Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

View attachment 1213290 View attachment 1213291 Really been enjoying my GP100 lately. Probably my favorite handgun I've owned.

@Beard&Owl if you would, tell me about the knives and their slips? I am particularly interested in the fixed blade.

I have a stainless Ruger Security Six that I love to take camping, the longer barrel lending to the shooting weight, and being wonderfully accurate through 25 yards, AND the price being right at the time, I would really like to have a GP100 for the slightly smaller stature with the same punch and versatility. One day...

Sorry for the radio silence. I was away last week seeking pheasants in South Dakota (with rains keeping the corn/beans/roosters in the fields, it was tough) and am stumbling to catch up with the threads. Here's what I was totin':

2JPRgNc.jpg

- Stuart

It is such a beautiful day here that I decided that I "had to" check the red dot sight on this Marlin 336C (1972) in .35 Rem. in advance of a potential feral hog hunt in a couple months (it could happen). The gun likes the new soft tip fodder that I'm feeding it. Along with us: a Gary Cunningham small hunter (2017) and an Eldon Courtney folder (1981).

xucjTHz.jpg

Yes, I know that the red dot/rail mars the classic lines of the gun, but my old eyes can't rely on the buckhorn sights for moving targets. Hunting ethics outweighed my vanity
- Stuart

It is such a beautiful day here that I decided that I "had to" check the red dot sight on this Marlin 336C (1972) in .35 Rem. in advance of a potential feral hog hunt in a couple months (it could happen). The gun likes the new soft tip fodder that I'm feeding it. Along with us: a Gary Cunningham small hunter (2017) and an Eldon Courtney folder (1981).

xucjTHz.jpg

Yes, I know that the red dot/rail mars the classic lines of the gun, but my old eyes can't rely on the buckhorn sights for moving targets. Hunting ethics outweighed my vanity
- Stuart
I like the marlin lever actions, especially before the cross bolt safety they put in the receiver. How many rounds did it take to sight your rifle in? (if it wasn’t already).
The process is not always a slam dunk for me, can lead into some frustration. Thanks for posting ode

I like the marlin lever actions, especially before the cross bolt safety they put in the receiver. How many rounds did it take to sight your rifle in? (if it wasn’t already).
The process is not always a slam dunk for me, can lead into some frustration. Thanks for posting ode

It was already set; I was just confirming, as it has been a year since I sighted-in with the spitzer soft points. I shot three rounds of .35 Rem. into a 6" circle, 1 at 50 yds and 2 at 100 yds, and, then 50 rounds of .22 LR with this Marlin (disclaimer - old picture with different cutlery totes):

I67KriU.jpg

- Stuart

The best of the best.

Thanks. I recently picked up the Model 66 from an older acquaintance who couldn't remember how or when he got the gun, but promptly put it away in his basement where it sat for years. I made him take some money for it. The rear sight elevation screw is "screwed" so I mounted a .22 scope that I had at hand (with rimfire rings that clamp to the dovetail cuts in the receiver). Sighted at 50 yards, it printed several half dollar groups (if I did my job). Minute of squirrel is close enough for me.
- Stuart

D Duckdog

Stuart, those 66’s are handy. Wasn’t too many years ago it was common to see them stashed everywhere. The rare ones are bringing some astonishing prices.

D Duckdog

Stuart, those 66’s are handy. Wasn’t too many years ago it was common to see them stashed everywhere. The rare ones are bringing some astonishing prices.

Yes, Jerry, at 4 lbs. (sans scope) they are easy to handle. I may try to fix the rear sight and remove the scope one day, but it's a good truck gun now. The green and black versions are "precious". I'm humbled by what I paid for it, but my buddy said, "I'm not shooting it anymore, so you take it, bud." I put some cash in his wife's hand (so that I could sleep at night).
- Stuart

Back