Traditional Automatic/Switchblade??

Can Automatic/Switchblades be termed as Traditional folders?

• Yes

Votes: 46 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll weigh in here to say the following.
1. Switchblades/Automatic Knives are as traditional as any knife we discuss in this forum. If you need to be reminded what is considered, in general, to be traditional, there's a few posts that are stickied at the top of the forum page (this reminder is more for newer members then folks who post here all the time).
2. There's a dedicated sub-forum for automatics, https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/automatic-knife-switchblades.688/.
Since there is a dedicated sub-forum for automatics, threads that are started about automatic knives get moved there. We don't want to detract from an already established sub-forum.
3. If you want to use this thread to discuss traditional automatic knives, then I'm ok with that. If my partner in crime @knarfeng sees it differently, that might change. If we start seeing them pop up in other threads more than they do now, then there's a good chance that all subsequent posts will be moved.
Thanks!

Appreciate the reminder, we’d request to keep this thread here, and discuss it as any traditional knife, the poll can be kept or closed depending on members’ interest.
Many Thanks.

Here's a picture of one of the GEC made, Schrade named, lever autos. They were very limited runs, and you don't find them often. I have more info, and if I get some time I'll post on them.

2xuOUJ3.jpg

I like old autos, and consider them to definitely be "traditional". The most common in my area are the orange "Paratroop" models, with several manufacturers, and Presto and Schrade push buttons. The funny thing about these is they are usually in very good shape, or beat to heck and back. very little middle ground. The small "pen" knives often have celluloid scales, and that often means they's shot. I can find a couple a year totally rusted shut.

t5Tm04A.jpg

Even less well known than the GEC/Schrade autos, are these Queen/Schatt & Morgen's, of which I've seen less than a dozen. My understanding is they were some of the last knives out of the factory before they closed, with total production being around 2000 in various covers. I wish I'd bought a couple more. If you're back around New York/Pennsylvania I'd look around. I've heard most were delivered to local dealers back that way.

TGBMwyL.jpg

Here's a picture of one of the GEC made, Schrade named, lever autos. They were very limited runs, and you don't find them often. I have more info, and if I get some time I'll post on them.

2xuOUJ3.jpg

I like old autos, and consider them to definitely be "traditional". The most common in my area are the orange "Paratroop" models, with several manufacturers, and Presto and Schrade push buttons. The funny thing about these is they are usually in very good shape, or beat to heck and back. very little middle ground. The small "pen" knives often have celluloid scales, and that often means they's shot. I can find a couple a year totally rusted shut.

t5Tm04A.jpg

Even less well known than the GEC/Schrade autos, are these Queen/Schatt & Morgen's, of which I've seen less than a dozen. My understanding is they were some of the last knives out of the factory before they closed, with total production being around 2000 in various covers. I wish I'd bought a couple more. If you're back around New York/Pennsylvania I'd look around. I've heard most were delivered to local dealers back that way.

TGBMwyL.jpg

We don’t get to see such fine knives’ pics, very nice, impressive history behind ‘em all.

Last edited:
My grandmother always had a Hammer brand switch blade knife in the front pocket of her apron. She called it her "apron knife". It was shaped like a medium toothpick with red glitter celluloid handle. My uncle still has it in his collection.

some of these are really old some are pretty new but all are traditional patterns. of course I've always been a big fan of the George Schrade designs, especially the Flylock! Left to right, Schrade Cut Co. Double ender a button on each side for each blade, celluloid or French pearl handles. a pressbutton knife co. -I think Schrades earliest design.,a german Hubertus guardian leverlock,with folding guard, a Due Buoi lever lock .a "Schrade" branded also signed fire and ice Taylor brands. and the 1920's Flylock on the right.

Last edited:

some of these are really old some are pretty new but all are traditional patterns. of course I've always been a big fan of the George Schrade designs, especially the Flylock!

Those’re some very nice knives, I think the smallest in set looks like a paratroop/parachute knife in mother-of pearl?, i might be mistaken tho
Thanks!

Last edited:
Top one is a boker that I bought 2 of while in the gulf in 95 (the one I gave to dad he either traded or gave away haha). Middle is a mop Hubertus and the bottom is a schrade
Crappy photo of the tang stamping image.jpgimage.jpgschrade is a heavy built, sturdy knife

Last edited:
Are all these traditional auto's locking models? Can an auto of this kind function with a regular slipjoint spring?

I don't know of any traditional, or old pattern if you prefer, autos that don't lock. There may be some, but since the design holds the blade under tension when closed it makes sense to use those same detents and locks to hold the blade when the mechanism is open. The springs are slightly different, but they are "flat" like most slipjoint mainsprings. Bill DeShivs is on this board and can probably answer this better than anyone I know. He's "the guy" for automatics.

