Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Oops, I see I posted in the wrong thread:eek:

Broke from the 78 today and carried my Churchill:thumbsup: Sunset off yellow bone.
BF7cK1.jpg

JHqhPG.jpg

Last edited:
On the northern side of our ranch is an area we call the "big country". Lions tigers and bears, oh my, back there. Even seen coyotes the size of German Shepherds in the big country. There are no roads and the only way of getting there besides a helicopter is horseback. When we go back there to check fence, I often take a rifle, mostly my Guide Gun in .45-70.

gM8OStv.jpg

And of course a knife, always a knife, as does the wife too:

TvYO2Ji.jpg

JflMq17.jpg

Sidearm? Heck yeah.

E2ou7Pw.jpg

The big country:

bo79Xsb.jpg

The main hazard to our fencing and us back there are lots and lots of pigs. Plus some of the fences are over an hundred years old, mere suggestions really, the wire is old and brittle, tough to fix.

On trips like this we'll often try out new products such as the wife's idea for a Beltess Sheath. Simple concept but it took eight prototypes to get er down right.

rfzI56N.jpg

TV0fD9x.jpg

Working on a hole there in the fence. Canela the cowdog is supervising, making sure I got it right:

0ujbSyl.jpg

When down and working like that you are very vulnerable. Its handy to have good help to have your back with that big ol .45-70.

zrcF6hh.jpg

Nah, not really, she was just holding it while I adjusted my saddle after a steep climb, but the other........ makes a better story.

Lions tigers and bears, oh my!

Does get your ponies tired going back there though:

PLuc0lM.jpg

Dave, you're living right...

I have a "soft spot" for both the Number One and model 77 in the RSI configuration. When they first came available I knew I wanted the Number One in 7 x 57 but none were to be found. I finally settled for a .270, and although it was a good rifle I never quite warmed up to it as I think I would have the 7 x 57.
That is a beautiful rifle, and also as already mentioned a beautiful knife. I have not had the opportunity to see or handle one of the Henry rifles like yours although I did win a Henry 22 lever a couple years ago and it is a nice rifle fit/finish wise. I'm sure the level of "pride of ownership" on both pieces is very high!
Take care everyone,
Rick

Horsewright Horsewright Dave, those are some fine photos of the work you have to do everyday to maintain your ground and your stock. Good on you and your wife, sir. Her idea for the Beltless Sheath is genius!!
- Stuart

D Duckdog : Stuart, I’m up for adoption. I have a harley you can ride, I love to mow lawn and shovel snow, I can tie some great fishing knots, I drink all types of beer, and I never cheat at cards.

Here’s a shot I took a couple of years back while out grouse hunting. Browning Silver Hunter in 20ga, Bret Dowell Trapper and an LT Wright Hunter Pro Elite.

6054DAC4-FF22-4134-8235-78D820FE8484.jpeg

It’s a lot of work hunting birds without a dog. Lots of walking and you have to be strategic about it. Ok most times it’s luck, but when you’re stalking in the thick brush, it takes the reflexes of a superhuman to kill a grouse. Another reason to adopt me...I got two that day.

1BA2CBEC-363B-44A2-8C35-A153507774F2.jpeg

Nice work Jake, I hunted quail and pheasant for about 35 years before I ever hunted over a dog. It is tough work, but that was about 75 pounds and 25 years ago.

Jsega51 Jsega51 That's a tempting proposition, Jake. You have a scintillating Silver Hunter (I like a gun that shoots yellow shells) and clearly can use it. You appreciate and use some fine knives. My son can (and does) out fish and out hunt me, so that's getting tiring. But he does carry my birds (or me, if it was ever required), brings me lots of venison, and has an '09 Pontiac G8 with a rebuilt LSA putting 720 hp to the rear wheels. Plus he's about paid me back for some "advances", so I'll stay with what I've got. Still want to see your pics and stories, though.

The pics below are from a South Dakota pheasant hunt this October. I used the same gear for bunnies last week, but swapped the 12 ga. Beretta DL-4 for a 20 ga. Beretta AL-2 (not shown).

J4AREhY.jpg

RFbWM7D.jpg

- Stuart

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the consideration Stuart lol. Here’s some more yellow shells. The yellow box of .38 SPL came with my grandfather’s 37 no dash Airweight when my dad passed it down to me. It’s the most accurate revolver I’ve ever shot.

Nice job on the birds, I need to get a couple of nice O/U’s.

C4FB8B99-ACD2-4317-A7AB-F81701C8C8B6.jpeg A4C5A5FE-FED4-47CC-A065-B2E2A1004C20.jpeg

Back