Traditional Carry Systems / Methods

I carry an edc set - lighter, flashlight and pocket knife in a single slip in the back left mag pouch pocket of my 5.11 defender flex pants

with my wallet in the right side pocket its been a game changer as I still have the tradititonal pockets for all my other stuff and the pockets are places so I don't end up sitting on anything.

Right front pocket

B2CReZ9.jpg

TSZqII1.jpg

Give a bump to this thread as I'm not sure as to a more appropriate one. I was giving some thought to an open top sheath for my Bullbuster, and thinking of making one. Well today at Tractor Supply I seen these sheaths for pliers and I thought with some modifications it might work. I cut the opening down and wet molded it to the knife. I used an antler point to crease the leather around the knife. I left the belt loop long to make drawing and sheathing easier wearing an untucked tshirt.

Who makes a nice slip with a pocket clip? I end up not carrying my traditionals as often as I'd like because I hate the feeling of stuff laying loose in my pocket but the watch pocket has too much tendency let stuff fall out.

Who makes a nice slip with a pocket clip? I end up not carrying my traditionals as often as I'd like because I hate the feeling of stuff laying loose in my pocket but the watch pocket has too much tendency let stuff fall out.

dp steel and leather.

Funny you ask - THIS JUST IN TODAY !!!!

The finest leather sheath I have ever owned.

Super affordable and so well made by a very enthusiastic, dedicated and skillful Etsy maker. I was lucky to find her. Not a relative. :) She has quite a few designs and will build to fit your knife model - even my custom.

PM or EMAIL HERE - if you want more info as she is YET to be a service provider here on BF, so I cannot provide a link.

Gary Graley, Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley , is a great sheath maker too and a BF service provider. Usually builds open tops, wet molded sheaths for folders (though I think most often for belt carry rather than with pocket clips). Worth an ask. They are excellent - without qualifiers.

Here is the CEDAR GROVE LEATHER one:

Last edited:

The Rough Rider Dog Bone Jack comes with a pretty decent clipped sheath that at least smells like real leather. A medium stockman or a Sodbuster Jr. is a nice fit. The knife also comes with a dog whistle. Still available for under ten bucks.

8B6A9001-D110-413A-A7CB-CD3537AC9687.jpeg

dp steel and leather.
Of all the ones I've looked at so far I actually like this one the best. Too bad they're not shipping outside Europe because of covid apparently.

Funny you ask - THIS JUST IN TODAY !!!!

The finest leather sheath I have ever owned.

Super affordable and so well made by a very enthusiastic, dedicated and skillful Etsy maker. I was lucky to find her. Not a relative. :) She has quite a few designs and will build to fit your knife model - even my custom.

PM or EMAIL HERE - if you want more info as she is YET to be a service provider here on BF, so I cannot provide a link.

Gary Graley, Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley , is a great sheath maker too and a BF service provider. Usually builds open tops, wet molded sheaths for folders (though I think most often for belt carry rather than with pocket clips). Worth an ask. They are excellent - without qualifiers.

Here is the CEDAR GROVE LEATHER one:

View attachment 1360230

View attachment 1360232

View attachment 1360233
I was actually looking at the Cedar Grove pocket clip one the other day. If yours is as nice as you say I'll have to keep consideration on them.

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley do you make slips with pocket clips?

The Rough Rider Dog Bone Jack comes with a pretty decent clipped sheath that at least smells like real leather. A medium stockman or a Sodbuster Jr. is a nice fit. The knife also comes with a dog whistle. Still available for under ten bucks.

View attachment 1360267
Glad you told me about this because I'd also like to get a second cheaper slip to use at work so I don't get my good one all dirty and soiled with BS and then put it in my good pants on the weekend. If I can get a knife with it too as a bonus, great!

Appreciate the mention but I do not use clips on any of my sheaths
G2

My Lone Wolf rides in a Wm Henry Clip pouch from back in the day. The other slipjoints ride in the bottom of my pocket.
I do believe my Buck 301 will fit in the sheath for the 501.

Thought I should add these pictures to this thread.
Safety pin method for pocket carry. Pin off a portion of your pocket to create an internal slip so your knife rides vertically. This has become my go-to method and it's habit now to attach the pin every day. It allows bigger knives to be carried comfortably. Knife shown outside of the pocket for illustration purposes. ;)

Thought I should add these pictures to this thread.
Safety pin method for pocket carry. Pin off a portion of your pocket to create an internal slip so your knife rides vertically. This has become my go-to method and it's habit now to attach the pin every day. It allows bigger knives to be carried comfortably. Knife shown outside of the pocket for illustration purposes. ;)

Such a good idea!

Back