"Traditional" Handle Materials?

P_20180112_192817.jpg

One of my favorite knives, carefully chosen to extend my love of a deep patina into the handle... Osage orange wood, which also darkens beautifully over time. This knife shows every day of 2 years finding its way in my pocket on a weekly basis. When I have grandkids one of them will receive this one and even after I'm gone be able to view a remnant of the many days I was alive and cutting up apples for lunch.

The Queen thread has had enough discussion on this topic to warrant its own thread, methinks. What are your thoughts on modern materials such as g10, micarta, and stainless steels replacing the old high carbon steel and bone or wood covers? As always, pictures encouraged!

Reactions: 315
I like them all. Modern materials interest me and I think it's great that we are seeing some modern materials on traditional knives lately. I like the old stuff too and I would never want the new stuff to take its place. I'm very happy having both choices and I hope it stays that way.

I like them all. Modern materials interest me and I think it's great that we are seeing some modern materials on traditional knives lately. I like the old stuff too and I would never want the new stuff to take its place. I'm very happy having both choices and I hope it stays that way.

Me too. I do prefer old fashioned though.

I don't have anything against modern materials on traditional knives but is has to be done right.
I will add that I find myself ogling knives with old patina and worn bone handles more than shiny new customs.

While I prefer traditional materials on my knives, especially wood, I do think that there is a place for "modern" materials. I am especially in favor if the newer material, like acrylic or Deltrin instead of celluloid, adds a degree of durability and longevity to the knife. Another example is the use of alternate ivory or replacement shell to replace natural materials that harm animals.
How about a variety pack of cover materials for the encouraged picture??
D50EC6E9-FAED-4EF1-B961-548D7046EDB3_zpso7rwm2pm.jpg

I think the absolutely incredible biological processes and the level of structural as well as chemical complexity of natural materials really adds a lot to my enjoyment of them, and I do prefer natural materials over synthetic stuff almost all of the time. I like anything done well, though, especially anything that isn't the standard black FRN/G10 or bare metal (an exception being jigged metal, something I quite like). I got a Spyderco UKPK in the mail today with very nicely textured dark blue FRN that gives the knife good character (compared to the countless black FRN/G10/carbon fiber models on the market), but I'd probably still prefer some exotic hardwood.

I'd also make a distinction between modern vs traditional synthetics. G10 and FRN strike me as "modern," but I wouldn't say delrin or micarta do.

I'm an equal opportunity enthusiast when it comes to handle materials.
I enjoy them all, but the material has to "fit" the knife for me to like it.

Hard to explain and very subjective - but some materials just don't look "right" to me on some patterns.

An example of my oddness:
On traditional knives i tend to prefer wood or bone, however for some reason a Case sodbuster just "looks right" in yellow delrin to me, but when i see one with jigged bone or the like, it looks... odd.

Probably because that's what i grew up with.

Stag will always be my favorite covers material. That being said, micarta is a close second.

I think what you grew up with probably has a strong play in peoples choices today. Those that didn't grow up with knives in the pockets of their fathers may more inclined to steer away from tactical folders in favor of modern materials though, should manufacturers offer more of these? Is it materials or is it design that drives buyers toward tactical folders? Is it neither?

My first slipjoint got tossed in the trash when I was 19. It rusted... piece of crap right? It was an old schrade from their last year, 2004. My dad was a "surgical stainless steel" guy, I had no clue what carbon steel was, and neither did any of my coworkers, most of them didn't even carry a knife. I have kick myself every time I think about it.

Now I restore peoples late grandpa/uncles knives and educate them about the steel. The last knife I did was a handmade custom given to a fairly well known owner of an online gun website, they had done an article on it and everything, then 2 years later thought the knife was "ruined". Would getting carbon steels out into the market by using g10 for scales fix this? I think people just want maintenance free steel in most cases, and will pay hundreds to get it with good edge retention. Maybe the rest of us over here in traditionals are just weird.

