Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Here is a photo I took today. Garands are pretty traditional? Right?
Very traditional! Although I've never fired one I would imagine it to be lots of fun.
Take care,
Rick
WkycA2o.jpg

I'm certainly no expert on stag, actually just ordered my second one from GEC, but I love the stag on your knife. I'm thinking there's not much around like that anymore.
Have a great Sunday!
Rick

Thank you for your kind words. When I ordered the knife from Dan, he commented that I lucked out because the stag he ended up using was exceptional. If I remember I'll put up a couple of his photos that capture the stag a little better tomorrow.

Reactions: HWF
I could live quite happily with this as my only centerfire rifle. The knife is a nice piece and quite capable, but I'd need a pocket knife to complete the kit.
That combo would work very nicely for anything I'm going to hunt. The straight tube Leupold is exactly as I would scope it also. Is it by chance the RSI version? With the mannlicher stock?
Take care,
Rick

Thank you for your kind words. When I ordered the knife from Dan, he commented that I lucked out because the stag he ended up using was exceptional. If I remember I'll put up a couple of his photos that capture the stag a little better tomorrow.
Here are some better photos he took before he sent me the knife.
5GO0dqe.jpg

SfqXATz.jpg

Keeping it on topic with a picture of my buck 503 and Henry 45-70 case hardened

jvX8KrF.jpg

A beautiful knife and huntin' combo you have there, 1 155440 .

I've always liked the .45-70. Very versatile.
Round balls with black powder for squirrels and rabbit, to any 4 legged critter on the planet, depending on your load. :)
(Yes, a guy took "The Big 7" of Africa a while back using a 47-70 Marlin 1895 Guide Gun with Garrett Cartridges ammunition. Details on Garrett's website.)

That is a stunning fixed blade hunting knife.
I appreciate the kind words. Dan sells his knives for reasonable prices here in the knife makers for sale area of this forum and he has a very good reputation. I have nothing but good things to say after working with him on two custom orders.

A beautiful knife and huntin' combo you have there, 1 155440 .

I've always liked the .45-70. Very versatile.
Round balls with black powder for squirrels and rabbit, to any 4 legged critter on the planet, depending on your load. :)
(Yes, a guy took "The Big 7" of Africa a while back using a 47-70 Marlin 1895 Guide Gun with Garrett Cartridges ammunition. Details on Garrett's website.)

That was the reason I decided on 45-70. Something that would be effective within 50 yards on anything I could think of, and make a decent emergency gun in bear country when I go camping (Primary line of offense is Bear Spray).

That was the reason I decided on 45-70. Something that would be effective within 50 yards on anything I could think of, and make a decent emergency gun in bear country when I go camping (Primary line of offense is Bear Spray).

Oh, I think you'd be surprised how well that lever gun can do out past 50 yards:)

On the northern side of our ranch is an area we call the "big country". Lions tigers and bears, oh my, back there. Even seen coyotes the size of German Shepherds in the big country. There are no roads and the only way of getting there besides a helicopter is horseback. When we go back there to check fence, I often take a rifle, mostly my Guide Gun in .45-70.

gM8OStv.jpg

And of course a knife, always a knife, as does the wife too:

TvYO2Ji.jpg

JflMq17.jpg

Sidearm? Heck yeah.

E2ou7Pw.jpg

The big country:

bo79Xsb.jpg

The main hazard to our fencing and us back there are lots and lots of pigs. Plus some of the fences are over an hundred years old, mere suggestions really, the wire is old and brittle, tough to fix.

On trips like this we'll often try out new products such as the wife's idea for a Beltess Sheath. Simple concept but it took eight prototypes to get er down right.

rfzI56N.jpg

TV0fD9x.jpg

Working on a hole there in the fence. Canela the cowdog is supervising, making sure I got it right:

0ujbSyl.jpg

When down and working like that you are very vulnerable. Its handy to have good help to have your back with that big ol .45-70.

zrcF6hh.jpg

Nah, not really, she was just holding it while I adjusted my saddle after a steep climb, but the other........ makes a better story.

Lions tigers and bears, oh my!

Does get your ponies tired going back there though:

PLuc0lM.jpg

Last edited:
Back