Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

1952 Ballard rifled (pre microgroove) Marlin 39a

Bought this gun 3 years ago. Came in garbage bags. Took me 3 years to find/buy/make missing parts. Slightly different internals to newer 39a’s

Once I had it working, I dropped it off atba local gunsmith that specializes in Case Hardening. This guy is a pro. Took 6 months but was worth every minute and penny. Interesting process. Parts are heated to 1800f in a crucible filled with charcoal and bone to give it the colors you see. Once the stuff is cooked to the right temp, the whole crucible is dumped into cold, well oxygenated water. The results are breathtaking

The schmootz you see on the surface is Frog Lube. I put a heavy coat on it to protect the steel from rust.

This gun is sighted in specifically for CCI Quiet ammo. Its 700fps stuff but loaded in full size LR cases so it feeds like a LR but is quieter than a .22 short

I have red Folgers cans strung up from trees all around my back yard so I can plink to my hearts delight without leaving the house

Your buddy was lucky to have you for a friend, as are we. Life is just a school. We come here to learn to be better souls, learn to love one another and when we’re done, we get to graduate and move on up. I remember making a damascus knife for my cousin. Was his favorite knife, kept it on his night table so he could see it first thing when he woke and last thing he saw when he drifted off to sleep. He died 10 years ago and the knife came back to me. We show up with nothing and return with nothing. No one really owns anything at all, we just get to take care of it for awhile

Tonight, at 6pm EST I will have a bourbon in your friends honor
Thank you for that. :)
Do you keep the knife on your night stand as well?

A little history on this gun...

This was one of the first guns I bought myself after getting married. My best friend and I would go shooting in the mountains and he always admired this gun. I ended up selling it to him at a very low price and it became his favorite gun. Many times when I'd visit him, he'd pull out this gun and we'd reminisce about the good times we had with it. It became a running joke that I should have never sold him that gun because I liked it too and sold it to him too cheap. :D

There are a lot of great memories tied up in this gun. Well, my Best Friend passed away recently and it hit me very, very, very HARD. :(

I went to another buddy's house this weekend to take my son trap shooting and try out the new shotgun I bought him for graduation. I also invited my 'nephews'/God Children (my Best Friend's kids) to come join us. It was great spending time with my son and my 'nephews'... laughing, joking, shooting, and reminiscing. After we got back to the trucks, my nephews presented me with the Ruger and said, "Pops would want you to have this." To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. This gun and that gesture means more to me than anyone can know. We all fired a round through it in my Friend's honor. :cool::thumbsup:

Terrific story John! Sorry for the loss of your friend! That .45 Blackhawk and that Texas Jack are exactly where they belong now my friend!

This was one of the first guns I bought myself after getting married. My best friend and I would go shooting in the mountains and he always admired this gun. I ended up selling it to him at a very low price and it became his favorite gun. Many times when I'd visit him, he'd pull out this gun and we'd reminisce about the good times we had with it. It became a running joke that I should have never sold him that gun because I liked it too and sold it to him too cheap. :D

There are a lot of great memories tied up in this gun. Well, my Best Friend passed away recently and it hit me very, very, very HARD. :(

I went to another buddy's house this weekend to take my son trap shooting and try out the new shotgun I bought him for graduation. I also invited my 'nephews'/God Children (my Best Friend's kids) to come join us. It was great spending time with my son and my 'nephews'... laughing, joking, shooting, and reminiscing. After we got back to the trucks, my nephews presented me with the Ruger and said, "Pops would want you to have this." To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. This gun and that gesture means more to me than anyone can know. We all fired a round through it in my Friend's honor. :cool::thumbsup:

Pretty flipping cool gesture! I’d love to be reunited with my Grandads S&W .45 Long Colt. I know where it is and a buddy is trying for me. He killed his last Moose in Alaska with it before he moved back to Montana in the late 60’s.

