1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Traditional Carry Systems / Methods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pinemoon, Jun 6, 2019.

1. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
  2. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I always carry mine in a leather pocket slip . Stops it from flipping around in your pocket and keeps out most of the dust bunny’s and protects it .
    Here’s a couple of the many Hitch&Timber slips I own .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I like those slips, @TheFactor! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    I REALLY like that Case canoe with the quad-threaded bolsters!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Pinemoon likes this.
  4. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Thank you kindly Sir :) @5K Qs
    That canoe is one of my favorites when I saw those bolsters I had to have it :thumbsup:

5. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, as suggested, some solutions to your trapper problem here, first page
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-carry-systems-methods.1665889/

6. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I've used slips some, but I'm worried that over time theyll rub the finish weird on my customs. I know the leather is soft and tbe steel hard but it still worries me.

7. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    I’ve hadn’t any issues but if anything you’ll get a little buffing like marks but easily clean up with some flitz . When I didn’t use them I would get fine scratch like marks that were harder to get out .
    But what bugged me the most without a slip was the knife flipping around in my pocket lol that’s just me though .
    I really like how if I forget and throw something else the same pocket it won’t scratch up the knife . As mentioned it really keeps it a lot cleaner to not nearly as much pocket lint and dust .

Pinemoon likes this.
  8. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    im in scrubs on a monday-friday basis so knives go in a leather slip that comes with a clip. ive had smaller knives like a 14 slip out of the jeans pocket before but I luckily caught it. was in a taxi and might have lost it.

TheFactor likes this.
  9. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    I’ve lost two knives early on when put in my watch pocket before I started using slips .
    Lesson learned !

10. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011

I do the same thing but I run the seam up from the bottom and only go about 2.5" or 3" up from the bottom. This allows the knife to ride entirely concealed and more importantly, keeps the top end available above the seam so it is easy to grab WITHOUT the need of a lanyard.

I carry my Buck 110, Opinel 9 or 10 and similar sized traditionals in this way.

Pinemoon likes this.
  11. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I carry a pocket full (or thee).

Usually I put one large slipjoint in my right front pocket, and two (a larger and smaller) in my left front pocket. The two in slip sheaths.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fodderwing and Pinemoon like this.
  12. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    That's an interesting variation on the split pocket. Got a picture?

13. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @Horsewright
    Always a pleasure to see your work Dave. And as always, beautifully photographed.

Pinemoon likes this.
  14. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thank you sir!

15. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I look forward to trying some of those out with my trapper

Pinemoon likes this.
  16. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Being a lover of leather I like carrying slips and belt pouches.

Usually like to have a slipjoint in a slip in one of my pockets with a belt sheath on my right hip. Have a few knives that share a slip. Only knife that has a dedicated slip is my Case/Bose trapper. Beard and Owl makes some nice stuff. Matches the bone too
    66FF3F57-87C3-4E80-B4B8-066FE16EBF94.jpeg
    Carry all of my Schrades and GEC 66 in this horween slip from Endustry Leather amazing quality even waterproofed for only $18
    84375752-7957-4CF9-8EA2-AACD41AF6F73.jpeg D2AF74EF-3655-41B0-AF39-22F9E5DB6E26.jpeg
    If I’m carrying my Colt I like have it on my RH side and a 153uh on my left if carrying vertically in its original sheath(matches my holster and the Schrade sheaths are surprisingly good quality) or if I’m carrying horizontal I use a Buffalo leather one and it goes on the front of my belt. Love a nice leather belt always wearing this beautiful Jackson Leather Work belt.
    CC69FE26-11BB-46A9-A18E-33A345FF0B4F.jpeg 5C219FFC-FCA2-48FD-9C91-6D82D285297F.jpeg
    1A7ECFC8-34D0-45E7-8608-A1EE5EA0E525.jpeg
    Recently acquired was this Max Capdebarthes sheath which I had been looking at and been recommended by a couple memebers : @Peregrin & @RayseM . Finally got a knife to put in it. Sadly even tho I got the one that fits a 5.1” closed knife it won’t fit my LB7 which I got for it to also use. Snap won’t go over the bloster far enough. That’s ok I have a nice old Diefenthal 409 coming to share the sheath. Like the options on carry for it ride high or low vertical or you could horizontal carry it.
    2108099B-5506-462E-8759-AFCFE242CF1B.jpeg 8032BEED-DE3C-449A-89F8-1E4B65008E26.jpeg
    Folding hunters I like a belt sheath for my 110 I use the USA Buck one which I think is very nice and I don’t remember where I got the one with the LB7. Thinking of getting the hitch and timber Buck belt for it sense the Max Capdebarthes didn’t fit it. The LB7 deserves a very nice home with a flap too!
    AE383B07-A3E8-40A9-8DA2-8C1FBB8B4383.jpeg E597AE80-BF62-4B22-A641-8BD67B8E0F75.jpeg

Ace Rimmer, JB in LV, 315 and 6 others like this.
  17. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I've been carrying my new Waynorth Lambfoot in a leather GEC slip: it fits like a glove, yet is easy to draw out.

[​IMG]

18. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    After reading this bought some small slips for Kim to carry her fancy Mini Trapper. Decided to get the other sizes for me to try, and found I really like it. My GEC 66 is in one in my pocket right now. Going to look for some nicer slips, but these will do for now. That’s some beautiful leather @sXePhenomenal .

sXePhenomenal, Pinemoon and JohnDF like this.
  19. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I recently discovered a new place to carry my SAK or any other knife that will fit in the Clip Slip.
    IMG_4865.JPG

20. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Erased my non-traditional post.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019