Traditional French Fry day

Jolipapa Jolipapa interesting JP wonder if Viet Water Buffalo is tougher material too? I believe they could be aggressive but not as much as the Spanish Toro :eek::)

Jolipapa Jolipapa interesting JP wonder if Viet Water Buffalo is tougher material too? I believe they could be aggressive but not as much as the Spanish Toro :eek::)
I'll keep my opinion about corridas and bulls to myself! Horns are not used for handles.
Seems these times buffalo horn come rather from India. Blonde horn is more expensive because rarer and quality has lessened. Now comes from african zebu. IIRC it used to come from Brazil. https://www.mercorne.fr/fr/12-cornes-et-defenses
Common cow horn is used mainly for "caché" (heatened and pressed to shape) and gives a greyish look.

Blonde, Brunette both good in my book. The Effilé is an oddly pleasing knife though and comes in its own cool wooden box.
Here's the nice Oak Box it comes in (velvet pouch tucked inside!!)! You can see the white dot indicating a hidden streak of white horn, at the tip of the handle!!NO 10 effile 2.jpgNO 10 effile 3.jpg
Water Buffalo from Viet Nam or India!!??

Here's the nice Oak Box it comes in (velvet pouch tucked inside!!)! You can see the white dot indicating a hidden streak of white horn, at the tip of the handle!!View attachment 1683138View attachment 1683139
Water Buffalo from Viet Nam or India!!??

Either way I still would not have liked telling the Buffalo I need its horn…..they are attached to it!! 😄

I haven't been here for a while, but I've been accumulating a lot of knives. I don't know that these can be called 'Traditional', but I'm really pleased with them. From Hervé Theillol Le 20-16 in black palm and acacia burl.

ADMEUZi.jpg

iyKTbhh.jpg

83tnmWf.jpg

I haven't been here for a while, but I've been accumulating a lot of knives. I don't know that these can be called 'Traditional', but I'm really pleased with them. From Hervé Theillol Le 20-16 in black palm and acacia burl.

ADMEUZi.jpg

iyKTbhh.jpg

83tnmWf.jpg
The blade shape is very traditional and the whole knife is like another take of the Saint-Amans. Woods are less usual, I really like the black palm.

1936946343.jpg

Last edited:
The blade shape is very traditional and the whole knife is like another take of the Saint-Amans. Woods are less usual, I really like the black palm.

1936946343.jpg

Thank you. I see the similarity. Funny thing is, I bought a St.Jacques knife for my son (and one for myself), and thought that would be all. Then, of course, I simply had to look at the other offerings, and the profile of the open 20-16 knife reminded me of a toucan, which made me laugh a little. So, why not? I really liked the acacia burl, and I added the black palm as an afterthought. When they arrived, and I saw those "eyes" in the black palm, it became my favorite!

I suppose since I mentioned the St. Jacques knives, I should show them. Four years ago, my son hiked the Camino de Santiago through Spain. This past summer, he and his girlfriend hiked the Portuguese route. I was too late to give it to him before he left here, so became a commemorative gift.
His is juniper, mine is pistachio.

PpjbpnO.jpg

Pg7B0wY.jpg

S7Hq1nl.jpg

ADMEUZi.jpg

iyKTbhh.jpg

83tnmWf.jpg
Really interesting examples, I think the hidden tang Copperhead style is a great innovation .

Could you state the lengths please? Just when my lust & ardour for knives had cooled down this kind of cutlery aphrodisiac has to appear :D

Regards, Will

Really interesting examples, I think the hidden tang Copperhead style is a great innovation .

Could you state the lengths please? Just when my lust & ardour for knives had cooled down this kind of cutlery aphrodisiac has to appear :D

Regards, Will
They're actually more substantial than the dimensions would indicate - pretty hefty in the hand.
Overall - 205 mm (just over 8 inches)
Blade length - 105 mm (a little over 4 inches)
Handle width - 17.8 mm (about 11/16 inch)
Weight - 90 grams (just over 3 ounces)

Fred Z Fred Z Many thanks for the response. Yeah, that's hefty, maybe a bit too much for me. Great looking monsters though :cool: Ouais, trop gros pour moi....

ADMEUZi.jpg

iyKTbhh.jpg

83tnmWf.jpg

Really cool blade shape.

Back