Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

MWvqKVX.jpg

Well, thanks for the consideration Stuart lol. Here’s some more yellow shells. The yellow box of .38 SPL came with my grandfather’s 37 no dash Airweight when my dad passed it down to me. It’s the most accurate revolver I’ve ever shot.

Nice job on the birds, I need to get a couple of nice O/U’s.

View attachment 836166 View attachment 836167
I'm sure that you treasure that 37, Jake; it's pretty special. (I gave my grandfather's J.C. Higgins hunting coat to my son, but the .410 Western Arms sxs that he left me was lost in a fire at the shop of a stock builder where I had left it for rehab. Yep, no insurance.) The Bose and Dowell are very nice, as were the prior two. Great choices. And I must say. belatedly, congrats on getting some nice birds without a dog - that's work, son!
- Stuart

willard0341 willard0341 Can’t beat the old Smith’s and that White Owl’s stag is looking nice and pocket worn. I love the color the scales are taking on.

Here’s a Hunter by Mastersmith Larry Fuegen with a nickel silver guard and butt cap. Hard to capture the blade’s hamon in pictures.

My go to load for my T/C Triumph is a 250 gr. Barnes T-EZ pushed by 74 gr. by weight (roughly 103 gr by volume) of Blackhorn 209 and a CCI magnum primer.
D77AF201-2F09-4B1E-90C8-D8D4F0A956EF.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 836749
Thank you, I have eyeballed new S&W’s but I can not get past the hole in the frame above the cylinder release. I was at academy yesterday looking at a hammer shrouded airweight and of course it had the hole, I just need to get passed it. Thanks for the kind words and have a good weekend.
Older model 38. My grandfathers cross draw holster. (Not his pistol)

I know what you mean. my last 2 S&W revolvers were produced in 1954 and 1974. I have trouble with that lock as well. Fortunately S&W produced a lot of revolvers prior to the hole. I guess I need to add a photo. This is my 14-3 in .38spl. with the 2017 Forum knife.
SoZykJE.jpg

Nice pistols, guys, and some fine Stagurday knives. Jake, I like your economic use of the speedloaders. I do the same to save space and make life in a treestand a little easier.

I believe I am correct that S&W makes some revolvers without the safety lock. You don’t usually see them in stores, but anyone with an FFL permit could probably special order one for you.

View attachment 836749
Thank you, I have eyeballed new S&W’s but I can not get past the hole in the frame above the cylinder release. I was at academy yesterday looking at a hammer shrouded airweight and of course it had the hole, I just need to get passed it. Thanks for the kind words and have a good weekend.
Older model 38. My grandfathers cross draw holster. (Not his pistol)

Great revolvers showing today, thanks willard and easyrider !!!

I don't buy Smiths with holes in the frame. :eek:o_O
But I did pick up this 442 NOS without the lock at a show last summer so there are still some out there. BTW fantastic kit gun and cross draw holster !!!

WDqZNDH.jpg

Great photos guys. I'm loving the old revolvers, especially those smiths and colts. Loving the fixed blades as well.

My latest BP pistol - a Pieta-made replica of the Colt Paterson Revolver, the first commercial revolver. Accompanying it is my early 1950s Kabar Rigging knife, one of my EDCs. I've carried the rigger nearly every day since I got it for $6 at a San Diego pawn shop way back in 1982. I have very seldom used the blade for cutting. That task goes to my other EDCs. The rigger is carried specifically for the spike. Many people have never seen one and when I use it to loosen knots, they are amazed by it.

This Paterson will be part of my Texian Navy Officer uniform I'm getting together for presentations on the history of Texas Navy.

Some history of the Paterson. One of the myths about the Paterson is that it was first used in Texas by the Texas Rangers.

The first ones bought by the Republic of Texas were destined for the Texian Navy, who bought 180 of them in 1839, along with a like number of Colt's revolving carbines and shotguns. When the Texian Navy was disbanded in 1843 by Sam Houston, the Rangers absconded with the surplus weapons, packing a pair of Patersons each.

The US Army didn't adopt the Paterson, claiming it was fragile and prone to malfunctions.

After General Zachary Taylor fought in Texas during the Mexican-American War, he sent Captain Samuel Walker, of the Texas Rangers (but serving with the US Mounted Rifles) back east to work with Colt to implement improvements in the revolvers, leading to the development of the Walker Colt, widely used in the US Army for decades.

PK2LC4fLQZ_28H8NzGj6mqLd2bjHFd7P1vGH5DCez1aZes2yjSQa_cIwIAer5eCYW1a101y5eW4UsFuJAAqG_tL8LwM4yEbgoLpv-A9gjRQahGoWHMtA1wOuWn9RyZwgJKG0WNtat3hNLzCb5LKr_T_aElPycicFkl9dLr-bslk5g6y-zdssBgtNr1rDVH2ZMU40Qjvskj_DvWMSaKvb9tIFrLeR9IX8aRbjmhTjY6x5BSCBuytoUbFYuDmQ60QMQ409O8OifYLCGJxzO1Y452WvBAUQcuHC_Bkhx0uTLWFzowRmgNuE1anjd1v96k_dQfIucxb54EKkURe-YfjdRH13ty03K8oXQ8229hEghVVK80Hf1GZAfq8XnfxoGaFahDthTfNFk1sW0y-Z6cv8xB0-bNZkjGpKJJX45_5dQ0iEz_75a4eO1RnPUof-RRFbWZVchseINRV5EywrLUxqXorb2f27x9Bs3sRQSMSfqyHi5p0LAko8N93KhvSEBchHdetgbNLr0Cgl5Wbe97525zpCSX9WzF8JhUMcgsmQsE6gWsHmDib6DdXDt7aDYVDppbStGRXIAncDdKtBaAFx3pVmKV1eSnu5BAnMukg=w1023-h767-no

The difference between the 1836 - 1838 and the 1839 - 1848 Patersons was that the first batch had to be disassembled to reload. When they were rejected by the US Army, that was one of the objections.

What impressed General Taylor was the Texan tactic of carrying spare LOADED AND CAPPED cylinders for rapid reload during battle. Not exactly a practice that would pass OSHA today.

ETA - fixed the dates

Last edited:
Back