Traditional Carry Systems / Methods

How do you carry your traditionals?
Latley, there's been some discussion in other threads where a unique method of carry is shown. I used to simply carry one knife, but BF has opened my eyes that there's opportunity to carry a few if so desired.

Sheaths, right front pocket, neck, boot, watch pocket, back pocket, lanyard to belt, lanyard to slip, are some that come to mind. I've several patterns now in my collection and notice that some will not get carried if I don't have a comfortable "carry system" for them.

The full-sized trapper is a case in point (notice how I got the opportunity for two puns in that statement :)). Anyway, I recently learned here about a great back pocket carry method. Simply modify the pocket by sewing a seam down the middle, a little toward the outside.

Back Pocket by D P, on Flickr

The knife is held vertically, doesn't hamper sitting and is easily retrieved via a lanyard (a mod I did and will do on other trappers I pick up). I've since sewn three pairs of pants like this and will likely carry other large knives more often now.

So how about you?
Is there a unique carry method you can share with us? What type of pants do you buy now that you're a knife-nut? And how many knives do you typically carry?

GEC #14 in the watch pocket...

A Wright's Lambsfoot in a slip in the front left pocket...

Case large trapper in the back pocket riding next to my wallet...

The watch pocket knife could be a Case swayback or peanut on any given day
The back pocket knife could be a GEC #71 Bullnose or a Schrade 8OT any day.

Last edited:
How do you carry your traditionals?
Latley, there's been some discussion in other threads where a unique method of carry is shown. I used to simply carry one knife, but BF has opened my eyes that there's opportunity to carry a few if so desired.

Sheaths, right front pocket, neck, boot, watch pocket, back pocket, lanyard to belt, lanyard to slip, are some that come to mind. I've several patterns now in my collection and notice that some will not get carried if I don't have a comfortable "carry system" for them.

The full-sized trapper is a case in point (notice how I got the opportunity for two puns in that statement :)). Anyway, I recently learned here about a great back pocket carry method. Simply modify the pocket by sewing a seam down the middle, a little toward the outside.

Back Pocket by D P, on Flickr

The knife is held vertically, doesn't hamper sitting and is easily retrieved via a lanyard (a mod I did and will do on other trappers I pick up). I've since sewn three pairs of pants like this and will likely carry other large knives more often now.

So how about you?
Is there a unique carry method you can share with us? What type of pants do you buy now that you're a knife-nut? And how many knives do you typically carry?
Sewing pockets or installing lanyards is too much trouble for me! ;)

I always carry a knife in my left front pocket. Always loose, except for my Spanish navaja. I use a leather pouch from A. G. Russell for that one. Right pocket is for keys and coins. (I might occasionally carry a small knife in addition in my watch pocket, but not often.) And I often carry a trapper on a belt sheath in addition.

GEC #14 in the watch pocket...

A Wright's Lambsfoot in a slip in the front left pocket...

Case large trapper in the back pocket riding next to my wallet...
Nice John, looks like you carry three.
Next to the wallet is a good one. I have a front pocket wallet, a neat curved design to match the shape of the interior of the front pocket. I would try that back pocket method if my wallet rode in the rear.

Sewing pockets or installing lanyards is too much trouble for me! ;)
Haha... Yeah, probably not for everyone, but I'm glad I did it. My wife's sewing machine makes it easy.

I'll carry 'em anywhere from 3.25-4.25" closed, but my sweet spot is 3.5-3.75".

That said, I usually carry in a KSF slip, upright in my back right pocket, next to my wallet. Works the best for my purposes and has tilted my pursuits back towards the world of traditionals :)

I like the idea of a split back pocket. :cool: Never considered that but with a lanyard that would work well. Thing is - I mostly hate attaching lanyards to knives - except a boat knife. AND - I will no longer carry a knife loose in a front or back pocket. This pocket mod could be an exception.

SO - for me, TRADITIONALS (read - no pocket clip) goes in my front watch pocket (the one pocket exception) or a belt sheath. I'm starting to acquire a collection of nice sheaths. They used to each be dedicated to a specific knife but that got expensive so now, whatever fits the sheath and my knife carry mood. My preference, since you asked. :)

Ray

I carry my primary cutter in my right front pocket and another knife or multi tool in my watch pocket. I like both knives to lay horizontally so I buy jeans that have watch pockets big enough to accommodate that. (Wrangler Riggs)

I like that split back pocket idea too. Looks very handy.