I also like both traditional and modern materials; and I wouldn’t be want to see either go away. I like that acrylics provide unique colors and patterns that wood or bone doesn’t, but I like the grain, feel, and look of woods too. Carbon fiber and g10 are durable and can offer a variety of looks and textures too. What’s not to like?

That said, I appreciate guys having preferences for more traditional materials and configurations—I have become more interested in traditional knives after having cut my teeth as a kid and young adult of more modern stuff (unless SAKs count).

I like learning about things that have a rich and storied history, and traditional pocket knives have that over modern ones.

P_20180112_192817.jpg

One of my favorite knives, carefully chosen to extend my love of a deep patina into the handle... Osage orange wood, which also darkens beautifully over time. This knife shows every day of 2 years finding its way in my pocket on a weekly basis. When I have grandkids one of them will receive this one and even after I'm gone be able to view a remnant of the many days I was alive and cutting up apples for lunch.

The Queen thread has had enough discussion on this topic to warrant its own thread, methinks. What are your thoughts on modern materials such as g10, micarta, and stainless steels replacing the old high carbon steel and bone or wood covers? As always, pictures encouraged!

Some of the traditional bow makers would use old fence posts that were Osage orange after they had been up for many, many years. The color would age nicely and to think how durable a piece of wood still was after 40-50 years as a fence post.

On modern knives, both fixed and folding, G10 is my favorite handle material. I like its' durability and the feel of it in hand. But on a traditional knife, it just doesn't seem right to me. Neither does micarta. Stainless steels, delrin and celluloid have been around for a long time in traditionals, and I accept them as such. Acrylics have replaced celluloid in my mind and in my collection, as I don't want the heartache any longer of a knife "gassing out."
Stag, horn, bone and wood make up the core of my traditional handle materials. The unique, individual character of natural handle material is one of my main draws to traditional knives. Gnarly stag and horn, beautifully jigged bone and uniquely grained wood are what I like best about traditional knives, and that will never change.

I would post a pic like yours . . . slip joint side by side with a modern . . . but every time I have tried that in this Traditional's forum I find my self thrown out the back door into the alley along with my photo.
Mostly I'm not all thrilled with the new materials primarily because I feel there isn't enough "sculpting" done to the sculpted modern handles. I want 'em fairly narrow length wise and fat like this Trapper.
A satisfying shape for me in a modern is the Cold Steel Ti Light which I have modded to have a thin / useful spear point blade. However I can do without the holes that trap junk.

I love the look of the genuine stag some days and some days it freaks me out and I find it kind of repulsive. That never lasts long though.

I suppose a criticism of the old handles is it tends to be slick.
The textured modern stuff often is kind of a dirt collector.
A perfect handle material for me is Cold Steel's older KreyEx. Think Griptillian or rifle stock texture but fairly hard rubber. Again shame I can't post a pic.
I wonder if this thread should be over in the General Forum ?

IMG_3378.jpg

One of my favorite knives, carefully chosen to extend my love of a deep patina into the handle... Osage orange wood, which also darkens beautifully over time.

One wood for handles that has always fascinated me is box wood. Pretty rare to see these days period. Seems like just a couple days ago here on Knife Forums I saw a knife with what looked like burl box wood; if there even is such a thing.

I'm not sure I would consider stainless steel as a "modern" material. After all, stainless steel has been used to make production knife blades for over a century now.
I like both, but I think most of my knives have stainless steel blades, including the few vintage antique knives I have that date from circa 1914.
As for handle materials, I am not fond of celluloid (due to its tendency to outgas) but have no objections to acrylics, or Delrin/Stagalon. Plastics of one sort or another have been used since the late 1890's, so they are nothing new. Metal handles are also "old school", when you consider all the high end "Gentleman's Knives" with brass, sterling silver, pewter, and aluminum handles from the 1800's (or earlier). Not to mention all the "Demo Knives" and copies still made today with stainless steel handles. Recall that in the 1800's, aluminum was considered rare, and was used for jewelry. I understand it was considered more precious than gold for a while.
I do prefer natural materials like bone, wood, leather, and horn, though.
I've only had one knife with G-10, a "Walmart Exclusive" Buck 371 Stockman. Unfortunately, it was stolen by a truck poltergeist a couple years ago. :(

