Traditional Carry Systems / Methods

Usually a small folder, like a Pemberton or #25 Barlow in the left front with my silicone cased iPhone. A “larger” folder like a Possum Skinner or Buffalo Jack in my right front with nothing else. If I should carry two folders in one pocket I will use a leather slip
“Big” knives like the GEC #97s go in a belt sheath.

Naked, right front pocket if the knife is small enough. Nothing else in the pocket. Bulkier knives in a belt pouch. Can't find who posted it, but great idea about using a pocket slip when wearing house pants. That's the one time I worry about my knife falling out of my pocket. Thanks for the tip.

So many cool ideas to learn from here! For me: Vic Minichamp on a lanyard hooked to a Bianchi key keeper and dangling in my RF pocket; tribal lock or mini trapper in an open top belt sheath; one of various slipjoints in a Case suede slip in my right cargo pocket with IDs and cash; if carrying another SAK then in a Zermatt belt pouch with sharpening steel; if a 110 or 112 then in a Buck belt sheath; etc. I found 5-packs of the (now discontinued) Case suede slips with Velcro closure in both small and medium sizes. They are great for pocket carry of anything from a tiny trapper to a seahorse whittler.

I just added a cheap version of a bead to assist in retrieving my trapper from the rear pocket. I have real decorative beads for my nicer knives, but can't always justify the expense for every knife. My solution was to visit the local hardware store (I love hardware :)). I bought three 1/4-20 nuts. Two grade 8 and one stainless. Cost me 70¢.

Nut Bead by D P, on Flickr

I found 5-packs of the (now discontinued) Case suede slips with Velcro closure in both small and medium sizes. They are great for pocket carry of anything from a tiny trapper to a seahorse whittler.

Big thanks for this post. Bought my wife a beautiful MOP Tiny Trapper for Christmas. Perfect to use with her spinning wheel (yeah, you read that right) when she's going to classes etc. Been putting it in a little drawstring jewelry bag but of course it doesn't want to stay closed so she hasn't carried it much. Just found and ordered a 5 pack of the Small Case suede pouches.

Mostly, I carry my knives in either my right front pocket or left front pocket but there are times when I carry in a sheath or pouch.

Two Boker 4 1/8" trappers
2oRYV19.jpg

Dressed in their Boker sheaths.
PhiqaYk.jpg

Helping folks carry their traditional is just what I do. Well I make a few too:

hK5z5wa.jpg

EZR7iBc.jpg

a20Z3yK.jpg

pJSJldm.jpg

Sometimes guys run over em with their lawnmowers.

EUFGwJh.jpg

Getting carried:

Ue8hAcK.jpg

NuTeIrK.jpg

mwG20Y7.jpg

c7jDPMI.jpg

ybs4Xg4.jpg

KzndRDd.jpg

3ZfHngW.jpg

Sometimes they go to faraway places:

1AVLdk4.jpg

Sometimes closer to home:

ZykjA6c.jpg

QXjJlSi.jpg

PPQCKXR.jpg

wXyUTYz.jpg

D2wmfnt.jpg

ZlsyAiB.jpg

VZSrDjS.jpg

How ya wanna carry yours?

Another +1 for Horsewright Horsewright . Beautiful leather work. I love that one for the folders with the wings on either side. And I just happen to have a folder that's too bulky to ride in my pocket. Hmmm.

The Horsewright Horsewright knives and leatherwork impress the hell out of me every time I see it. I don’t have much need for a fixed blade but I’m gonna get me one of his someday just to have an excuse to carry it around in such a badass sheath.

Thanks

I really want to try one of those buckaroo pouches at some point. Looks like a great way to carry a Trapper.

Yeah they really work great. Only way I cary a folder anymore. One of those deals that works so good I wish it were my idea. Its not they've been around for a long time.

Another +1 for Horsewright Horsewright . Beautiful leather work. I love that one for the folders with the wings on either side. And I just happen to have a folder that's too bulky to ride in my pocket. Hmmm.

I call that one a Leatherman sheath cause I first strated making it for different multi tools. Same pattern works great on a folder too, particularly the larger ones. Thanks.

Hey y’all. I’m looking for a better carry system for my primary edc knife. I carry an old Camillus made trapper. I currently just throw it into my front right pocket or watch pocket if I’m wearing jeans.

The issue is it can, and occasionally has fallen out. I had a very close call over the weekend when my knife slipped out of my pocket and into a friend’s couch at a party. (Thankfully, someone found it and left it on the table. I had no idea I was missing it at the time)

I’d hate to accidentally lose my main knife. How do y’all carry your full size trappers and other traditional knives? Is a belt sheath the way to go?

On a big knife, a belt sheath works.

When I used to wear athletic shorts/pants, I had a Chris reeve leather slip (any would work really) with a big rubber band strip glued to the back. The rubber gave it enough grab to keep it from sliding out even when legs was elevated.

I just don't get it. How does a pocket knife fall out of the front pocket of blue jeans?? Dockers and dress pants I can see but Jeans??

Back