Here's a picture of one of the .22 caliber gun/switchblades mentioned in one of the previous posts. This one is in the NRA Museum in Langley.

ywh7kRa.jpg

The square "blade" is actually the barrel (and I believe chamber) for the .22 cartridge. The "spring" sticking out the back is the trigger. I wish I could have a little time alone with this, as I'm not at all sure how it's put together.

I doubt many exist...

Here are some twin bladed Schrade button penknifes. The top one has a small chip out of the scale, but I doubt it's ever been sharpened. The bottom one has started to out-gas the celluloid scales, and they are pretty dull as a result. The springs on these are amazingly good.

4ZCgKlx.jpg

ToTO8hN.jpg

The orange Paratroop knives seem to pop up around Ft Lewis fairly regularly. I expect this is due to the fact that there have been Soldiers jumping out of airplanes here for decades. (Suggest looking around Ft Campbell and Ft Bragg if you're back east.)

These are a couple decades apart in manufacture, the Schrade has faded considerably (plastics have improved) but has higher grade materials than the Logan/Smyth. The later company I've never seen make any other type of knife, so I expect they were strictly gov't contract. I find it interesting that they were out of FL, which I've never perceived as a large knife manufacturing State.

ezKoM2z.jpg

That being said, I actually prefer the main blade shape on the Logan to the Schrade. The line cutter on the Schrade is better, but the nail nick leaves something to be desired.

SP1ZkRk.jpg

Notice that the holes drilled for the line cutter on the Schrade are off compared to the markings cast into the scales...

As promised earlier, here's some more info on the GEC manufactured Schrade lever release knives.

oUtqg4M.jpg

You don't find these often, and I've been offered a couple for sale that were badly "used". Still, they do pop up, and it's been 6 years since GEC made a run. I doubt they'll ever do it again, but my fantasy is to have one as the "Forum" knife one day.

3wo4QmU.jpg

Most of my modest collection:

1hCmsG2.jpg

eisman - regarding the Paratroop knives & Ft. Campbell: You'll probably have better luck around Ft. Benning (Home of the Airborne school) and Ft. Bragg (Home of the 82nd Airborne). While Ft. Campbell is home of the 101st Airborne(Air Assault) most of the units there are Air Assault vs. Airborne. While stationed there from '95 to '99 I only ever recall seeing one of those knives at a pawn shop.

Here's a picture of one of the .22 caliber gun/switchblades mentioned in one of the previous posts. This one is in the NRA Museum in Langley.

ywh7kRa.jpg

The square "blade" is actually the barrel (and I believe chamber) for the .22 cartridge. The "spring" sticking out the back is the trigger. I wish I could have a little time alone with this, as I'm not at all sure how it's put together.

I doubt many exist...

Here are some twin bladed Schrade button penknifes. The top one has a small chip out of the scale, but I doubt it's ever been sharpened. The bottom one has started to out-gas the celluloid scales, and they are pretty dull as a result. The springs on these are amazingly good.

4ZCgKlx.jpg

ToTO8hN.jpg

The orange Paratroop knives seem to pop up around Ft Lewis fairly regularly. I expect this is due to the fact that there have been Soldiers jumping out of airplanes here for decades. (Suggest looking around Ft Campbell and Ft Bragg if you're back east.)

These are a couple decades apart in manufacture, the Schrade has faded considerably (plastics have improved) but has higher grade materials than the Logan/Smyth. The later company I've never seen make any other type of knife, so I expect they were strictly gov't contract. I find it interesting that they were out of FL, which I've never perceived as a large knife manufacturing State.

ezKoM2z.jpg

That being said, I actually prefer the main blade shape on the Logan to the Schrade. The line cutter on the Schrade is better, but the nail nick leaves something to be desired.

SP1ZkRk.jpg

Notice that the holes drilled for the line cutter on the Schrade are off compared to the markings cast into the scales...

The smaller of these two is the same size as the above Paratroop models, but I think it's a superior knife all the way around.

Wir1skH.jpg

As promised earlier, here's some more info on the GEC manufactured Schrade lever release knives.

oUtqg4M.jpg

You don't find these often, and I've been offered a couple for sale that were badly "used". Still, they do pop up, and it's been 6 years since GEC made a run. I doubt they'll ever do it again, but my fantasy is to have one as the "Forum" knife one day.

3wo4QmU.jpg

Most of my modest collection:

1hCmsG2.jpg

Schrade Cut Co 1543 3/4
xxD8L7d.jpg

Here's a vintage Press Button I picked up from Tom at last year's rendezvous
keoCQE.jpg

T09iCo.jpg

Nice :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.