Traditional Carry Systems / Methods

I always carry mine in a leather pocket slip . Stops it from flipping around in your pocket and keeps out most of the dust bunny’s and protects it .
Here’s a couple of the many Hitch&Timber slips I own .
JBVlnGQ.jpg

Z8c8Jfe.jpg

Thank you kindly Sir :) 5K Qs 5K Qs
That canoe is one of my favorites when I saw those bolsters I had to have it :thumbsup:

Hey y’all. I’m looking for a better carry system for my primary edc knife. I carry an old Camillus made trapper. I currently just throw it into my front right pocket or watch pocket if I’m wearing jeans.

The issue is it can, and occasionally has fallen out. I had a very close call over the weekend when my knife slipped out of my pocket and into a friend’s couch at a party. (Thankfully, someone found it and left it on the table. I had no idea I was missing it at the time)

I’d hate to accidentally lose my main knife. How do y’all carry your full size trappers and other traditional knives? Is a belt sheath the way to go?
Yes, as suggested, some solutions to your trapper problem here, first page
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-carry-systems-methods.1665889/

I always carry mine in a leather pocket slip . Stops it from flipping around in your pocket and keeps out most of the dust bunny’s and protects it .
Here’s a couple of the many Hitch&Timber slips I own .
JBVlnGQ.jpg

Z8c8Jfe.jpg

I've used slips some, but I'm worried that over time theyll rub the finish weird on my customs. I know the leather is soft and tbe steel hard but it still worries me.

I've used slips some, but I'm worried that over time theyll rub the finish weird on my customs. I know the leather is soft and tbe steel hard but it still worries me.
I’ve hadn’t any issues but if anything you’ll get a little buffing like marks but easily clean up with some flitz . When I didn’t use them I would get fine scratch like marks that were harder to get out .
But what bugged me the most without a slip was the knife flipping around in my pocket lol that’s just me though .
I really like how if I forget and throw something else the same pocket it won’t scratch up the knife . As mentioned it really keeps it a lot cleaner to not nearly as much pocket lint and dust .

im in scrubs on a monday-friday basis so knives go in a leather slip that comes with a clip. ive had smaller knives like a 14 slip out of the jeans pocket before but I luckily caught it. was in a taxi and might have lost it.

im in scrubs on a monday-friday basis so knives go in a leather slip that comes with a clip. ive had smaller knives like a 14 slip out of the jeans pocket before but I luckily caught it. was in a taxi and might have lost it.
I’ve lost two knives early on when put in my watch pocket before I started using slips .
Lesson learned !

How do you carry your traditionals?
Latley, there's been some discussion in other threads where a unique method of carry is shown. I used to simply carry one knife, but BF has opened my eyes that there's opportunity to carry a few if so desired.

Sheaths, right front pocket, neck, boot, watch pocket, back pocket, lanyard to belt, lanyard to slip, are some that come to mind. I've several patterns now in my collection and notice that some will not get carried if I don't have a comfortable "carry system" for them.

The full-sized trapper is a case in point (notice how I got the opportunity for two puns in that statement :)). Anyway, I recently learned here about a great back pocket carry method. Simply modify the pocket by sewing a seam down the middle, a little toward the outside.

Back Pocket by D P, on Flickr

The knife is held vertically, doesn't hamper sitting and is easily retrieved via a lanyard (a mod I did and will do on other trappers I pick up). I've since sewn three pairs of pants like this and will likely carry other large knives more often now.

So how about you?
Is there a unique carry method you can share with us? What type of pants do you buy now that you're a knife-nut? And how many knives do you typically carry?

I do the same thing but I run the seam up from the bottom and only go about 2.5" or 3" up from the bottom. This allows the knife to ride entirely concealed and more importantly, keeps the top end available above the seam so it is easy to grab WITHOUT the need of a lanyard.

I carry my Buck 110, Opinel 9 or 10 and similar sized traditionals in this way.

I carry a pocket full (or thee).

Usually I put one large slipjoint in my right front pocket, and two (a larger and smaller) in my left front pocket. The two in slip sheaths.

bSZ2Bm5.jpg

SRGwMTy.jpg

7Lj4AKK.jpg

jFlfouO.jpg

I do the same thing but I run the seam up from the bottom and only go about 2.5" or 3" up from the bottom. This allows the knife to ride entirely concealed and more importantly, keeps the top end available above the seam so it is easy to grab WITHOUT the need of a lanyard.

I carry my Buck 110, Opinel 9 or 10 and similar sized traditionals in this way.
That's an interesting variation on the split pocket. Got a picture?

Being a lover of leather I like carrying slips and belt pouches.

Usually like to have a slipjoint in a slip in one of my pockets with a belt sheath on my right hip. Have a few knives that share a slip. Only knife that has a dedicated slip is my Case/Bose trapper. Beard and Owl makes some nice stuff. Matches the bone too
66FF3F57-87C3-4E80-B4B8-066FE16EBF94.jpeg
Carry all of my Schrades and GEC 66 in this horween slip from Endustry Leather amazing quality even waterproofed for only $18
84375752-7957-4CF9-8EA2-AACD41AF6F73.jpeg D2AF74EF-3655-41B0-AF39-22F9E5DB6E26.jpeg
If I’m carrying my Colt I like have it on my RH side and a 153uh on my left if carrying vertically in its original sheath(matches my holster and the Schrade sheaths are surprisingly good quality) or if I’m carrying horizontal I use a Buffalo leather one and it goes on the front of my belt. Love a nice leather belt always wearing this beautiful Jackson Leather Work belt.
CC69FE26-11BB-46A9-A18E-33A345FF0B4F.jpeg 5C219FFC-FCA2-48FD-9C91-6D82D285297F.jpeg
1A7ECFC8-34D0-45E7-8608-A1EE5EA0E525.jpeg
Recently acquired was this Max Capdebarthes sheath which I had been looking at and been recommended by a couple memebers : @Peregrin & @RayseM . Finally got a knife to put in it. Sadly even tho I got the one that fits a 5.1” closed knife it won’t fit my LB7 which I got for it to also use. Snap won’t go over the bloster far enough. That’s ok I have a nice old Diefenthal 409 coming to share the sheath. Like the options on carry for it ride high or low vertical or you could horizontal carry it.
2108099B-5506-462E-8759-AFCFE242CF1B.jpeg 8032BEED-DE3C-449A-89F8-1E4B65008E26.jpeg
Folding hunters I like a belt sheath for my 110 I use the USA Buck one which I think is very nice and I don’t remember where I got the one with the LB7. Thinking of getting the hitch and timber Buck belt for it sense the Max Capdebarthes didn’t fit it. The LB7 deserves a very nice home with a flap too!
AE383B07-A3E8-40A9-8DA2-8C1FBB8B4383.jpeg E597AE80-BF62-4B22-A641-8BD67B8E0F75.jpeg

After reading this bought some small slips for Kim to carry her fancy Mini Trapper. Decided to get the other sizes for me to try, and found I really like it. My GEC 66 is in one in my pocket right now. Going to look for some nicer slips, but these will do for now. That’s some beautiful leather sXePhenomenal sXePhenomenal .

Back