Traditional French Fry day

a little newcomer at the end of the morning.
A mixed laguiole

517.jpg

Blade by Davide Steri, chiselled fly, smooth spring, full handle in burr ash, assembly by Pierre-Yves Joyeux
lsj_210.jpg

lsj_510.jpg
Wow! That is one fine looking Laguiole!

Sigh!!:rolleyes: I was having eye surgery when you posted that beauty, Â !!
Now I can see it even better!!:thumbsup::D
Hi Charlie, I hope you are better know . So I did good in making a dark picture, it must be better for your eyes :D

I wish you a fast recovery :):thumbsup:

Â

You guys are killing me! Just when I think I have all the knife types I could want, you post one like this (and the earlier giraffe bone), and now I must have a Cognet! I'm looking at Louro Faia (Lacewood) and/or Frene Onde (Wavy Ash).

There are ALWAYS more beautiful knives created by very skilled and artistic makers. Oh my - if we could only... - but we can't :confused: - thus the dilemma and the angst :) Good luck with that :thumbsup:

Gee, I forgot it's Friday. I received these from Gérard Destannes on Wednesday. I will say he is a delight to work with. I told him what I was looking for, and he sent me pictures of what he had on hand that I could choose from. Gérard has just completed two in Pistachio, and I have chosen mine. As soon as he finishes a couple in Bruyere, I will make my choice, and he will ship those two together.
The fit and finish on these knives is superb. I already had eleven Aurillac knives from four other knife makers, and the only one that comes close to the look, feel, and quality of these two is my Fontenille Pataud. Gérard's knives do not have any filework, but the price reflects that, and for me, any decoration is unnecessary on this style of knife. I heartily recommend G.Destannes to anyone looking for a really nice example of an Aurillac knife.

EifoJqW.jpg

Sorry. Duplicated and there doesn't seem to be a way to delete a post here.

Last edited:
Gee, I forgot it's Friday. I received these from Gérard Destannes on Wednesday. I will say he is a delight to work with. I told him what I was looking for, and he sent me pictures of what he had on hand that I could choose from. Gérard has just completed two in Pistachio, and I have chosen mine. As soon as he finishes a couple in Bruyere, I will make my choice, and he will ship those two together.
The fit and finish on these knives is superb. I already had eleven Aurillac knives from four other knife makers, and the only one that comes close to the look, feel, and quality of these two is my Fontenille Pataud. Gérard's knives do not have any filework, but the price reflects that, and for me, any decoration is unnecessary on this style of knife. I heartily recommend G.Destannes to anyone looking for a really nice example of an Aurillac knife.

EifoJqW.jpg
The Destannes family is the only "legitimate" maker of Aurillac, they bought the shop from Vigier, first maker of this pattern, in Aurillac, at the turn of the XXth century . I guess parts are now made in Thiers and assembled. I still wonder why the pattern changed...

Aurillac-Marsupilami.jpg

EifoJqW.jpg
Two beautiful knives, Fred!!:thumbsup:

The Destannes family is the only "legitimate" maker of Aurillac, they bought the shop from Vigier, first maker of this pattern, in Aurillac, at the turn of the XXth century . I guess parts are now made in Thiers and assembled. I still wonder why the pattern changed...

View attachment 1463331
I never get tired of seeing your old time Aurillac, JP!!
Even though it is a relic, it teases one with its authenticity!!:cool:

Thank you for that information. As a novice, I appreciate the history you provide. I had no idea that the current "look" is not the original.

Thank you for that information. As a novice, I appreciate the history you provide. I had no idea that the current "look" is not the original.
According to C. Lemasson, the Aurillac knife was built and sold in Aurillac since the XVIIIth century under two shapes, the rounded, as today, without bolsters (but with rosettes), a peasant's knife and the flat with three bolsters, aimed at the wealthy bourgeois. Various Thiers makers started making the patterns around 1890, then concentrated on the round shape after WWI, eventually adding the bolster.

Back