1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pàdruig, Mar 1, 2017.

1. torqueguy

torqueguy Pocket Puukko Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 19, 2007
    1952 Ballard rifled (pre microgroove) Marlin 39a

Bought this gun 3 years ago. Came in garbage bags. Took me 3 years to find/buy/make missing parts. Slightly different internals to newer 39a’s

Once I had it working, I dropped it off atba local gunsmith that specializes in Case Hardening. This guy is a pro. Took 6 months but was worth every minute and penny. Interesting process. Parts are heated to 1800f in a crucible filled with charcoal and bone to give it the colors you see. Once the stuff is cooked to the right temp, the whole crucible is dumped into cold, well oxygenated water. The results are breathtaking

The schmootz you see on the surface is Frog Lube. I put a heavy coat on it to protect the steel from rust.

This gun is sighted in specifically for CCI Quiet ammo. Its 700fps stuff but loaded in full size LR cases so it feeds like a LR but is quieter than a .22 short

I have red Folgers cans strung up from trees all around my back yard so I can plink to my hearts delight without leaving the house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you for that. :)
    Do you keep the knife on your night stand as well?

torqueguy likes this.
  3. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Terrific story John! Sorry for the loss of your friend! That .45 Blackhawk and that Texas Jack are exactly where they belong now my friend!

torqueguy, JohnDF and PatrickP08 like this.
  4. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    Nightstand knife.
    [​IMG]

5. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Ron. :)

Excellent! Very nice looking knife too. :cool::thumbsup:

Half/Stop and torqueguy like this.
  6. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    Thats the evolution of Browning’s 22 Auto, from High Standard, to Colt, to Belgian FN
    Yet essentially the same gun. Started by John Moses I believe but he passed away before the final design.
    A couple Rugers because they reproduce
    [​IMG]

7. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017

Pretty flipping cool gesture! I’d love to be reunited with my Grandads S&W .45 Long Colt. I know where it is and a buddy is trying for me. He killed his last Moose in Alaska with it before he moved back to Montana in the late 60’s.

JohnDF likes this.
  8. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Thanks for telling us your story John, such a very special thing right there:thumbsup:

TheFactor and JohnDF like this.
  9. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    That would be great. Good luck to you. :cool::thumbsup:

Yes, they are great kids from a great family. I'm a lucky man to be part of their lives. :cool::thumbsup:

10. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I'm sorry to hear of your great loss John. Nonetheless a beautiful story. As Torqueguy said, he was fortunate to have you in his life. Thanks for sharing it with us and I'm glad his kids honored their dad and you by returning the blackhawk.

JohnDF likes this.
  11. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Dwight. :)

12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Beautiful rifle! A great case hardening job for sure. We use that same ammo to repel determined assaults of tactical squirrels and bunnies on the castle:

[​IMG]

The CCI in the long guns and the Aquila Colibri in handguns. They are only 420fps. All hands to the ramparts here they come again!

[​IMG]

13. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    My neighbor across the alley wanted to know about the pellets in the backside of his garage. "Well... I have this garden, see... and... um... Well, first generation Bearcat. Got by without a knife. Freds001.jpg

willard0341, Pàdruig, 315 and 4 others like this.
  14. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Not seeing a lot of knives posted... Hate to see anybody get spanked... ;) :p :D

Prester John likes this.
  15. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Actually (and I apologize for the ommision), I did have a weapon of lagamorph destruction in reserve. 745.jpg

315, torqueguy, Prester John and 2 others like this.
  16. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    I was on a rabbit hunt recently on our bicycles with friends (I am on the right in this photo). As a newbie, I did not realize that my heavy 10 was a little large for the task. The ones I shot did not make it to the game pole. rabbit hunters with bicycles (Large).jpg Walden KC1 (Large).jpg

FLymon, willard0341, Pàdruig and 9 others like this.
  17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. :cool::thumbsup:

18. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    Gorgeous wood on that Henry! I also use Super Colibris which go around 500-550 fps. Not as accurate as CCI which howitzers 40 grainers out to 110 feet and thump the heck out of an upside down folgers can

Horsewright likes this.
  19. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks. Had a guy that had me make him a water buffalo belt. He really liked it. He's a firefighter and carries a Leatherman Wave all the time. He asked if I could make him a sheath out of water buffalo leather for his wave. I told him I couldn't since the water buffalo doesn't mold well and a Wave doesn't have a lot of shape to grab. While we were talking about it I came up with the idea of using the lighter chap leather water buffalo as an overlay. He said go for it. It worked out so well I built a holster for my snake gun the same way for myself. This Mod 36 had been holstered in the only holster we have I didn't make. I bought the holster in 1983 and have used it since. Its a Safariland and while a decent holster I make a better one.

And what I came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This time of year the first round is always CCI snake shot:

[​IMG]

Here's why:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzgkIDbJst8/

This big boy was coiled up in our cattle chute and why he didn't strike as I walked by just inches away, don't know. He was also just a few feet from a group of heifers we were weaning that I had come to feed. Snake gun to the rescue.

20. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    An engraved Horsewright Tapadero in camel bone with the wife's new 1873 in .357.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]