smaller traditionals, and was really happy with my small canoe from EYE, the same size as a CASE butterbean.

Went back into construction full time, and carry a combo daily. Usually a RAT 1, JYD II combo, a Tyrade, etc., and always a smaller traditional. I have a couple of medium to small stockman patterns (including a Dan Burke medium stockman) and a few others that are always on board.

On weekends, I feel a bit naked, but only carry one traditional folder. Usually a Barlow, soddie, or CASE jack. Even though I notice the lack of a bigger knife, I am never "underknifed" on the weekend with one of those in my pocket.

Robert

For about the last two years I have carried just a slipjoint. I am never a two knife guy unless it means a folder and a larger fixed or machete. In those cases there is a specific need.

My collection of knives is extremely diverse. That's because I love knives.

In the last 2 years I have carried one of my sebenzas for a week to Florida. This week in Florida I only brought my new GEC 42 in my pocket and a spyderco civilian and busse ASHLE in my back pack.

The 42 gets the pocket time and the daily use. The other two just get ignored in my bag.

I have started keeping a spyderco atlantic salt (H1) in my camelback for mountain biking. The GEC rides in my pocket. I bring the serrated rustproof spyderco as an emergency/safety knife.

That's about it for me. I don't see myself switching back to my moderns anytime soon. That's not to say I don't like them.

Kevin

I always have a traditional on me (usually a slippie, but sometimes my Buck 55 lockback). Beyond that, my "modern" complement will be a Victorinox Rambler or Leatherman Micra on the keychain .......... or sometimes my Leatherman Wave on my belt. I sold off all my modern plastic, one-hander knives.

-- Mark

I almost always have a slipjoint in one pocket and either a locking traditional or a locking,modern, one-hander in the other posket along with a Leatherman Juice in a belt pouch. It changes up frequently.

Last edited:
I always carry one of these:
63760dbf.jpg

from more urban to more wild enviroment.
When doing some activity with a some sort of risk (actually not risk but an hypothetical need of doing emergency cuts) like sailing, mountain biking, skiing, etc. Usually I have one of these clipped in my right front pocket:
a75f5f4a.jpg

sometimes instead of the spy's I'd carry a leatherman charge TTi.
Oh, and the Paramilitary 2 is my living room companion :) 'cos is great to play with the compression lock.
regards,
Mateo

For about the last two years I have carried just a slipjoint. I am never a two knife guy unless it means a folder and a larger fixed or machete. In those cases there is a specific need.

My collection of knives is extremely diverse. That's because I love knives.

In the last 2 years I have carried one of my sebenzas for a week to Florida. This week in Florida I only brought my new GEC 42 in my pocket and a spyderco civilian and busse ASHLE in my back pack.

The 42 gets the pocket time and the daily use. The other two just get ignored in my bag.

I have started keeping a spyderco atlantic salt (H1) in my camelback for mountain biking. The GEC rides in my pocket. I bring the serrated rustproof spyderco as an emergency/safety knife.

That's about it for me. I don't see myself switching back to my moderns anytime soon. That's not to say I don't like them.

Kevin

This is more or less how I go about things. I only own 1 modern folder and I take it with me when I expect things might get extra dirty like camping and such, even then it's used as a backup. On a day to day basis I carry only a single knife and an Opinel #9 in my pack. I don't like carrying many things in my pockets so 2 knives has never worked for me.

I only carry traditionals now, mostly a CV peanut. I do use a Spyderco Stretch in the kitchen though, and when i go hiking/camping i usually take my Izula to compliment the vic farmer that lives in my backpack.

some older pics for the thread

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

IMG_7384.jpg

Last edited:
Back at the place for a moment had a chance to snap a cell pic of my three along for the trip.

SU1HLTIwMTIwODA2LTAwMjI4LmpwZw.jpg

Pulled out of my pocket and taken right on the hotel room table. I always pair a traditional with a OHO.

2012-08-06161130.jpg

Nice combos guys especially Simple Man's! I have too many not to carry them all and yes I like them! I'm carrying this combo through this week....
003-14.jpg

My favorites and I carry them every other week.

Based on the very strict Traditional forum rules I'll only post my slippie but I also carry a CRK small Insingo. It has no clip and slides into my pocket like a traditional. It also has a similar blade shape as my favorite slip-joint:

DSC_0868.jpg

The only time I carry two knives is when I bring the balisong to flip, otherwise it's a swayback jack in the right front pocket

Sounds like only a few us work the traditional/modern combo with a big traditional and small modern.

My modern is a leatherman Micra which rides in my LFP with my money clip.

In my RFP I carry a traditional which is almost always a locker with a 3" blade +/- a bit.

This shot isn't current or complete but will give an idea. The 110 isn't pocket carried but the rest are.

Folders by Pinnah, on Flickr

I should mention that all of my lockers are one hand open one hand close. Not as fast as a flipper but very doable.

Also a sak or slippy and a oho folder. My sebenza has been gaining a lot of pocket time but I also always have a sak, multi ect on me.

It seems a lot of us like the sebbie. It is such a sweet knife.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Back