Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

I read of a Texas Ranger who carried a .45 Auto (1911) cocked and unlocked, with the grip safety tied down with a leather strap, tucked into his waistband in front. I wouldn't do that.
My Dad had a friend who some time in the seventies stuck a .22 revolver behind his belt buckle. Well once while drawing it he managed to have whats known nowadays as a "negligent discharge, and shot himself through the tip of his...uh "barrel". He henceforth was nicknamed "Hollowpoint". :eek:
Good dang thing it wasn't a .45 or he'd had to change his name to something feminine o_O

And I must admit I never heard of a Hillary hole.
[I looked it up.]
I think he's referring to a lock that was installed on guns during Bill Clinton's presidency. S&W put a hole just above the cylinder release latch so you could use a key to lock the gun. :eek: Stupid idea. Other makers put the lock in more hidden places. Very ugly. Will not buy one. And I don't want a revolver that locks! Mine stay loaded and ready to go.

I think he's referring to a lock that was installed on guns during Bill Clinton's presidency. S&W put a hole just above the cylinder release latch so you could use a key to lock the gun. :eek: Stupid idea. Other makers put the lock in more hidden places. Very ugly. Will not buy one. And I don't want a revolver that locks! Mine stay loaded and ready to go.
I finally caught up with the late 19th century and got an auto. Though I still love my H&R .22 9-shooter.

I also carry in this manner....full magazine but none in the chamber. I believe it's called carrying "Israeli style"...after the Israeli police/military
I believe the US military used to carry the 1911 this way too, in a holster with a flap. Whereas some police agencies, such as the Texas Rangers, carried cocked and locked. I like the term "Israeli style"!

I believe the US military used to carry the 1911 this way too, in a holster with a flap. Whereas some police agencies, such as the Texas Rangers, carried cocked and locked. I like the term "Israeli style"!
I believe Fairbairn and Sykes trained their Hong Kong Police to carry with an empty chamber too.

Col Cooper called it Condition Three, loaded magazine, empty chamber, hammer down....US Military procedure when the 1911 was standard issue.

Condition One is cocked and locked. Not a good option for 1911's with ambidextrous safeties though, where the exposed safety can be swiped off.

Col Cooper called it Condition Three, loaded magazine, empty chamber, hammer down....US Military procedure when the 1911 was standard issue.

Condition One is cocked and locked. Not a good option for 1911's with ambidextrous safeties though, where the exposed safety can be swiped off.
And Condition Two was hammer down on a round?

I'm in Canada, so I don't have handguns. They're fun to shoot, but we can't use them anywhere other than a range, so I never bothered getting a restricted licence. I do hunt though, and I have a few long guns. Here's my 1943 SMLE mkiii* (.303 British) with my CV medium stockman.
yUflrvC.jpg

Nice pic! I would imagine quite a few British guns made it into Canada. What is the structure on the top of the receiver? I don't recognize it.
Thanks. It's been said that more moose in Canada have been shot with an enfield than with all other guns combined. Not sure if there's any truth to that, but it wouldn't surprise me that much. There's a ton of them here. The structure on the receiver is a guide where a stripper clip would have been loaded. It also stops the bolt from moving too far backwards when working the action.

I'm in Canada, so I don't have handguns. They're fun to shoot, but we can't use them anywhere other than a range, so I never bothered getting a restricted licence. I do hunt though, and I have a few long guns. Here's my 1943 SMLE mkiii* (.303 British) with my CV medium stockman.
yUflrvC.jpg
I think there was a version of the SMLE made in India(?) in .308 NATO. I sure would like to come across one of those.

Back