Traditional French Fry day

Pictures are nice, but I really wish you all would identify the type, scale material, and coutelier when posting. I always do.
For example, I recognize the knife above as an Aurillac (I have 16 Aurillacs), but the wood is hard to identify as it has very little grain and no figuring. I have an Aurillac by Au Sabot in juniper that's like that - with one side quite plain. But now I have to ask.
Sorry for the minor gripe - love the thread! 🙂

Last edited:
Pictures are nice, but I really wish you all would identify the type, scale material, and coutelier when posting. I always do.
For example, I recognize the knife above as an Aurillac (I have 16 Aurillacs), but the wood is hard to identify as it has very little grain and no figuring. I have an Aurillac by Au Sabot in juniper that's like that - with one side quite plain. But now I have to ask.
Sorry for the minor gripe - love the thread! 🙂

Good idea. You are right up there, my Aurillac is by Au Sabot, the third pic with the name did not upload, and it is Juniper with the pepper smell. I do not know a lot of the pattern names, but this one I knew was Aurillac. I also guess coutelier is French for knife maker or cutler.

Sabot Roquefort in juniper.
xQFOpSs.jpg

Plain Jane "Laguiole en Aubrac" with briar wood scales.
I have two Laguiole knives - one plain Jane and one overly decorated (my first French knife. I know better now). I definitely prefer the plain olive wood handled Robert David knife.
I'm not fond of Laguioles in general... which is probably not a good thing to admit on this thread. :) They're just too slender top to bottom to suit my hand. Some are beautiful to look at, and I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but I won't be buying any more of them.

Fred Z Fred Z You should always tell it how it is, knife forum is about exchange of perceptions, ideas, not an exercise in group-think :D It's vital how a knife feels in the hand, for myself the Lag works really well indeed, the slimness yet often thick scale slabs suit my hand. I really can't find a better knife (yet....) for simple food prep, slicing cheese, hard sausage fruits etc .

Having said that, French cutlery is so rich in content it would be a shame to let the Lag hog the limelight due to its fame. I really like the L'armor you just got, do you know if there are other scale options? Ivory Bone would be something. I've got one of those Garonnais too, very sturdy knife with FEARSOME snap :eek::cool:

Regards, Will

Back