I like the natural handle materials mostly, wood, stag, bone, horn, I find the acrylic stuff to be a fun alternative, and I avoid celluloid like the plague, I do like the micarta on some knives, Buck used to do some nice micarta on their early 112's and on some other lockbacks, like the Duke and the 501...I went through a couple year phase where I was buying up used Buck 110's and 112's and stripping off the diamond wood covers and replacing them with exotic wood covers for fun, I would just hit them wood covers with some Danish Oil finish, nice stuff...the diamond wood covers were probably more durable, but I hated the fact they were just birch plywood with a resin impregnated into them... If your gonna use wood, use real wood like Ebony, rosewood, orange wood etc.

Funny this thread popped up, as I just dug out a GEC 531213 acrylic Christmas lights with a really nice big ole clip blade and a pen on the opposite side, single spring, kinda big fella of a knife...I had picked this one up for a song a couple years ago in the exchange, and had planned to strip the covers and re do it in shedua wood...now, looking at it with new eyes after its long nap, I'm going to just break it in and let whatever I use it for develope a patina on its blades...maybe I'll leave these bright multi colored covers intact and let whatever scratches and dings do what they will to it, I know I can toss my keys into the same pocket and not worry too much about that...if it were covered in beautiful wood, or horn, or ivory, that would not be such a wise thing to do...so as is I can beat the snot out of this knife and see what it brings to the table...enjoy it for what it was made for. It's just a knife, after all...

I prefer traditional handle materials such as bone, wood, delrin, cellidor, and metal.
Carbon steel is my favorite, but basic old school stainless steels work just fine even though they lack the beauty of patina.
I don't like the idea of modern handle materials such as carbon fiber or G-10, and don't want the modern harder to sharpen super steels.
They won't do anything better than what I've already got, so the extra cost is not justified even if I wanted them.

Years back, after receiving my great-grandfathers knife after he passed, I became enamored by the ability of a knife to tell the story of its owners life.
The bone worn smooth from years of carry, darkened and yellowed with the oils from a hardworking mans hands. The blades near black with patina, and sharpened away to resemble a toothpick. All these things allow me to connect with the memory of my grandfather, and every time I open those blades I can almost feel his presence.

The natural materials and simple carbon steel allow the knife to speak, and that's a major factor in my choosing them.
That's not to say that stainless steels and synthetic materials are mute, they're just not as articulate when its time to tell the story.

The nostalgia and storytelling aspect of this hobby is only one factor for me.
Though I might gravitate towards carbon steels and organic cover materials, I'm not averse to modern advancements and what they can bring to the table.
I'd love to see some of my favorite patterns made with quality stainless as an option; here's looking at you GEC ;)

Natural handle material kind of guy. Natural materials posses a warmth that synthetics can't match. Same with carrying these guys around, leather has soul, synthetic materials are just plastic.

Here's the pic. Last years batch of knives to ship just prior to Christmas. Nary a synthetic to be seen.

NHpoehI.jpg

Natural handle material kind of guy. Natural materials posses a warmth that synthetics can't match. Same with carrying these guys around, leather has soul, synthetic materials are just plastic.

Here's the pic. Last years batch of knives to ship just prior to Christmas. Nary a synthetic to be seen.

NHpoehI.jpg

I think it depends on what facet of the material you are looking at. Plastics cannot have the same tactile beauty as traditional materials, but they can possess a visual aesthetic that traditional materials don't have. I get that some people prefer the look as well as the feel of traditional materials, and that's fine. But acrylics, micartas, g10, and carbon fiber have unique visual qualities (whether or not it is one man's preference).

Back