Traditional knives and records

28328243438_204d7b40a5_h.jpg

Thick As A Brick!

Of course it is!

AFEFoWA.jpg

Original pressing, as far as I can tell, with the 12 page newspaper still intact.

I remember reading somewhere that they chose the newspaper idea because the Beatles hadn't done it yet. Of course, "Thick as a Brick" was recorded and released after the Beatles had broken up, so I don't know if that's quite true. It is true, regardless, that they were the first, which is intentionally ironic because the "concept album" is very much a mockery and parody of so-called "concept albums" that were all the rage those days in prog-rock, and if they hadn't come up with the idea, someone else most definitely would have within a short while.

In "Almost Famous", vaunted Rolling Stones writer Lester Bangs (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) rags on Jethro Tull being fatuous pseudo-blubber while holding "Thick as a Brick", completely missing the point that it was entirely deliberate.

I always loved "Thick as a Brick" for its musical qualities. The lyrics might be, subjectively, nonsense, but musically it's an extremely interesting piece of music.

Another mystery album. Inside art, not the cover. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out though.

4LM4h5S.jpg
Aaron, what's the Canal Street knife, and how big is it? It reminds me of Rough Rider's Improved Muskrat on which one of the clips is exchanged for a sheepsfoot.

- GT

Aaron, what's the Canal Street knife, and how big is it? It reminds me of Rough Rider's Improved Muskrat on which one of the clips is exchanged for a sheepsfoot.

- GT

Hawbaker Special. Red Hill Cutlery exclusive. 4" closed (standard for all muskrats), 14-4 CrMo blades. If my memory serves me, it was the first traditional knife I bought after getting in to them. Mine's the "carmel bone", number 16. Very well made (not perfect, but still very nice), and with a single spring construction.

The muskrat knife had twin clip blades for skinning because the dirty fur would dull them quickly (giving you twice as long before needing sharpening), but Stanley Hawbaker preferred a straight edge combined with the curved for more versatility.

05_scaled.jpg

From what I've gathered "improved" on a muskrat means any change from the original single spring 2 clip blade design, as I've seen "improved" 2 spring 2 clip blade ones and "improved" Hawbakers on both one and 2 springs. I don't know why Rough Rider eschews the Hawbaker name, but it wouldn't be the only time they've eschewed convention for their patterns.

Last edited:
Hawbaker Special. Red Hill Cutlery exclusive. 4" closed (standard for all muskrats), 14-4 CrMo blades. If my memory serves me, it was the first traditional knife I bought after getting in to them. Mine's the "carmel bone", number 16. Very well made (not perfect, but still very nice), and with a single spring construction.

The muskrat knife had twin clip blades for skinning because the dirty fur would dull them quickly (giving you twice as long before needing sharpening), but Stanley Hawbaker preferred a straight edge combined with the curved for more versatility.

View attachment 909366

From what I've gathered "improved" on a muskrat means any change from the original single spring 2 clip blade design, as I've seen "improved" 2 spring 2 clip blade ones and "improved" Hawbakers on both one and 2 springs. I don't know why Rough Rider eschews the Hawbaker name, but it wouldn't be the only time they've eschewed convention for their patterns.
Thanks for the very informative discussion of Hawbaker version of the muskrat pattern! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Back