Traditional French Fry day

I really like the L'armor you just got, do you know if there are other scale options? Ivory Bone would be something.
I was only looking for wood types, but I have seen it available in horn (dark) and one blonde horn offering. Here's the link to Au Sabot which was fine for my purpose - decent quality at a good price, and shipping from France through Timeless Spirit was only 10,80 €. It's also available under the "London" name, so there may be more options if you search for that.

... and L'Armor in Palo Santo

5aeS85t.jpg

You could be interested to know that "Armor" is the Breton word for the English Channel and Atlantic coasts. It means "The sea". The interior part of the Breton country being named "Argoat", "The wooďs". It was, in Brittany, a popular pattern of english origin which was often called "English knife" or "Sailor knife", probably because it was an english sailor knife.
Very useful and beautiful pattern.

Dan.

I don't like much Laguioles, i know it sounds like a blasphemy, especially for a French , but this one is something i like. I always have preferred them without bolster and this one carries one of the most beautiful engraving of the back spring and of the fly i've seen. Beautiful wood as well. Congrats.

Edit: i know it's a bee there is on the spring, but "Fly" is the French cutlery word used for this part of the spring. It just happens that sometimes the fly is a bee.

Dan.

"Fly" is the French cutlery word used for this part of the spring. It just happens that sometimes the fly is a bee.
It is a bit more complicated.
A fly is a way to open a trouser or an insect. On a knife its is a "mouche" (no English translation because no equivalent), the original (#1800) were plain and used to unlock the blade. The lock became useless when the slipjoint was invented. The ornaments appeared at the very end of XIXth century (1880), could be everything except an insect. The bee, now quite a trademark, appeared only before WWI.

mouche-mongin-10cm-coutelleire-henry-nogent-1-1080x675.jpg

It is a bit more complicated.
A fly is a way to open a trouser or an insect. On a knife its is a "mouche" (no English translation because no equivalent), the original (#1800) were plain and used to unlock the blade. The lock became useless when the slipjoint was invented. The ornaments appeared at the very end of XIXth century (1880), could be everything except an insect. The bee, now quite a trademark, appeared only before WWI.

mouche-mongin-10cm-coutelleire-henry-nogent-1-1080x675.jpg
If i well understand, the word "mouche" has, in French, two meanings, like in English somehow, the insect and a part of a folding knife. Which makes it untranslatable in the cutlery vocabulary. I usually have to say "My English !", i have now to say as well "My French !".
Thanks for the correction JP, more important than to learn is to be corrected on what we believe wrongly to know.

Dan.

If i well understand, the word "mouche" has, in French, two meanings, like in English somehow, the insect and a part of a folding knife. Which makes it untranslatable in the cutlery vocabulary. I usually have to say "My English !", i have now to say as well "My French !".
Thanks for the correction JP, more important than to learn is to be corrected on what we believe wrongly to know.

Dan.
Dan, I hope you don't take the mouche because I did not intend to moucher you! 😀

I've read somewhere there might have been once a Mr Mouche who found the idea, like Mr Cardan, Mr Bich or Mr Diesel! And as in French when a family name gets into the everyday language, it looses it's Capital! 😉

ps at the beginning the mouche also referred to the lock of lockrings.

Dan, I hope you don't take the mouche because I did not intend to moucher you! 😀

I've read somewhere there might have been once a Mr Mouche who found the idea, like Mr Cardan, Mr Bich or Mr Diesel! And as in French when a family name gets into the everyday language, it looses it's Capital! 😉

ps at the beginning the mouche also referred to the lock of lockrings.
Taking the"mouche"! I had forgotten this one. Not at all JP, not at all. Mr Mouche ! There are people who complicate everything. As if French language wasn't difficult enough.

Dan.

Back