If I put a traditional knife in my pocket, it's very rare........usually they go in a pouch, and have collected a fair few o' those over time.

Having a folder in a front pocket is too likely to do me a mischief, or have a fight with the cellphone or bunch of keys, and in the back pocket, I'd end up setting it into a curve if it didn't punch a tear thro' the Levis first.

Currently carrying a fairly chunky lockback and it goes into a new horizontal pouch...

IMG_0998_1.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

My synthetic covered scout knives are attached to a lanyard, and sit in my back pocket next to my wallet.

I've always been afraid of sitting on natural handle materials, so my bone and wood covered traditionals mostly get suspended into my front pocket by one of my knife slips, usually this one. It also has sentimental value, as I made it many years ago for my father-in-law. When he passed away, it came back to me, and I try to use it every day.

5cddXmph.jpg

exdhPYrh.jpg

Another slip:

T9GbbHCh.jpg

Larger knives get a variety of pouches and slips:

NhnKyAnh.jpg

0Z41bDqh.jpg

tyjzClFh.jpg

s95PvClh.jpg

d0ALtON.jpg
WjKJLLq.jpg

I'm bit of an odd duck,I carry most often in my right front pocket. Even big 5 inch daddy barlows and folding hunters.However the brand of work pants I get have enormous watch pockets lol. So I carry most of mine there while wearing those. On the day the above pics were taken, I was only technically carrying the Buck and Case. The other 2 normally ride in my tool bag. I EDC a fixed blade on my belt, if I'm going to be somewhere the fixed will draw unwanted attention, I'll switch to a sheathed LB7 or 110. Lately I've been carrying an GEC 44 in a belt sheath between my fixed blade and phone case.

I carry what is shown below in my right front pocket everyday, except the SAK Rambler which goes in my watch pocket. The knife of choice might vary but that's the base setup. I do have a Chambriard Compact that I carry in a pocket sheath but all others go in naked. I can carry a 4"+ Stockman or Trapper but they're admittedly more noticeable in jeans with tighter pockets.

Tried various open-topped sheaths for the bigger guys but didn't warm up to it. Still experimenting with horizontal ones.

IMG_20190606_092049447_zpsvvyrhce7_edit_1559838311879_zps4bbev8wl.jpg

I love belt sheaths and they're definitely my favorite way to carry. I switch between Buck 112's and 110's, although the 112 has been winning out and is pretty much my go to. Since the warmer weather has been here, I've been going with a Case trapper in an open top sheath or a Benchmade Proper clip point in a Case horizontal sheath. Depending on what's on the belt is how I choose what goes in the pocket. I rotate between the Proper, a GEC 99, a Buck 501 and a Buck 303. GEC's get a lot more pocket time in the winter.

Loose in right front pocket. Keychain knife is on my keys in the left front pocket. If I am wearing jeans and the knife is small enough, then in the coin/watch pocket of the jeans instead of the right front.

Quite often I will carry a smaller knife in addition to the knife I've chosen for the week.
The secondary knife could go in a watch pocket or in my left front pocket as I am a lefty, but that depends on a few things.
Is the main knife getting belt carried or otherwise, and what am I wearing.
Is it winter when I've always got watch shirt and jacket pockets , or summer where I've got some shorts with no watch pockets and even crappy shallow main pockets.
In addition to knives these are always on me and may have a play in how I carry a knife.

The watch shirt and jacket pockets are important.
In the winter the watch pocket is usually just my flashlight with room left for a little knife, but that little knife could instead be my key fold in the summer when there's no shirt or jacket pockets.

Today I went with this knife + light belt sheath because the pocket situation on these particular shorts isn't very good.
( I'm carrying just the one knife this week till my new additions get here )

I've pretty much got sheaths of some sort for whatever.

So the short of it would be that it depends on the knives, my other items, and what I'm wearing whether or not a main folder gets carried in a sheath and whether a secondary knife I might be carrying gets left front or watch pocket carried .

Last edited:
Back