Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Good info. :thumbsup:

The .44 henry rimfire was a 200 or 216 grain bullet that went around 1100 FPS out of a henry, ballistics easily obtained (and easily superseded) out of a handgun these days. It had the usual rainbow shaped trajectory like other large and slow moving black powder cartridges. The scene in lonesome dove where Gus shoots one of the scalpers from a couple hundred yards away with his henry is a really good example of how the rifle and cartridge worked, and was an impressive shot.
I always thought he should have gotten at least one more. He had the range, and they were momentarily stunned.

But was that a Henry?

Ruger made the similar Hawkeye back in the 60s, single shot with rotating “cylinder” chambered in .256 Win Mag that looked to the world like a single action revolver (i.e., six shooter).
You have to be a Ruger fan...I have R. L. Wilson's book Ruger And His Guns, there's a write up about it and pictures.

I always thought he should have gotten at least one more. He had the range, and they were momentarily stunned.

But was that a Henry?

It was. They are easily spotted since they have no handguard. It was common practice by henry users to wear a leather glove on their support hand to protect it from the heat of the barrel. The winchester 1866 looked almost the same as a henry except it had a handguard and side loading gate on the receiver.

Posted pages and pages ago but a repost might be in order considering. An Uberti 1873 in .357:

ruSfntV.jpg

mCA14Ax.jpg

BW8D1T8.jpg

Buw6iKv.jpg

And when better to examine a modern Henry Original in.44-40 than the 4th of July:

RJd3nt5.jpg

As was mentioned no forearm:

1uRRelE.jpg

These folks ended up trading my ranching partner a pretty pristine Colt 1903 for the Henry.

7SZqLaR.jpg

ioRPtkD.jpg

Last edited:
It was. They are easily spotted since they have no handguard. It was common practice by henry users to wear a leather glove on their support hand to protect it from the heat of the barrel. The winchester 1866 looked almost the same as a henry except it had a handguard and side loading gate on the receiver.
Maybe my mind is averaging several TV movies with Robert Duval in the same hat.

Finally found out some history on my granddads gun. It was shipped in 1914. Makes it a model 1905. I am pretty certain this has been a lifelong military gun, it is the M&P 38 Special. I am pretty certain from what I can remember is that it was my granddads pistol from the Korean War. If only it could talk, I’d love to hear it’s stories.

If only it could talk, I’d love to hear it’s stories.
"I spent most of my life in a holster."?

Based on the condition of the bluing.

Shipped 1914, 3 years before US entered WW1.
I'd think more likely it was a civilian purchase. Civilians could buy the M&P model. (Can still buy the current M&P)

I had a later version, Number 10 M&P, chambered for .38 Spcl and .357 Mag. in the late '80's. As far as I know, it was never military ( no "Property of USA/US GOVERNMENT" stamp) nor issued by any law enforcement agency. (No Police Dept./Sheriff/Highway Patrol markings.)
If your's was military issue, it will have "Property of USA" or "Property of US Government" stamped on the barrel or frame ... most likely on the barrel.

Is yours a J frame? Mine was.

If your grandfather did use it in Korea, (quite possible) he brought it with him. Standard issue sidearm was the 1911.
I think some officers did get a revolver, in either .45 ACP (required half moon clips) or .38 Spcl, so his quartermaster or supply sergeant could supply him with ammo for it. Or, he may have brought a few boxes of non-expanding cartridges with him.
(Troops using expanding bullets in war is an international no-no.)

Wonderful example.

"I spent most of my life in a holster."?

Based on the condition of the bluing.

Shipped 1914, 3 years before US entered WW1.
I'd think more likely it was a civilian purchase. Civilians could buy the M&P model. (Can still buy the current M&P)

I had a later version, Number 10 M&P, chambered for .38 Spcl and .357 Mag. in the late '80's. As far as I know, it was never military ( no "Property of USA/US GOVERNMENT" stamp) nor issued by any law enforcement agency. (No Police Dept./Sheriff/Highway Patrol markings.)
If your's was military issue, it will have "Property of USA" or "Property of US Government" stamped on the barrel or frame ... most likely on the barrel.

Is yours a J frame? Mine was.

If your grandfather did use it in Korea, (quite possible) he brought it with him. Standard issue sidearm was the 1911.
I think some officers did get a revolver, in either .45 ACP (required half moon clips) or .38 Spcl, so his quartermaster or supply sergeant could supply him with ammo for it. Or, he may have brought a few boxes of non-expanding cartridges with him.
(Troops using expanding bullets in war is an international no-no.)

Wonderful example.
One of the old timers helping me out was almost thinking it may have been reblued at some point. Not sure though, and it is the 5 screw K frame. You are probably right about it not being a military gun, I would imagine it may be stamped as US property of it was. But I’m no expert.

Love those cowboy guns Dave!

When it comes to guns and knives I am a bigger fan of the classics.

View attachment 1653771

I also like that 1911 model Chunk ! The ACP just didn't have enough poop behind it for the mountains!
The second Uberti I acquired was this handgun. After I worked up loads for the `66 I traded a Ruger Redhawk in for this Colt re-production. It fit both my hand and my needs better. I did find that I had to back off a couple grains on the powder because she was just to hard to hang onto! With the `66 model I did my usual work up of different powders and slugs to find the one combination that had the tightest group. Then just kept bumping up the powder until the brass started to bulge and back it off one grain. Got her steppin out there pretty good!
IMG_3093.jpgIMG_3094.jpg

PS Just like with an original I keep the chamber under the hammer empty!!

Dave

Last edited:
Speaking of .44 Henry rimfire, one time I was camping at the tarn at 11,600' above Guitar Lake on the west slope of Mt Whitney and I found a fired case. I picked it up and saw that it was rimfire, struck in two places on opposite sides of the rim, with an H in the middle of the head. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that it was a Henry rimfire. That same tarn used to have a structure of some kind, I have found square nails there.

This is a modern Shilo Sharps 45/70 Made right down the road a piece!
View attachment 1653746
View attachment 1653748

The Shilo comes in at 11 pounds according to my bathroom scale! 😏 The Original comes in at 8 pounds!

Dave

What makes the Shiloh so much heavier than the original? Do they have the same barrel length? Does the Shiloh have a noticeably heavier barrel or thicker stock?

An 8lb rifle would have a little kick with a .45-70 load. The velocity wasn't that high but they were throwing a pretty big piece of lead.

Back