Traditional and Modern pairings

oiOvqYn.jpg

Nice photo, John. I accidentally put my new Bugout through the wash the other day, and now the action is very gritty. I took it apart, cleaned it and oiled it, but it didn’t help. I think some of the coating might have come off of the lock bar. It might have to take a trip back to Benchmade.

I accidentally put my new Bugout through the wash the other day, and now the action is very gritty. I took it apart, cleaned it and oiled it, but it didn’t help. I think some of the coating might have come off of the lock bar.
That's a real bummer, Barrett.
The Bugout is my favorite fidget knife because of its smooth action. I hope you get it sorted out.

I accidentally put my new Bugout through the wash the other day, and now the action is very gritty. I took it apart, cleaned it and oiled it, but it didn’t help. I think some of the coating might have come off of the lock bar. It might have to take a trip back to Benchmade.

Since you've already had it apart Barrett, which I think voids Benchmade's warranty, take it apart again and give it a good going over and cleaning yourself. I wouldn't worry about the coating especially if it's a user. With the USPS, UPS, and FEDEX being what they are today, there's no chance of it getting lost in shipping.

Since you've already had it apart Barrett, which I think voids Benchmade's warranty, take it apart again and give it a good going over and cleaning yourself. I wouldn't worry about the coating especially if it's a user. With the USPS, UPS, and FEDEX being what they are today, there's no chance of it getting lost in shipping.

Thanks for the advice, ED. I was pretty thorough the first time, not sure how much more I could do. Benchmade was my go-to knife brand for years before I really got into traditional knives, and I’ve found them to be pretty flexible when it comes to warranty service. I think putting it through the washing machine probably voided the warranty, as well, technically speaking, but I have a feeling they’ll take care of it.

If I disengage the axis lock, the knife operates as smooth as butter. It’s only when the rounded tang is contacting the lock bar (like when you open it with the thumb stud) that it feels super gritty. You can even hear it. I don’t think I’ve ever had one with a coated axis lock/bar, and I’m guessing that’s the problem. (I can’t say that I actually ever looked at the lock bar where it contacts the tang on this knife before accidentally washing it, but it looks now like it had a coating that’s now partly worn off.)

Sorry, this might be too much non-traditional knife talk for the Porch (even in this thread). Here’s another traditional-and-modern-pairing photo that I took a few years ago, to stay on topic.

kxuFUQN.jpg

Back