Thanks for telling us your story John, such a very special thing right there:thumbsup:

Pretty flipping cool gesture! I’d love to be reunited with my Grandads S&W .45 Long Colt. I know where it is and a buddy is trying for me. He killed his last Moose in Alaska with it before he moved back to Montana in the late 60’s.
That would be great. Good luck to you. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for telling us your story John, such a very special thing right there:thumbsup:
Yes, they are great kids from a great family. I'm a lucky man to be part of their lives. :cool::thumbsup:

I'm sorry to hear of your great loss John. Nonetheless a beautiful story. As Torqueguy said, he was fortunate to have you in his life. Thanks for sharing it with us and I'm glad his kids honored their dad and you by returning the blackhawk.

I'm sorry to hear of your great loss John. Nonetheless a beautiful story. As Torqueguy said, he was fortunate to have you in his life. Thanks for sharing it with us and I'm glad his kids honored their dad and you by returning the blackhawk.
Thank you, Dwight. :)

1952 Ballard rifled (pre microgroove) Marlin 39a

Bought this gun 3 years ago. Came in garbage bags. Took me 3 years to find/buy/make missing parts. Slightly different internals to newer 39a’s

Once I had it working, I dropped it off atba local gunsmith that specializes in Case Hardening. This guy is a pro. Took 6 months but was worth every minute and penny. Interesting process. Parts are heated to 1800f in a crucible filled with charcoal and bone to give it the colors you see. Once the stuff is cooked to the right temp, the whole crucible is dumped into cold, well oxygenated water. The results are breathtaking

The schmootz you see on the surface is Frog Lube. I put a heavy coat on it to protect the steel from rust.

This gun is sighted in specifically for CCI Quiet ammo. Its 700fps stuff but loaded in full size LR cases so it feeds like a LR but is quieter than a .22 short

I have red Folgers cans strung up from trees all around my back yard so I can plink to my hearts delight without leaving the house

Beautiful rifle! A great case hardening job for sure. We use that same ammo to repel determined assaults of tactical squirrels and bunnies on the castle:

PUnQSu4.jpg

The CCI in the long guns and the Aquila Colibri in handguns. They are only 420fps. All hands to the ramparts here they come again!

uFudvUd.jpg

Gorgeous wood on that Henry! I also use Super Colibris which go around 500-550 fps. Not as accurate as CCI which howitzers 40 grainers out to 110 feet and thump the heck out of an upside down folgers can

Beautiful rifle! A great case hardening job for sure. We use that same ammo to repel determined assaults of tactical squirrels and bunnies on the castle:

PUnQSu4.jpg

The CCI in the long guns and the Aquila Colibri in handguns. They are only 420fps. All hands to the ramparts here they come again!

uFudvUd.jpg

Gorgeous wood on that Henry! I also use Super Colibris which go around 500-550 fps. Not as accurate as CCI which howitzers 40 grainers out to 110 feet and thump the heck out of an upside down folgers can

Thanks. Had a guy that had me make him a water buffalo belt. He really liked it. He's a firefighter and carries a Leatherman Wave all the time. He asked if I could make him a sheath out of water buffalo leather for his wave. I told him I couldn't since the water buffalo doesn't mold well and a Wave doesn't have a lot of shape to grab. While we were talking about it I came up with the idea of using the lighter chap leather water buffalo as an overlay. He said go for it. It worked out so well I built a holster for my snake gun the same way for myself. This Mod 36 had been holstered in the only holster we have I didn't make. I bought the holster in 1983 and have used it since. Its a Safariland and while a decent holster I make a better one.

And what I came up with:

ZQhyRmV.jpg

a5ysouU.jpg

This time of year the first round is always CCI snake shot:

RTddlr6.jpg

Here's why:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzgkIDbJst8/

This big boy was coiled up in our cattle chute and why he didn't strike as I walked by just inches away, don't know. He was also just a few feet from a group of heifers we were weaning that I had come to feed. Snake gun to the rescue.

Back