Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Cool design and great build.
But as a guy, it always makes me uncomfortable to carry a gun pointed there. :eek:
I think they call that the "appendix carry".... but I think of it more like the "gonad carry". I'll stick with the strong side at about 2:30 or so, depending on my belt loops.

If it’s a Victory Model, it would have been parkerized and have a lanyard swivel. If the hole has been plugged, that’s a clue. .38-200, .38 S&W with a 200 grain bullet was the correct load.
JB thanks for joining the discussion. I took a closer look at the Victory models. tongueriver was kind enough to send me scans from a couple of his books that had info on the 38 S&W revolver.
Even though they are commonly called a pre 10, Smith named them the .38 Hand Ejector M&P. Mine is the 1905 (4th change) model apparently made for the British Common wealth and chambered in .38/200 or .38 S&W.
S&W began producing the Victory Models at serial number 1,000,000 in 1942. The serial number on mine is 731,xxx making it a ca 1939 to 1940 model. With over 6,000,000 produced there are many survivors and an interesting collectable.

JB thanks for joining the discussion. I took a closer look at the Victory models. tongueriver was kind enough to send me scans from a couple of his books that had info on the 38 S&W revolver.
Even though they are commonly called a pre 10, Smith named them the .38 Hand Ejector M&P. Mine is the 1905 (4th change) model apparently made for the British Common wealth and chambered in .38/200 or .38 S&W.
S&W began producing the Victory Models at serial number 1,000,000 in 1942. The serial number on mine is 731,xxx making it a ca 1939 to 1940 model. With over 6,000,000 produced there are many survivors and an interesting collectable.

Its a commercial model .38/200 British Service Revolver, the Victory models had a V or VS prefix, April 1940 production began with SN 70000, the grips should be numbered to the gun, the monograms were early production. The contract for 4” versions was by the British Purchasing Commission 6/17/40.

The 4” barrels were not uncommon so it might not have been cut down, all were equipped with butt swivels. On most pre war guns the SN was under the barrel, on the front of the cylinder, in addition to the butt. Nice condition, the grips were usually trashed during the war. My information comes from “Smith and Wesson 1857 -1945” by Robert Neal & Roy Jinks.

iTmOYYc.jpg

Remington Baby Bullet lockback, 1984. (Thanks, JohnDF JohnDF .) The gun is a S&W Model 66 with 2 1/2" barrel. The cartridges pictured are .357 Magnum, 110 gr semi-jacketed hollow points, which was the duty round of the United States Border Patrol about 1996, when they switched over to autos. I think the BP went with the .357 Sig, if I recall. Most agencies went with the .40 S&W. An agent gave me two boxes back then, since he didn't need them anymore. (Incidentally, I don't think most cops know how to shoot revolvers anymore; I had a Texas Ranger -- lawman, not baseball player -- ask me how a revolver worked. :eek: I was shocked, but guess I shouldn't have been.) After many years, I finally shot one of the boxes, and have about 2/3 left of the other box. I've shot lots of other ammo, though. And a LOT of .45 ACP. And .38 Special.

Have a Happy Fourth of July everyone!

One of my biggest gripes is in the movies and TV shows. I hate it when somebody hands somebody else a revolver and says, "Don't worry, the safety is on". Stupid Hollywood. :mad:
I don't know how many times I've been reading a novel and a character mentions the safety on their Glock. You'd think that if an author was going to be specific about the gun his character is carrying, they could do 5 minutes of internet research View attachment 1371350

Great picture right there. :cool::thumbsup:

One of my biggest gripes is in the movies and TV shows. I hate it when somebody hands somebody else a revolver and says, "Don't worry, the safety is on". Stupid Hollywood. :mad:
Not just Hollywood.
In the book Gorky Park, our hero locates the safety catch on the left side of the revolver. (Being Russian, the character is unfamiliar with revolvers, but that doesn't excuse the author .)

Not just Hollywood.
In the book Gorky Park, our hero locates the safety catch on the left side of the revolver. (Being Russian, the character is unfamiliar with revolvers, but that doesn't excuse the author .)
It may be a stretch to help the writers and probably not what they had in mind but some of the newer S&W have the Hillary hole on the left

Back