Traditional and Modern pairings

Couple of Bucks on a day off.
Al3lTNy.jpg

I wanted to post this on the daily carry thread, but the couple of Spyderco won’t allowed it.
Very nice mushroom gathering outing with friends and kids
Two baskets filled with “Níscalos”(lactarius deliciosus)
4 Opinels
- n°8 carved
- n°7 two of them, one missing from the picture
- Gardener
Paramilitary 2 and Delica 4
Boker Barlow
Victorinox cadet(selected by my son 2 years ago as his knife, and carried yesterday for the first time as a grown up)
Joker carbono
And the best of the lot, my little girl’s knife, a real heirloom piece handed down by her older brother, the authentic Plastic Multitool

39-DECA6-B-7108-4-E53-BF6-A-441-D1-FAB43-BD.jpg

as a side note a mini review:
For this kind of job where you carry a basket and usually a stick, a well maintained Opinel is perfect because you can open it one handed and don’t have to worry about dirt. A close second both Spyderco, better the para2 thanks to the open construction, easier to clean. The slip joints are no problem either but came up last for the two handed operation(no problem on daily life but carrying stuff on your hands and my little girl on a backpack chair on my back is more annoying) and the grit and dirt getting into the joint.
Last on the steel. As always been the case in my experience, when you put a knife through “hard use” hitting things you shouldn’t(like metal, ceramic plates or dirt and grit from the soil in this case) every steel dulls to the point where I would sharpen it, so the real advantage is more often than not ease of sharpening not wear resistance, opinel carbon and Boker came back instantly with a few passes on the stone with the stainless a close second(opinel ss a couple more passes and vic a little more finicky to clean the apex) Vg-10 on third and S30V last with almost 3 times the Number of passes needed, although if you lack experience with Vg-10 sometimes it could be easier to clean up the apex on harder S30V equalising time spent in spite of the difference in grindability.
Edited Forgot to add:
The sharpening was done on dmt coarse and fallkniven DC4
Cheers guys

Last edited:
Thanks Rachel. I need to work on getting a nice white handled knife. Yours always make me want one. :p
They are out there.
This one is mother of pearl, but I am incapable of catching the subtle colors in photographs.

Back