1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Traditional Carry Systems / Methods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pinemoon, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Usually a small folder, like a Pemberton or #25 Barlow in the left front with my silicone cased iPhone. A “larger” folder like a Possum Skinner or Buffalo Jack in my right front with nothing else. If I should carry two folders in one pocket I will use a leather slip
    “Big” knives like the GEC #97s go in a belt sheath.

Pinemoon likes this.
  2. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Looks good :thumbsup:. I've found knives are so much more comfortable when they ride vertically.

And @Misplaced Hillbilly , you are certainly not under-knifed :). No one can accuse you of that :thumbsup:

3. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Naked, right front pocket if the knife is small enough. Nothing else in the pocket. Bulkier knives in a belt pouch. Can't find who posted it, but great idea about using a pocket slip when wearing house pants. That's the one time I worry about my knife falling out of my pocket. Thanks for the tip.

Pinemoon likes this.
  4. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    So many cool ideas to learn from here! For me: Vic Minichamp on a lanyard hooked to a Bianchi key keeper and dangling in my RF pocket; tribal lock or mini trapper in an open top belt sheath; one of various slipjoints in a Case suede slip in my right cargo pocket with IDs and cash; if carrying another SAK then in a Zermatt belt pouch with sharpening steel; if a 110 or 112 then in a Buck belt sheath; etc. I found 5-packs of the (now discontinued) Case suede slips with Velcro closure in both small and medium sizes. They are great for pocket carry of anything from a tiny trapper to a seahorse whittler.

Pinemoon likes this.
  5. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    I just added a cheap version of a bead to assist in retrieving my trapper from the rear pocket. I have real decorative beads for my nicer knives, but can't always justify the expense for every knife. My solution was to visit the local hardware store (I love hardware :)). I bought three 1/4-20 nuts. Two grade 8 and one stainless. Cost me 70¢.

[​IMG]Nut Bead by D P, on Flickr

ccsavage, CelloDan and JohnDF like this.
  6. cjtamu

Nov 6, 2018
    Big thanks for this post. Bought my wife a beautiful MOP Tiny Trapper for Christmas. Perfect to use with her spinning wheel (yeah, you read that right) when she's going to classes etc. Been putting it in a little drawstring jewelry bag but of course it doesn't want to stay closed so she hasn't carried it much. Just found and ordered a 5 pack of the Small Case suede pouches.

Pinemoon likes this.
  7. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Mostly, I carry my knives in either my right front pocket or left front pocket but there are times when I carry in a sheath or pouch.

Two Boker 4 1/8" trappers
    [​IMG]

Dressed in their Boker sheaths.
    [​IMG]

ccsavage, mitch13, Pinemoon and 4 others like this.
  8. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    I carry my Proper in one of those too. I use that sheath for a bunch of stuff, but it fits that knife great :thumbsup:

Dfunk1210 likes this.
  9. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    Those sheaths are classy :cool:

Modoc ED likes this.
  10. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Helping folks carry their traditional is just what I do. Well I make a few too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes guys run over em with their lawnmowers.

[​IMG]

Getting carried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes they go to faraway places:

[​IMG]

Sometimes closer to home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How ya wanna carry yours?

11. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    Gorgeous examples there @Horsewright
    You're doing it well :thumbsup::cool:

Getting older likes this.
  12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thank you sir!

CasePeanut and Pinemoon like this.
  13. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    The @Horsewright knives and leatherwork impress the hell out of me every time I see it. I don’t have much need for a fixed blade but I’m gonna get me one of his someday just to have an excuse to carry it around in such a badass sheath.

14. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I really want to try one of those buckaroo pouches at some point. Looks like a great way to carry a Trapper.

Ace Rimmer and Pinemoon like this.
  15. cjtamu

Nov 6, 2018
    Another +1 for @Horsewright. Beautiful leather work. I love that one for the folders with the wings on either side. And I just happen to have a folder that's too bulky to ride in my pocket. Hmmm.

Pinemoon likes this.
  16. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks

Yeah they really work great. Only way I cary a folder anymore. One of those deals that works so good I wish it were my idea. Its not they've been around for a long time.

I call that one a Leatherman sheath cause I first strated making it for different multi tools. Same pattern works great on a folder too, particularly the larger ones. Thanks.

Pinemoon likes this.
  17. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Hey y’all. I’m looking for a better carry system for my primary edc knife. I carry an old Camillus made trapper. I currently just throw it into my front right pocket or watch pocket if I’m wearing jeans.

The issue is it can, and occasionally has fallen out. I had a very close call over the weekend when my knife slipped out of my pocket and into a friend’s couch at a party. (Thankfully, someone found it and left it on the table. I had no idea I was missing it at the time)

I’d hate to accidentally lose my main knife. How do y’all carry your full size trappers and other traditional knives? Is a belt sheath the way to go?

18. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    On a big knife, a belt sheath works.

When I used to wear athletic shorts/pants, I had a Chris reeve leather slip (any would work really) with a big rubber band strip glued to the back. The rubber gave it enough grab to keep it from sliding out even when legs was elevated.

19. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I really like a traditional in a pocket slip in my jeans back pocket.

20. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I just don't get it. How does a pocket knife fall out of the front pocket of blue jeans?? Dockers and dress pants I can see but Jeans??